User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2008, 11:06 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Driver Respect

Does anyone have it anymore. I thought to myself...No. Now I know, It is all gone. My dad has drove a truck for 23 years. He has drove local for the last 6 years. He recently went back OTR. I myself have drove for 10 years. It has went to $hit since then. What....Do we really not care about each other anymore. He said he was sitting at a dock getting loaded and a truck was pulling in beside him. He said it was tight, so he got out and was helping the guy back up. The guy got out of the truck and told him....Listen old man, I don't need your damn help. I have been driving for 15 years. Now get out of my way. Unlike myself, He said sorry to bother you and got back in his truck. I guess it is all in your raising. If I see anyone having trouble, I give them a hand. From backing in to sliding tandems. There is still a few of us left. And to the ones that don't have it. Maybe one day you will need some help. And won't get it.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:28 PM
Board Icon

Yeah, that's a sad story, man. Your dad didn't deserve that!

But, here's another side of it. No big deal, but a few months ago, I was backing into a slot and tight around the fender. NO way I was even CLOSE to hitting the blindside truck. But, as I came around, I saw a Prime driver (it was his truck) standing outside his door "whirling" his keys on a chain around his fingers.... just watching me.... guarding his truck!

IF I'd been too far over, the idiot could have been crushed! And he SURE wasn't up where I could see him OFFERING any help if I needed it! :roll2:

I just laughed, but part of me wanted to tell him that I've been doing this long enough that he didn't have to worry about me hitting his truck! :moon:

I've gotten out to help other drivers many times. And those who didn't need it just ignored me (and I didn't make a big deal of helping.) I was just there IF they needed me.... gave them a thumbs up when I realized they didn't.

I've never had any of them DISS me for trying to help. But, I guess it wouldn't surprise me these days.

I wasn't there for the good ole days, and I'm sure you'll have to hold your nose to take alot of what it is now. But, don't give up ALL hope, driver. There are still some good ones out there. And not all of us newbies are so self-absorbed.

People are like that more and more these days in EVERY walk of life. It's not just trucking.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 10-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Senior Board Member

You know what's funny, I can have like ten nice things done for me and then one idiot does something and it's all I can talk about.

Not the lady who waved me in so I could get out into traffic.
Not the driver who moved over when I was getting on the highway.
Not the cashier at the liquor store who sweetly carded me like I was 16 or something.

No the azzwipe who doesn't know how to merge in traffice doing 40mph when traffic is wiping past us at 60 and a 18wheelers is about to kiss my bumper if azzphuck doesn't step on it.

What I'm saying is try not to dwell on the Shit Holes, they are everywhere and they stink up the place but there are plenty of nice and helpful people all around.
We all just need to focus on them more then the others.

My2sents.
Old 10-27-2008, 12:46 AM
Rookie

I agree with the both of you. I guess I just upsets me most that it was my dad. He is starting to realize it has changed alot.
Old 10-27-2008, 09:53 AM
Senior Board Member

Usually, I just quickly go over and say, "You got this?" and wait for a response.

It's either "I'm cool", or "Yes, like, now."
Old 10-27-2008, 02:33 PM
Senior Board Member

good for you.

Last edited by Trukrswyfe; 10-27-2008 at 03:38 PM.