User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-17-2009, 05:03 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default More than 1,000 drivers must take test again

Sorry if this has already been posted. I believe I noted mention of it, but not a link to the interweb news article about it.

More than 1,000 truckers must take test again : Millington Tipton : Memphis Commercial Appeal
Old 01-17-2009, 05:30 PM
Board Regular

Guarantee it couldn't have been as blatantly bad as the test I took when the national CDL format was adopted and Texas began testing. There were over 100 drivers that assembled for a "CDL Class." The License examiner told us he was sick and instead of teaching the class he was going to pass out the test and everyone had 3 chances to pass it. I passed the first time with no problem. The ones that had missed too many were handed back the same test answer sheet with the incorrect answers circled in red and a new answer sheet to take the 2nd try on. Needless to say with only 4 choices and knowing which ones you had already gotten wrong, everyone passed!

Unfortunately, these are NOT isolated cases. Just a few months ago I went to a testing facility to have my background test done for my Hazmat Endorsement. I filled out a form, was fingerprinted and my ID photo taken. At no time at the testing facility was any type of ID checked.

Problem with these systems are that the testing agents are often low paid individuals who really have no incentive other than a few bucks to do the right thing.

As for the Swift thing, this shows how stupid our government is to allow a school to test their own students! Gee, do I want to fail this guy and give a black mark against our school or falsify the exam and pass him to make our school look better, thereby ensuring that I have a job! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that one coming!
Old 01-17-2009, 09:43 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
Swifties......:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

I believe the article is reflective on the company, and not the drivers.
Old 01-17-2009, 10:20 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel View Post
Swifties......:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:
I was honest to goodness just about to post that it was too bad you weren't here to join the fracas. I'm wrong on two points . . you're here and there's no fracas!

Has the swelling gone down in the whip welts? Welcome back, regardless.
Old 01-18-2009, 12:04 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dobry4u View Post
I believe the article is reflective on the company, and not the drivers.
I believe the quality of the company, and the companies actions reflect on the drivers as well. It's too bad that so many drivers that should have gotten a much better start in this career didn't. At the same time, a person can get to be a very good driver without all the proper training. If you've ever found out what more questions you should have asked your trainer by learning the answer on your own...

Another unfortunate part of it is that with companies like CR England, and Swift, the new drivers don't know any better and think that's what this industry is like. They have to other experience to draw on.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:36 AM
Senior Board Member

Hang on a minute! Is it a black eye for Swift? Of course it is. How the heck can anyone take this story and arrive at Windwalkers conclusion/condemnation? Did you bother to read the article?

The FBI raided the place and this is what they came away with . .

From the article:

"The Department of Safety "has information indicating a third-party testing company did not administer the skills test in accordance" with state rules, the agency stated."

As in what? The alley dock lines weren't parallel?

Do you really think the FBI went in there to investigate the states business? Get a clue.

The FBI went in there looking for something far more sinister than this. This reads to me like a gang of thugs who didn't find what they were looking for but weren't willing to walk away empty handed. There is no crime, no charges, no trial and . . oops . . there's going to be a penalty! It's the oldest and dirtiest trick in the law enforcement handbook.

Your sweeping indictment of me and my fellow posters is woefully misplaced.
Old 01-18-2009, 02:01 PM
Board Icon

I was not trying to imply that there was any kind of black eye for the drivers. But for the company, there certainly is. Swift KNEW what was going on. If they had not ALLOWED it to go on, it would not have. But, is it the only place where that sort of thing is going on? NO!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaldeagle655
As for the Swift thing, this shows how stupid our government is to allow a school to test their own students! Gee, do I want to fail this guy and give a black mark against our school or falsify the exam and pass him to make our school look better, thereby ensuring that I have a job! Doesn't take a rocket scientist to see that one coming!
And, they'll keep it up until they get caught.
Quote:
The Department of Safety did not name Swift Driving Academy in Millington, but that's the company whose relationship with the state exploded last February.
Swift trained thousands of drivers, had employees specially designated to administer license tests on behalf of the state, and was the only company in Tennessee that actually housed a state testing center.
Swift also arranged for thousands of students to get a Tennessee license even though they lived out of state.
The Millington motel where the students were housed for three weeks of driving school was established as their legal residence.
It all came to a halt -- the third-party testing and motel residency -- when the FBI led a raid on Swift's school in Millington and terminal in Memphis on Feb. 25.
Swift is implicated up to their ears, just not charged. The same thing if a driver has an accident... The company doesn't know them anymore. How many drivers have we had come to this board and tell us that after one accident, they were terminated? There's one just recently looking for a company that he can work for with a roll-over.

A few years ago, I crossed TX on roads that were wet ice. Golfhobo ran the same road, the same day. I lost count of how many trucks were off the road, jackknifed, and rolled over. Did all those drivers lose their jobs? I doubt it. But the Swift drivers that lost control certainly did. Why? Because their training was incomplete. I put it right back on the company and TEAM TRAINING.

The company (Swift) allowed it, and the drivers are the victims.

Old 01-18-2009, 02:16 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
A few years ago, I crossed TX on roads that were wet ice. Golfhobo ran the same road, the same day. I lost count of how many trucks were off the road, jackknifed, and rolled over. Did all those drivers lose their jobs? I doubt it. But the Swift drivers that lost control certainly did. Why? Because their training was incomplete. I put it right back on the company and TEAM TRAINING.
With all due respect, Windwalker, :bow:I am not understanding what you mean. If there were many drivers, including Swift drivers that were off the road, jackknifed, and rolled over why would Swift Training be singled out as incomplete if the results were no different then the training received by the other companies' drivers with these mishaps? If the Swift drivers lost their jobs and not the others wouldn't this be due to Swift company policy and not the training?
Old 01-18-2009, 03:15 PM
Senior Board Member

You all need to remember, it's only been 4 years, since Illinois had their own "CDL scam" scandal. That is the "State of". If you recall, the state had numerous testers and auditors involved in passing failed tests. Even the governor...(what was his name...Ryan?) was implicated.

SWIFT is simply the first major company to be associated with a scam right out of the gate.