User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-14-2008, 04:03 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Is the government trying to kill yhe Big 3?

Quote:
There ought to be a law — against the selfishness and hypocrisy our government has demonstrated. The speed with which wheelbarrows of money were dumped at the feet of Wall Street versus the slow noose hung on the auto companies is reprehensible. Some of those same banks we bailed out are now saying they won’t extend credit to auto dealers. Wasn’t that why we gave them the money? To loosen credit?
Hey, you senators: Thanks for nothing | Freep.com | Detroit Free Press

doh: kill the Big 3

Last edited by mike3fan; 12-14-2008 at 04:05 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:19 PM
Senior Board Member

The "Big 3" have been killing themselves for decades.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:11 PM
Senior Board Member

I agree to, the big 3 killed themselves. Throwing cash at them is not going to fix their problems, it will only prolong the inevitable. Their solution to it all is to build more Hybrid cars? Did they not notice Toyota and Honda cut production building most of their Hybrids because they don't sell. They first need to figure out how to engineer a quality vehicle to compete with the foreign makers.

Old 12-14-2008, 06:37 PM
Senior Board Member

That and get rid of the person that mows the grass for 26 bucks an hour wheter he is needed or not paying workers for 2 years at 95% of their wages to SIT ON THEIR BUTTS. Called file for chapter 11 like any other comapy would be forced to do and bust the union like the Airlines did I forget they can't because if they do then the UAW would be PO at the DemoCRAPS and not vote for them anymore.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:56 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben45750 View Post
I agree to, the big 3 killed themselves. Throwing cash at them is not going to fix their problems, it will only prolong the inevitable. Their solution to it all is to build more Hybrid cars? Did they not notice Toyota and Honda cut production building most of their Hybrids because they don't sell. They first need to figure out how to engineer a quality vehicle to compete with the foreign makers.
nope, they never learned, and never will. they're probably still under the belief that their customers want performance over reliability, stability, and fuel economy. let the american auto companies go under. there's nothing american about those vehicles anyway. all of their factories are in mexico. they don't give a rat's ass about jobs here in america.
Old 12-15-2008, 01:40 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix View Post
nope, they never learned, and never will. they're probably still under the belief that their customers want performance over reliability, stability, and fuel economy. let the american auto companies go under. there's nothing american about those vehicles anyway. all of their factories are in mexico. they don't give a rat's ass about jobs here in america.
You ever been to Michigan? The auto industry creates many more jobs than just those at the factory plants.

I think it is awfully shortsighted to just say let them close shop,if that happens we will no doubt be pushed into a Depression. There are thousands of truck driving jobs in the state of Michigan that are directly involved in the auto industry.

How come no uproar over the crooks that run the banking and financial sectors when the money was almost handed over without any oversight?

I realize that most of us have been effected by stupid ass union workers at places that we have delivered,and I used to run exclusively to GM plants for about 10 years so there is no love lost for some of them a$$holes,but to just turn 100's of thousand above average income workers into the unemployment line seems a little much.

Can those companies be run better? of course but so can the airline industry and they recieved a bailout,and are in line to get some more along with the railroads and they don't create nearly as many jobs as the auto industry.

Old 12-15-2008, 02:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix View Post

You should be able to have reliability ,and decent fuel economy with good performance ...I've always owned 2 cars one for economy and one I like 2 drive...As far as what Americans want I do beleive many still want some performance as well . I'm buying an SRT-8 I would'nt touch a rice box 4 popper mobile claimed to be a muscle car .
Old 12-15-2008, 02:25 AM
Senior Board Member

If you think it would be a good idea to let the American auto makers go out of buisness you might want to look at this map.

U.S. auto industry broken down by state - CNN.com

Old 12-15-2008, 05:11 AM
Senior Board Member

Everyone seems to forget that businesses exist to make a profit, not provide jobs. Once the business fails to make a profit, the business fails. I hate to see anyone lose their job, but the "big 3" cannot compete with the foreigners.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:52 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan View Post
Everyone seems to forget that businesses exist to make a profit, not provide jobs. Once the business fails to make a profit, the business fails. I hate to see anyone lose their job, but the "big 3" cannot compete with the foreigners.

It costs about $70hr per UAW employee about $30hr...+ (wages/health care/ect) at GM and only about $50 at TOYOTA where the hourly pay is $30hr ,but the benefits package is considerably less ...And the foreign manufacturers have far less retired employees collecting a pension ...

I hate to talk cutting a persons wage ,but much autoline assembly work is easy pretty much non skilled factory work ,and the hourly wage of $30hr plus the very healthy benefits package has the American manfatures paying about 30% more per employee compared to Toyota...Now I think $30.hr is plenty fair for assembly line work , which is what both GM and TOYOTA pay ,but the American Auto workers have a 30% higher cost in the form of benefits ...Now I'm sure the benefits at TOYOTA are average ,but they still pay $30hr which is plenty fair for the work...Maybe toss out the union ,and tighten up the belt a bit on employee costs just a little ...maybe by 30% ?