User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2009, 04:39 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86 View Post
Those figures would work if you drove the full 11 hours each and every day. Most days I drive maybe 8-9 hours. Most weeks I have 2.5 days off. Most days I run through the mountains and in the east where I'm lucky to bump my governor that's set at 64mph. That 3mph wouldn't mean jack to me.
Sucks to be YOU!!!! Well feel lucky you even have a job with the way the economy is today! With what you wrote back, you understand what a few mph can cost you???!!!!! I have not seen real mountains in around 5 yrs! Well Cabell hill in wheeling WV and Somerset PA which are not really mountains...lol In the 30 some yrs I have been in this business I have seen my share!
Old 03-15-2009, 04:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
On a side note, why is it that so many drivers base their productivity on how many trucks they can pass? This is not only a company driver phenomenon, but also an owner operator one. Entire engine product lines are designed, built, and advertised on the premise that it will allow you to "be the king of the road" or some other garbage like that. I mean, who really cares if someone passes you?
It is human nature to want to be #1, the best, the fastest, the one in the front. Unless there is a nationwide set speed limit on vehicles, this will never cease to be.

I know it is just a psychological thing, but whenever another truck passes me it makes me envious, "Why can't my truck go that fast!" Even though the few mph difference doesn't add up to anything.

As I sit looking all around,
Confusion and uncertainty is all I found.
The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Optimistic and hopeful dreams,
Are all I have so it seems.
The future I do not know,
So all I can do is take it slow.
But I do know it will work out,
So I wait and watch without a doubt
Old 03-15-2009, 05:13 PM
Senior Board Member
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago View Post
You are assuming that the truck will go above 62 mph for the entire trip, which it will not. At best, you are going to see an increase of 1 - 1.5 mph more than likely. Want that extra speed? Buy your own truck and take the governor off it and pay for the extra fuel out of your own pocket. You don't own the equipment; the company does. Their equipment = their rules.

As far as bypassing it, whoever told you it was a matter of crossing some wires was blowing smoke up your butt. It requires the truck to get plugged into the service computer, and the settings in the truck's computer to be changed. This is done at a repair shop for about 1 hour's labor.

If you truly want to see what that extra 3 mph will do for you, I'd suggest you run an entire day without going over 59 mph, and see how much less you drove as opposed to 62 mph. I think you'll find that the difference is negligible. It is purely psychological.

On a side note, why is it that so many drivers base their productivity on how many trucks they can pass? This is not only a company driver phenomenon, but also an owner operator one. Entire engine product lines are designed, built, and advertised on the premise that it will allow you to "be the king of the road" or some other garbage like that. I mean, who really cares if someone passes you?

I see what you mean; I could care less how many trucks I pass, just as long as they stay to the right so I can work...lol Doing what you said, I just ran less miles at 59 mph!!!! Dont forget to tell these young pups, if your going to speed or want that 3 mph to count then keep the left door shut and dont get out of the truck. If you do you just as well do the speed limit!!!
Indy to Somerset PA 6.25 hrs for a total of 410 miles is 65.6 mph average!!! Of coarse my truck runs faster than 65.....lol sometimes slower and sometimes faster. 820 round trip miles and in less than 24 hrs, good days work for anyone!!! You can what if any scenario, but why would you want to be a KILL JOY!!!!! No offense Rev, you seem to do it a lot. I’m not going to get banned again am I….lol. Just my opnion!
I am an old-timer and will continue to do it the way I was taught until they kick me out of the business, which I hope will be soon!!!…..lol
Well I gotta go to work, will wait to hear from ya Rev when I get home tues afternoon!!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 06:25 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssoutlaw View Post
Unless you really needed that half hr to get you to where you had to go!!! Now that half hr X 7 days is 3 1/2 hrs less a week you have to work!!! 3.5 x 65 is 227.5 miles less a week you have to drive. Now lets say .40 cpm x 227.5 is $91.00 a week you could be loosing, hell thats $364.00 a month you could loose. Notice I said "COULD"
Think about it!!! Slowing you down even 3 mph is costing you money, all this is saying you USE the time correctly!!! I bet most here would care less if they lost as much as $364.00 a month!! Notice I said "as much as"...... Think about it when you say its not worth it, and look at the whole picture!!! Ok last one here, hell this would be as much as a whopping $4368.00 to your over all pay for the year, not shabby for just 3 mph?????
I too would not mess with another mans equip. Just think about the 3 mph and work some figures out....lol
The figures are impressive, but there is a fault to this logic, SSOUTLAW.

When the driver is sitting empty at point A, it is NOT like the dispatcher has a choice between 2 loads exactly 31 miles different in length. You don't get to just DRIVE as far as you can go and drop the load on the highway. The distance to the consignee is what it is... and the time spent there to deliver will be about the same, especially if you have a delivery appointment.

Over the period of a month, MAYBE you'll get to squeeze in one more load somewhere, but I wouldn't count on it. It is more likely that you will get a little more SLEEP if you have a 3 mph faster truck, but not necessarily more MONEY.

It doesn't help to be able to drive 31 miles past St. Louis if the load delivers IN St. Louis.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 03-15-2009, 08:08 PM
Senior Board Member

Getting there 30 min faster however might just be the difference between finding a parking spot at the t/s or having to do some inventive parking!

The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Old 03-16-2009, 12:17 AM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat View Post
Getting there 30 min faster however might just be the difference between finding a parking spot at the t/s or having to do some inventive parking!
This as also happened to us a few times. To where if we could have gotten to the receiver 30 minutes before closing, I could have unloaded early and had my dispatch get me another quickly, but if I get there 30 minutes later (or closing time), then I have to wait to the next day to unload. This can be where your miles really start to show up. I pick up a load an hour or two after unloading (by delivering early on the previous load) and get on my way, I could gain a couple hundred to several hundred miles depending how early I was able to deliver and the difference in receiving times the next day for making the delivery from the original load.
Old 03-16-2009, 01:53 AM
Senior Board Member

I rarely have that problem, when I am haulin my usual freight the delivery time is 90% of the time 7am local time mon - fri. Usually get there a day early. Especially if its a weekend load, almost every weekend I get to sit and do nothing .

Not to say anything bad about anyone... but... If you can't make it on time then either you didn't plan well, or you took a load you couldn't do. Only exception I see to that is a delivery with a completely open window but closes at a certain time, and even then usually a little bit of planning can get you there at a time it will be open. Getting there just a few min after they close could be solved simply by not stopping to eat that Petro Buffet for lunch :P

The answers are there,
But I do not know where.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:22 AM
Rookie

I always get my loads on time, mostly an hour or two early. Most of the time, mostly big retailer names, won't let you deliver but an hour early or two. It's when hauling the odd, no-big brand retailer loads that you can deliver early and I mean by several hours to a day early.

I had one load going from Brewster, WA to Hugo, OK and it was to deliver on a Saturday and we were going to get their by Friday afternoon. ETA was around 1500 and they closed at 1700. Called them up and they said I could deliver early, but had to be there by 1630 and no later. Didn't seem to be a problem, or so I thought. Blew a trailer tire in Oklahoma City (there was a radical temp. change from the morning to noon and lots of vehicles were blowing tires left and right on the freeways). That took an hour to change at a shop, had me waitng most of the time. Then I had a fuel stop before getting there and they were out of fuel and there was a line of trucks waiting for the tankers to come. So I got routed to a different fuel stop. All in all, I ended up getting there a little after 1700 and ended up having to wait at a T/S to deliver in the morning on Saturday.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:35 AM
Rookie

Has anyone ever tried the Safety Pass Pro on here? Seems like a pretty interesting concept. Looks like by their testimonies that there used alot in Australia.
Old 03-19-2009, 11:52 PM

62! thats scary slow. are u cool with ur mechanics. they can always use a few bucks. i slipped one 100 bux when i dropped it for a pm. told him to bump me to 73 from 70. it happened. i only asked a mechanic i was cool with and have know for sometime. are trucks all run diff speeds some 70 some 72 some 75. i figured id be diff and go for 73