User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2008, 01:08 AM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Millions Of Nickels Spill On I-95 In Fatal Semi Crash

Quote:
BREVARD COUNTY, Fla. -- Millions of nickels shut down part of I-95 in Brevard County most of Wednesday morning when two big rigs crashed. One of them was carrying fresh nickels from the U.S. Mint in Philadelphia headed for the Federal Reserve in Miami.
http://www.wftv.com/news/17492850/detail.html

The driver hauling the nickels was heading south in the same lane as a container hauler, and the nickel hauler rear ended the container hauler and tipped over in the median. The guard that was riding with him died on the scene.

3.5 million nickels, and the US Treasury is picking up every single one of them. Sounds like fun.
Old 09-18-2008, 02:22 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I read about that. They'll be COMBING the area for along time to find all of them. The article I read simply said his passenger was killed. It didn't say he was a guard. If it weren't for the fatality, it could be considered very funny. You should see how they guard old paper money that's being taken somewhere to be burned. For that matter, the post office the same thing.

When my Dad worked maintenance at the hospital, the post office came in to burn a bunch of old 2 cent stamps. They cleared EVERYONE out of the room with the incinerator, then started burning. Dad gave them a few minutes to get a good start, then walked past the door and in a louder than normal voice (like he was talking to someone back in the office yet) said there were all sorts of stamps coming out the chimney and were only slighted singed around the edges. He said they nearly knocked him to the floor trying to get past him to see what was coming out the chimney.

One of the things he had to do when they were done was clean out the incinerator. In one corner, he found two full rolls of 75 cent stamps that didn't even look like they got warm.

Old 09-18-2008, 02:52 AM
Senior Board Member
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
The impact of the crash killed the guard, identified as 61-year-old William Sherman, who was sleeping in the sleeper part of the truck. The driver, 54-year-old William Rohrman, was rushed to Holmes Regional Medical Center. He's expected to be okay.

State troopers and deputies made sure no one got close to the money until the Secret Service arrived. They secured the guns the guards were carrying.
What a rip,I hauled a load of those nickels out of Philly before going to Pittsburgh,I didn't get any guard with guns.I also didn't know the load was worth that much......probably a good thing,makes me wonder what kinda tracking device they had hidden in there or what kind of surveillance they were doing on me 8)