User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2008, 10:03 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default How to see Mt. Rushmore in a truck?

I am going to deliver just North of Rapid City SD Wednesday and will be in town early tomorrow. I would love to be able to see Mount Rushmore while in the area. Does anyone know the best way. If I can drop a trailer and bobtail up there? If so, where to drop trailer, if not, is there a tour bus I can take up the mountain?

THANKS all in advance, I know my friends at CAD will come thru for me!
Old 09-22-2008, 10:08 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I could be wrong, but I believe the signs say "NO COMMERCIAL VEHICLES". That would mean that you can not take the tractor in with or without the trailer. A tour bus, on the other hand, is something I never looked into. Never even thought about it.

Old 09-22-2008, 11:53 PM
Senior Board Member

here are the websites for

rushmore tours

and

grayline tours

both are comparable in cost and time @ $65-$70 and 9 hours. :shock:

the national parks site for mt. rushmore says there's no public transportation and parking for a bus is $50. i tried calling the parking department to ask about a bobtail and no one answered. :?

sorry but that's the best i can do for you right now, i need to get to sleep for an early day tomorrow. good luck and hth.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:24 AM
Senior Board Member

baldeagle .... if you have a credit card ... rent a car for the day :wink: some car rental places will pick you up and take you to the office to do the paper work ... ask and ye shall find out .. then they take you back to your truck

Watch your 'Thoughts,' they become words. Watch your 'Words,' they become
actions. Watch your 'Actions,' they become habits. Watch your 'Habits,' they
become character. Watch your 'Character,' for it becomes your Destiny.'
Old 09-23-2008, 03:13 PM
Board Regular

Thanks everyone. Unfortunately dispatch called this am (about 30 minutes before I was going to step on a tour bus) and informed me that the customer changed their minds and could unload me today. Unfortunate for the sight seeing, fortunate for the paycheck.

I will keep these sites bookmarked though, I come through here a lot and definitely plan on getting to Rushmore soon!
Old 09-26-2008, 01:11 PM

I recommend checking out Crazy Horse mountain while you're in the area.
Old 09-26-2008, 08:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Ugh- that's frustrating. We were up in SD a few years back (we don't get up that way much) and wanted to go and wound up deciding against it. That was a mistake. There are all these places we talk about going and we never take the time to do it.

I hope you get up there again soon and I think you should spend the money and the time to do it. Otherwise, who knows when you'll get the chance.

Every time I drive past that stupid meteor crater in AZ I want to stop and I never do. One of these days I'll be off the road and I'll be kicking myself in the pants for not going. I know it's nothing terribly exciting but, dang it, I want to see the stupid thing.

Grrr.
Old 10-04-2008, 07:29 PM
Board Icon
Default Seeing Mt. Rushmore

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebaldeagle655 View Post
I am going to deliver just North of Rapid City SD Wednesday and will be in town early tomorrow. I would love to be able to see Mount Rushmore while in the area. Does anyone know the best way. If I can drop a trailer and bobtail up there? If so, where to drop trailer, if not, is there a tour bus I can take up the mountain?

THANKS all in advance, I know my friends at CAD will come thru for me!
Sorry you got called away BaldEagle, but I'm glad you didn't pay for a tour bus to see it. Here's the scoop. (Yes, I've done it.)

Park your rig and drop the trailer at the Flying J on the east side of town. I think it is exit #61. It's a good Idea to tell them, but they don't mind at all.

Take Bypass 16 (which I think is next exit west, #60) and head south. I think it's technically WEST, but you are heading south!) Then get on Hwy 16, and then Alternate 16. It will take you through Keystone and right to the monument.

Yes, there is a sign that says no CMV's, but I stopped and asked the cops, and it is allowed for a bobtail.

When you get to the park, I think the parking is like $8. They have a special lower and "uncovered" section of the parking deck for RV's and Bobtails.

You will not be alone. Truckers go there all the time. Total cost..... that of parking!

And yes, Crazy Horse is not far from there and should be seen, too. I ran out of time and didn't make it there.

Make sure you go into the theater area and watch the presentation on the construction of the monument. Very interesting!

Then, take the path and you get to go right under their noses.

Note: Pictures are best from the grandstands. Also, IIRC, the monument "faces" East, so get there early for good lighting for pictures. In the evening, you would be shooting into the sun. However, If you can't do morning, they light up the monument at night and all you need is some fast film. (oops, showing my age. I don't do "digital.")

Total time, if you're rushed for it, shouldn't be more than 3 hours. I wasn't rushed, and it still only took about 4 hours taking my time.

Hope you get another chance!

Hobo

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.

Last edited by golfhobo; 10-04-2008 at 07:32 PM. Reason: to keep from being corrected! lol!