User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2008, 02:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default The First Hour,,,

I recently read that a study determined that the first hour of a driver's "day" is the most dangerous. According to the study it is within that first hour, after taking the required break, that the most accidents, incidents, etc. occur. The survey was conducted by the FMCSA and the results do not factor in the actual amount of "quality" rest the driver had prior to start his/her day.
With this in mind I thought to counteract the risk I would just sit for that first hour. What do you think?
Old 09-16-2008, 10:54 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

No. The problem is during that first hour, you're blood begins pumping, and your body's systems start to work. Sort of like "shaking the cobwebs out of the brain". What it takes to do that is movement, not sitting. Instead of driving, you could go into the truck stop and have a decent breakfast. By the time you're done, you'll be ready to go back to sleep till you're actually "READY" to wake up.
Or, you could...
Jog around the parking lot about twenty laps. But, the results with this vary greatly. In the summer, down in the southern states, you need to carry an umbrella to keep the sun off of you and prevent heat-stroke. But, in the northern states, it doesn't work too bad. The colder it is, the faster you move and the sooner the cobwebs are gone.

Now, I could sell you an aresol can of this spray called 'WEBBEEGON" that keeps the webs from forming over night if you spray your brain the night before. The spritz is so metered down that a 4 oz. can can be used every night for 3 months. It's only $2,500 a can, but think of the peace of mind, knowing that you are a much safer driver because all those little neurons are able to pass between all parts of your brain without getting tangled up in those NASTY cobwebs. That helps you to stay alert when another driver failed to use his can the night before and the situation calls for quick thinking so that the hazmat ping-pong balls don't blow. They're dangerous when you disturb them, you know.

The results of that study are true, though. The reason can range from things like wiping sleep out of your eyes, or starting out without having everything situated for yourself before you put it in gear. The twinkie falls off your lap, you try to catch it before it hits the floor and spill the coffee, then forget where you are, the wheel turns and you're in trouble. Anything that takes your attention off the road can get you in trouble, and hot coffee in your lap will do it. Don't believe me, ask the lady that sued McDonald/s. Or... You could try proving it yourself. Get going down the road, hold the cup of HOT coffee about a foot above your lap, then suddenly, turn it over. You'll get the meaning very soon.

Old 09-16-2008, 11:32 PM
Senior Board Member

or you could do what all the livestock haulers do to start their day. you could snort a line of meth. it'll keep you wide awake for the entire day.
Old 09-17-2008, 12:10 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix
or you could do what all the livestock haulers do to start their day. you could snort a line of meth. it'll keep you wide awake for the entire day.
I would have absolutely no way of knowing about that. I've never tried anything even remotely related to that.

Old 09-17-2008, 02:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
No. The problem is during that first hour, you're blood begins pumping, and your body's systems start to work. Sort of like "shaking the cobwebs out of the brain". What it takes to do that is movement, not sitting. Instead of driving, you could go into the truck stop and have a decent breakfast. By the time you're done, you'll be ready to go back to sleep till you're actually "READY" to wake up.
Or, you could...
Jog around the parking lot about twenty laps. But, the results with this vary greatly. In the summer, down in the southern states, you need to carry an umbrella to keep the sun off of you and prevent heat-stroke. But, in the northern states, it doesn't work too bad. The colder it is, the faster you move and the sooner the cobwebs are gone.

Now, I could sell you an aresol can of this spray called 'WEBBEEGON" that keeps the webs from forming over night if you spray your brain the night before. The spritz is so metered down that a 4 oz. can can be used every night for 3 months. It's only $2,500 a can, but think of the peace of mind, knowing that you are a much safer driver because all those little neurons are able to pass between all parts of your brain without getting tangled up in those NASTY cobwebs. That helps you to stay alert when another driver failed to use his can the night before and the situation calls for quick thinking so that the hazmat ping-pong balls don't blow. They're dangerous when you disturb them, you know.

The results of that study are true, though. The reason can range from things like wiping sleep out of your eyes, or starting out without having everything situated for yourself before you put it in gear. The twinkie falls off your lap, you try to catch it before it hits the floor and spill the coffee, then forget where you are, the wheel turns and you're in trouble. Anything that takes your attention off the road can get you in trouble, and hot coffee in your lap will do it. Don't believe me, ask the lady that sued McDonald/s. Or... You could try proving it yourself. Get going down the road, hold the cup of HOT coffee about a foot above your lap, then suddenly, turn it over. You'll get the meaning very soon.

Actually what I should have stated was "the first hour of DRIVING is the most dangerous".

So by my illogical twisted thinking I could not drive that first hour and therefore save myself from the danger. :?

Yes the results of the study are true.

The part about me sitting was meant to be a pun. :roll:
Geeeez,,,, I even screw up my own jokes. :cry:

Sleepy
Old 09-17-2008, 06:17 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Jackson
Actually what I should have stated was "the first hour of DRIVING is the most dangerous".

So by my illogical twisted thinking I could not drive that first hour and therefore save myself from the danger. :?

Sleepy
I noticed that. You failed to find any humor in my satire. You must be worse off than I thought. Down to just one neuron that's still able to move about, are we? They do have "WEBBEEGON" in EMERGENCY STRENGTH, but it's double the price. However, since you need to spend a week of that first hour sleeping, I'll let you have it for a real bargain. Only $3500, and we pay the shipping. And, might I recommend that you get a truly cooperative friend to spend that time with, so that you don't die of boredom? Fantasy.com has a playmate for you to keep you there. Not inflatable, life-sized, and doesn't even close her mouth to say: "Your welcome". She's only fourteen thousand and some dollars, and I don't get any kind of cut out of that one. But, she's garranteed to help you deteriorate even more. And, if you use her enough, you truly will be safe because you won't have the strength to release the brake. Kill that last surviving neuron, and win a "QUEPIE DOLL".

Oh, yess... I almost forgot... We're running a special on "HUMOR PILLS" this week...

Old 09-17-2008, 08:00 AM
Senior Board Member

windwalker, can you send me a can (cod) I'll pay ya for it when I wake up! :lol:
Old 09-17-2008, 11:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windwalker
Quote:
Originally Posted by Creek Jackson

Sleepy

I noticed that. You failed to find any humor in my satire. You must be worse off than I thought. Down to just one neuron that's still able to move about, are we? They do have "WEBBEEGON" in EMERGENCY STRENGTH, but it's double the price. However, since you need to spend a week of that first hour sleeping, I'll let you have it for a real bargain. Only $3500, and we pay the shipping. And, might I recommend that you get a truly cooperative friend to spend that time with, so that you don't die of boredom? Fantasy.com has a playmate for you to keep you there. Not inflatable, life-sized, and doesn't even close her mouth to say: "Your welcome". She's only fourteen thousand and some dollars, and I don't get any kind of cut out of that one. But, she's garranteed to help you deteriorate even more. And, if you use her enough, you truly will be safe because you won't have the strength to release the brake. Kill that last surviving neuron, and win a "QUEPIE DOLL".

Oh, yess... I almost forgot... We're running a special on "HUMOR PILLS" this week...
Contrare! I found the humor in your satire. But I failed miserably at locating any in my outlandishly clever post.

As far as the humor pills go,,,,,, I'll pass,,,,,,,, But you may distribute them among the other forum participants along with a liberal dose of WEBBEEGONE,,,,,,,, so that they may be as fortunate as we are to be able to WAKE UP and smell the levity that our awesomely funny posts provide.

At least for a few seconds anyway. :lol: :cry: :lol: :cry: :lol: :cry: :x

Slapstick Sam
Old 09-17-2008, 05:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Obviously, the key to solving this problem is through prevention; the best thing to do is to just skip the first hour of driving, and start out on the second hour!!
Old 09-17-2008, 06:23 PM
Senior Board Member

Can you legally log this skipped first hour? Maybe they should pass some more legislation- that should do the trick.