User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2009, 03:56 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Diamond Shamrock T/S Wichita Falls TX

Does anyone know if this T/S is still there or if they have done anything with the buildings?

I changed tires and fueled truck there on the weekends when I was in the military. I know it shut down quite some time ago but the last time I was through there the building was still empty. Just curious if its still there had some good times there at night and some of the best simple cheeseburgers and fries Ive had in a long time. Just curious is all, thanks

Tom
Old 05-05-2009, 04:51 PM
Board Icon

Are you talking about "Momma's Truckstop" on 287/Farm Road 369? They bull dozed it down, a long time ago. I do farm work for an outfit that has land north of the highway. We used to stop and eat in there. Good stuff.
If not, exactly where is the Diamond Shamrock Truckstop?
We have Jolly Truckstop, south of town on 287, but I don't remember it being a Diamond Shamrock.

http://watsonsysco.com/

Last edited by Jackrabbit379; 05-05-2009 at 04:56 PM. Reason: typos. ugh!
Old 05-05-2009, 10:19 PM

Im pretty sure it was a diamond shamrock, maybe not cant remember. I remember it was on 287 and I think someone put in a shell or something right across the highway. the original company that owned it in 2000 sold it to the guy who managed it I wanna say his name was Bob, and it wasnt too long after that he lost it cause he ran it into the ground. I think the name of the resteraunt was mommas now that I think of it. Been a long time ago since I worked there and havent been threw there in so long I didnt know what ever happnened to the place. Got to drive my first truck with a sleeper on that lot. Wasnt uncommon for the bull haulers to just tell me when your through fillin it just pull it around and park it for me. Thanks for the info. I appreciate it.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:59 PM
Board Regular

Jackrabbit is right, the Momma's was the name of it, it was at 287/369 and has been bulldozed. Had some good food there, you just couldn't be too picky about cleanliness Almost got killed in the parking lot one night when I met my girlfriend there. Her dad didn't like me and showed up with a gun.

Now across the street where the new truck stop is, used to be a Texaco (I think) named Lone Star Truckstop. Good, Clean, always had some great food! It burned down several years ago. Supposed accidental but looked like about 50 gallons of gasoline was used to set it. The owner conveniently answered his phone in Houston while the fire was burning when the Law Enforcement called him (WAY before cell phones). Funny thing was that our video happened to catch him standing in the background watching the fire. They never proved he set it and couldn't prove who answered the phone or that it 100% was him at the scene. No insurance money was paid out due to the suspicious circumstances and him being there while answering the phone 350 miles away at the same time.

I had 4 pool balls that were melted together in the fire for a long time. Don't know what happened to them though. Made a good conversation piece!
Old 05-06-2009, 01:43 AM

Yeah not being picky about the cleanliness is right. One restroom in the whole place and it had the shower in it. Had to clean that thing at least twice a night. a Buddy of mine was airing up a tire one night underneath the porch and blew the side wall straight up. If that job paid more it woulda been better. Was a decent job though. If itd been a little bigger with more restrooms and cleaner itd a been a nice place but then the food may have tasted the same.
Old 05-06-2009, 03:24 PM
Board Icon

I was assuming that you were talking about Mamma's. It was the only Diamond Shamrock that I remember.
Yeah, they didn't exactly keep it so clean you could eat off the floor, but the food was good. The bathrooms needed an overhaul.
thbogle, you could have fixed one of our tractor tires. We used to get our flats fixed there. The Mesquites kept that tire shop busy. :lol:
I don't remember exactly what happened, but I think Momma died. Her sons either closed the restaurant, or sold it. Not long after that, the truck stop just went to pot. I don't know if Momma owned it too, or just the restaurant. They finally just bulldozed the whole place, several years ago. It's just a big lot that has lots of weeds and junk. I remember the cowhaulers used to park in back. Used to see a lot of them there.

I remember the Lone Star truck stop. That place was always packed.
They built another one where the Lone Star was, but it's closed now I think. I don't ever see anyone there. There is another one there, too, across the street, but I've never been in there. It's basically a convenient store.

Old 05-07-2009, 05:32 AM

Yeah quite possibly. I seen a lot of flats and a lot of road calls (we did those in our own personal vehicles) and way too many trucks. I only worked on Friday and saturday nights from 6p-6a but when ever the day shift guy called in id end up working the days too. I cant count the times when Id get there on friday night and wouldnt leave till sunday night. I know when the manager bought the place the restaraunt closed and they were dumping tons of money in it. They were trying to get the restaraunt up to code. oh well. after the restauraunt closed I would have to walk across the highway to the other truckstop and get something from the subway. thanks for all the info on this. Always nice to know what happened to places i havent seen in forever.
Old 05-07-2009, 04:21 PM
Board Icon

I think, the place across the highway that has the Subway closed. I usually glance over there when I'm going over the overpass, and there isn't anyone around there. It looks like it's empty inside.

That's really neat that you worked there. Small world.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:40 PM

Yeah it is a small small world. Was in Wichita Falls for 1.5 years. Had an apartment out by grahms central station part of the time and rented a house in Iowa Park for a while. used to spend a lot of time out at Texas Night Life. Was a wonderful place to live and I really liked it at Sheppard.
Old 05-07-2009, 07:43 PM
Board Icon

Yeah, I like it here. Not too big, but not so small.

I was wondering if you were stationed at Sheppard.