User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2009, 09:54 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Photo Enforcement Zones (i.e. Phoenix, Az.)

In my short couple of years experience of OTR driving I personally never came across a state or city that had the "Photo Enforcement Zones" like they do here in Phoenix, Az. Every couple of miles here, especially on the I-10 they have cameras with flash set up to take pictures of speeders. On some occasions they will have a State Trooper SUV set up on the side of the road with cameras and flash ready for war and especially in construction zones I've noticed! Before I relocated to Phoenix I was pretty intimidated of these cameras and always slowed way down just to make sure I wasn't ever photographed. Now that I started my new job here, the guy that trained me informed me of these cameras that they are set up to take your picture only if you are exceeding 75m.p.h. but of course you still have to look out for the almighty Trooper himself! Now with the speed limits here in Phoenix along I-10 at 65m.p.h I think that is plenty fast especially for trucks going thru a major metropolitan area, but I've been curious if any of you or anyone you know has ever been photographed speeding thru here and how much your/their ticket was?Even though some of our company trucks go well over 70mph, I wait til I get out of town and the speed limits are 75mph to hit the metal with my petal.

The other thing I would like to know is...do any of you agree with these cameras, should other cities follow?? I think it's funny because the locals here very well know these cameras are there and they still drive thru here doing 75-80 and sure enough the flashers go off.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:36 PM
Senior Board Member

not set up to go off if you're driving at 75mph or higher. they will go off if you're 5mph or more over the speed limit.

the northbound AZ51 doesn't have any photo radars. sometimes there'll be a dps suv posted. most of the time, there isn't. so, speed on driver, speed on!
Old 04-09-2009, 10:37 PM
Rookie

From what I've been hearing, there will be many more cities and states following these same steps. Big brother watching I suppose.
Old 04-09-2009, 10:41 PM
Rookie

They have had cameras in town for quite a while. A couple of years ago they put cameras up on the 101 that goes around Phoenix. They clocked a motorcycle at 149 mph. Showed it on TV. The first thirty days the cameras were on and working but tickets were not issued while they worked the bugs out. They provided the speed stats to the media. It was amazing how many were clocked at over 100 mph. The average speed clocked during certain parts of the day was over 85.

There are a lot of people that complain about the camers, but they are installed to cause people to follow the law. They give you 10 over the speed limit before they ticket you. People even complain about the cameras at the traffic lights. Phoenix had the worst problem with people running traffic lights. At least they have the courtesy to put signs up telling you there is a camera at the intersection.

Since they are giving you some leeway concerning the speed, I say if you get caught you were probably going too fast.
Old 04-09-2009, 11:01 PM
Board Regular

Syncro, that's what I thought too, but as I stated the guy that trained me told me their set up to take your picture if your going over 75mph, and one of the days I trained with him we had a truck governed at 73mph and I clearly remember him having the cruise set at 71mph, of course this was at 2:30a.m. so there wasnt much traffic, but anyways none of the cameras went off and we went from I-10 and Broadway all the way out to the MC85 towards Yuma to one of the dairies.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:40 AM
Senior Board Member

I just got one in the mail in IL for turning right on a red light. I'm fighting it, because the sign "when pedestrians are present" is more than visible.

IL has the van type deal with a camera sticking out the top to give speeding tickets in construction zones.
Old 04-11-2009, 01:05 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanditsCousin View Post
I just got one in the mail in IL for turning right on a red light. I'm fighting it, because the sign "when pedestrians are present" is more than visible.

That's the one thing I dislike about the camera's, they only show the infraction, they don't give the whole picture like it would be with a cop sitting there. You could get a ticket for a red light because you slid thru the intersection due to ice on the road whereas a cop would be leaning towards letting you go due to the weather.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:05 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy View Post
Syncro, that's what I thought too, but as I stated the guy that trained me told me their set up to take your picture if your going over 75mph, and one of the days I trained with him we had a truck governed at 73mph and I clearly remember him having the cruise set at 71mph, of course this was at 2:30a.m. so there wasnt much traffic, but anyways none of the cameras went off and we went from I-10 and Broadway all the way out to the MC85 towards Yuma to one of the dairies.
Wimpy, the speed is 65 mph.....he was going 6 over, that won't set it off, but according to my BIL who is a cop in Prescott....they will give you 7 mph over before they ticket you. The cameras that were setup on the 101 through Scottsdale had a 30 day forgivness policy when they first turned them on......to bad that moron that was doing 107 in his car and mooned the camera did it on like day 35.:clap:

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee