User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2009, 04:32 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

With the way the chose to write this story they left the door wide open for the future of Trek, which seems to be one thing a lot of hard core Trek fans can't seem to get past.
Old 05-23-2009, 05:29 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001 View Post
With the way the chose to write this story they left the door wide open for the future of Trek, which seems to be one thing a lot of hard core Trek fans can't seem to get past.
Similar problem applies to a lot of die-hard G1 Transformer fans who think that the robots should look exactly as they did in the cartoon series and don't wanna grasp the fantasy concept that they are an alien robotic race. You should see some of the arguing that goes on over on the Transformers movie forum!

:lol2:

Speaking about Transformers, is it June 24th yet?! "Revenge is Coming...." :bow:

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."
Old 05-23-2009, 11:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001 View Post
I used to be a die hard trekkie, guess I grew out of it for the most part. But at any rate, what die hards don't like is when they change the cannon. I.E. if in the original series they said Kirk did one thing, then in a newer movie they show him doing something else, it destroys the storyline of the entire franchise. One of the most amazing things about star trek is how over 35 years eveything for the most part, matches up across all of the series and movies, makes for a very indepth and rich storyline and story world. One of the most interesting things is how in the original series Klingons looked much more 'human' then they did many years later when makeup artistry was much better. They weaved in a storyline about it, explaining how an experiment during the original series left many klingons looking a lot like humans, and that story has been touched up on across nearly all of the series and one of the movies.

There was a time when text based fantasy role playing games where fairly popular, and there where a couple of ST based ones I used to live... err play on . Ahh those where the days... I was the richest independent trader on 2 of them! On the one I even bought the friggin Romulan empire and ran its economy Bear in mind that game had literally about 10,000 players, and at any given time usually a few hundred where on at a time, the entire game was ran by real people, no NPC's. Similar in concept to something like world of warcraft, except it was text based, and the entire system was ran by people. If you bought a phaser, someone on that game owned a factory that made it, which transported it on a merchant ship, to a warehouse somewhere, where it would of got sold to someone, again a real person, who would of loaded it into a vending machine to sell it. Then to take it even further, that factory required raw materials, so someone in that game owned and operated mines, which mined raw material, then someone else would of transported the raw material to a warehouse, where someone else who owned refineries and factories would of produced the materials needed to manufactor that item. Very similar to the real world in setup. Man I miss that game . I spent a good solid 4 or so years playing that game more hours than any person should ever spend playing a game. Hell I produced nearly half the starships for the independents, a good majority of the starships for smaller empires, and even had contracts with the Federation, Romulans, and Klingons to produce starships for them! Not to mention I owned 20 asteroids, mining rights on 10 different planets, mined all of my own raw materials, and had all of the factories and refineries to produce every single part needed to manufactor a ship. Also owned 2 of my own starbases, had my own military, and employed nearly 50 real people who played the game and worked for me .

Ok that is enough ranting about the game...

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 05-23-2009, 06:38 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyanide View Post
Similar problem applies to a lot of die-hard G1 Transformer fans who think that the robots should look exactly as they did in the cartoon series and don't wanna grasp the fantasy concept that they are an alien robotic race. You should see some of the arguing that goes on over on the Transformers movie forum!

:lol2:

Speaking about Transformers, is it June 24th yet?! "Revenge is Coming...." :bow:

that comes out 6 days after my 26th birthday. i wanna see it! i hope it turns out better than crap-ass terminator salvation.
Old 05-23-2009, 07:01 PM
Senior Board Member

I've been a follower of Star Trek and Star Wars since they first came out.

My big complaint about 'prequel's" is that the displayed technology seems to always be more advanced than the orignal shows/movies.

Haven't had a chance to go see the movie yet.
Old 05-23-2009, 08:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dle View Post
I've been a follower of Star Trek and Star Wars since they first came out.

My big complaint about 'prequel's" is that the displayed technology seems to always be more advanced than the orignal shows/movies.

Haven't had a chance to go see the movie yet.
You are right about that, the bridge of the Enterprise looked way more advanced then in the original series!

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 05-24-2009, 03:15 PM
Senior Board Member

One thing people need to realize about the new Trek is that this is not a prequel, and it really is not a re-imaged version of the show either. For lack of a better term it is a reboot of the entire franchise.

I find it highly ironic though that many self proclaimed Trek and/or sci-fi fans are having such a difficult time accepting and wrapping their heads around the alternate time line concept. This is something that has been explored in numerous Trek episodes as well as many other sci-fi venues. The only real difference is this time the time line was not restored as it typically is.