User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2008, 05:03 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Sirius antenna question.

I noticed an antenna at the flyin hook the other day, so I searched it. It's the antenna that mounts on the mirror bracket. Here is a picture so yall know which one I am talking about.

I noticed this antenna is $60.ish, so I am not sure if it's worth buying. I have the regular antenna that came with my radio. I have it on the dash, and sometimes, it loses the signal, but of course, I only run a 400 mile round trip every night. I have pretty good reception for no further than I drive. If I could, I would mount mine somewhere on the mirror bracket, but our trucks have those big ugly plastic mounted mirrors, and nothing magnetic.
Remember, I slip seat with our daytime drivers, and I take my cb radio, and stuff in-and-out every night.
Do yall use this antenna? I'm sure I wouldn't lose a signal, but I don't know if I want to give $60.some-odd for it. What would yall do?

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 12-10-2008, 05:56 PM

That antenna dosent work any better than the one you have on your dash. If you keep losing your signal you can get the am/fm direct connect adapter, i very rarely lose signal or have any interference at all. You can pick it up for around 20 or 30 dollars or you can call Sirius and have them send you one for free is how i got mine.
Old 12-10-2008, 08:17 PM
Senior Board Member

I, too, couldn't bring myself to fork over $60 for an antenna. I have the standard issue two-sided-taped to the top of my passenger side mirror. On my previous truck I had it folded-duct-taped in the same place. Both have held up well and weather has never been an issue. I'll lose the signal under 1 out of 3 or 4 bridges and last night I lost it to some cliffs on 81 in VA. Other than that, reception has been reliably loud and clear.

I have my receiver hard wired to the radio, too. It's a big improvement. My thinking is that it eliminates a lot of potential interference and distortion from weak or distant stations. It may just be coincidence, the hard wire or it might be a lucky number . . I've had my receiver set to 89.1 for at least a of couple months, all over the eastern half of the country and I get zero signal bleed from other stations.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:33 PM
Board Icon

I only lose signal with my small little patch like antenna that came with the radio when I go under a bridge too slowly. If I pass under at 65, signal stays true, 35-ish and it blanks for a second. I had problems early on with it losing signal, moved it closer to the center of the roof and everything has been fine since. It was located over on the right side of the cab roof.
Old 12-11-2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bug View Post
That antenna dosent work any better than the one you have on your dash. If you keep losing your signal you can get the am/fm direct connect adapter, i very rarely lose signal or have any interference at all. You can pick it up for around 20 or 30 dollars or you can call Sirius and have them send you one for free is how i got mine.
Direct connect is the way to go. I have the regular annt. that came with my radio ziptied to my mirror (drivers side). I rarely have to change the radio freq. because of interference. as far as the ant. in certain spots where you have high trees on both sides of the highway ( I 81 in spots and north and south car) you will get loss of signal but other than that no problems. But it wont matter to me unless they resign Bubba.
if they dont im getting rid of it. I only got Sirius for Howard and then heard Bubba and really thats aboput all i listen to. i have 2500CDs so com free music is not a problem. BJS

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Old 12-11-2008, 03:20 PM
Board Icon

I don't ever have any interference. Sometimes, it loses it's signal. I reach up there, and move the antenna just a tad, and I get my signal back.
That antenna that I posted seems like a good investment. Only if it weren't so expensive.

I think I'll just keep using what I got. If I were running coast to coast, etc, it would probably be different. :lol:

Old 12-11-2008, 03:50 PM
Senior Board Member

Does anyone ever notice that Sirius comes in better when you are facing west? I almost always have signal problems when driving EB and none coming back WB.
Old 12-11-2008, 04:38 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan View Post
Does anyone ever notice that Sirius comes in better when you are facing west? I almost always have signal problems when driving EB and none coming back WB.
That's all I run. I run west to Lubbock, and east coming back home.
Ya know, now that you mentioned it... Seems like it does work better in the afternoons, than late at night, when I'm headin back. hmmm.

Old 12-11-2008, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colts Fan View Post
The Sirius Satelites are centered in the South West sky. I guess thats why the problems sometimes in the east

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.
Old 12-11-2008, 07:47 PM
Senior Board Member

There are certain areas where I know my XM will drop out:

West side of Columbus, on I-270, right around the junction with I-70 - this lasts about 3 miles. Doesn't matter if I'm going north or south.

I-78 going through Allentown, PA - about 2-3 miles worth of no signal. This happens close to the large hospital.

Newark, NJ - doesn't matter where, I just have no signal there.