User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-17-2008, 04:29 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Auto pilot

I have been doing a dedicated for a couple of months now and I have noticed that this is a real problem. I use to hear that you can go into auto pilot mode and become complacent doing the same route over and over, but I didn't believe it before when I was OTR. But now I have to be creative to constantly be ready for changes. Also I think that it takes more energy to see the same thing over and over than when everything is kinda new. I don't know. Just wanted to get input on how others handle this.
Old 10-17-2008, 12:37 PM
Silly Goose
Senior Board Member

hey, nice to hear from you again. how have you been?

"Remember, if you don't do it this year, you'll be one year older when you do." - Warren Miller
Old 10-17-2008, 01:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Where is your dedicated run?

Husband did a dedicated too from Seatac,WA to Denver,CO till the changed the route to include Dallas,TX....

Is your run regional, local, or cross country? He was a trainer so every few weeks the new guy spiced it up for him otherwise Yeah it would have been so routine that mind numbness takes affect.

Depending on where your run it, the upcoming weather is sure to mix your route up or at least keep you guessing....
Old 10-17-2008, 11:52 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Dedicated, huh? Have you ever had the experience...

At home, you know where everything is, so you don't bother to turn the lights to walk to the kitchen to raid the frig? Then, someone leaves a box of something, or something else on the floor, right along your route? And, if you had had your eyes open, instead of closed, you would have seen it in the night-light, your toes would feel much better and you would not be hopping around on one foot?

Yes. Running dedicated along the same routes can be a lot like that. And, if you fail to recognize something you see, it can really spell disastor. Yes, It does happen. There are guys that thrive on them, and others that won't last long when things get too boring.
Old 10-18-2008, 02:24 AM
Senior Board Member

I run the same route to and from every night 300mi one way, I listen to XM radio a lot and have most of the worlds problems solved LOL. I listen to the news and then yell at the radio! I also listen to alot of books on tape and cd, and I plan out alot of things that I want to do at home, in the garage, at the camp ect. It can get boring (and sleepy at 2-3 am) I also look for deer and other critters on roadside.
I have also found that when I start getting that 1000 yard stare, I need something to eat I don't always feel hungry but my body is telling me that it's running out of fuel.
It's not much but hope it helps
Old 10-18-2008, 08:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Thanks for the input. Mine is about 300 miles back and fourth too! I tend to drive nights as well because, well I like it at night. I also yell at my sirius radio and listen to a lot of podcasts. I also eat regularly as I have a fridge and microwave and it is usually stocked with my wifes cooking. But sometimes I wonder if this is my thing. When it gets boring it gets real boring. My run is from Ok near weatherford through some state routes to I35 then up near Wichita.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:01 AM
Senior Board Member

For the sections that become too familiar I try changing lanes just to break up the monotony. Of course here in the Northeast there is usually some traffic no matter what time of day or night it is, so there is always something to keep the brain focused on the road ahead.

Now the rural stretches with nothing for miles does get a bit challenging. I am currently addicted to caffinated "energy" mints in that situation.

If you are on a dedicated route there are probably other people running the same time that you can watch for and chat with. Nothing will keep your mind on the road like watching for a buddy you are supposed to be crossing paths with.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 10-20-2008, 03:19 AM
Board Regular

I run Vegas to Northern Arizona, Monday thru Friday and have the same problems. I listen to the Old Time Radio (164) and Open Road (171) on XM and as Repete said, plan weekend projects. I'm usually planning for Christmas and next Halloween. I also have audio books and movies converted to mp3's on my laptop (I use external speakers) to help pass the time.

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 10-20-2008, 05:41 PM
Board Icon

Those of you that live out in the western states, and for that matter, New England would work too. I once met a woman that had a dedicated run between LA and Denver. She kept a camera at the ready at all times. She said she ran for 5 to 6 weeks, then took two weeks off. While she was running, she'd be taking pictures of anything that caught her eye. Upwards of a thousand pictures a week. Then, during the two weeks off, she would be going through all the pictures and picking out the best ones. Something like every two months, she would submit about a hundred pictures to a calender company. I don't know which one, but she said she made nearly $20,000 more a year with the pictures then she did by driving. Taxable income was over $95,000 a year. She said it wasn't bad for just putting the camera against the glass and clicking the shutter. Even the exact scene looks different at a different time of day, or different season.

That was before the age of "DIGITAL", and I would simply like to have the money she spent of 35MM film every year.