User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2008, 01:13 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Its around the corner, need pointers! ( WINTER)

I'm still new to this OTR deal but this will be my first winter and I could really use some good pointers and things to go with with winter driving.
Old 09-11-2008, 01:53 AM
Senior Board Member

If you don't know how to chain up, then learn.
If you hit snow and ice, take it easy. A late load is always better than one that's destroyed.
If your wipers ice up, don't be too much of a lazy ass to stop the truck and clean them off.
Don't try being like Rick Yemm on that Ice Road Truckers show. That's a sure fire ticket to failure.
Lot lizards still work in the Winter. Don't be fooled simply because they wear a jacket and sweats.
Don't eat yellow snow.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:21 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Main thing is to go slow, and don't grip the steering wheel too tight, relax. You will "feel" slipping more with a light grip. You will have to just get out there and do it, to begin building some confidence. That actually is a plus for you. Beginners tend to go real easy, and seem more likely to remain in control. Drivers like me, who have been doing ice and snow for years, tend to go too fast, and our over-confidence can get us into trouble. Don't try to follow a more experienced driver! Drive at the pace you feel comfortable with.

Chains are for the steeper grades. You won't see the need for chains, unless you get into the mountains, west of the Mississippi. Outside of that, if you need chains, what you maybe need most is to park and wait for the Salt Trucks and Plows to fix up the road. Most of the time, they keep the roads in good shape.
Find out what your companies policy is on chaining. With chains, you are not going to go over 30-35mph max. It's good to learn how to chain, but try to avoid conditions that are going to put you in that position, if possible.

Keep your lights cleaned off, and knock that ice off, before you go across scales. You can quickly build up 500-1000lbs. of ice, which may put you over-weight. Keep fuel conditioner, plenty of washer fluid, spare winter clothing, stock food and water, and don't let your fuel tanks drop too low. You never know when you might be stranded for a day or two.

Allow more time to stop, and don't spin the wheels when accelerating. If you get into "white outs", use your hazard lights. Civilian traffic is going to depend more on you to navigate, as you are the biggest and most visible object. If you must pass someone, remember, you are kicking up a huge snow squall, and people will be momentarily blinded. So do not stay on the side of anyone. Make your pass, or don't pass.

If you ever feel conditions are too dangerous, park in the nearest safe place off the road...like a rest stop, or even an off ramp. It's better to call dispatch and tell them conditions are unsafe at the present, than to be calling them about a damaged load in the ditch.
Old 09-11-2008, 02:01 PM
Senior Board Member

My son made the most excellent video of my husband throwing iron on Snowqualmie Pass just this last Christmas. If I can upload to my photobucket it's yours.

*as a newbie my husband always says never be afraid to say the conditions are above your skill level. Better to pull over then wreck or God forbid kill someone.

*He trained all his students with every picture of wrecked trucks and carnage.... Usually the first day. There were a lot of examples unfortunately.

Would go something like..... See here this trucker did it wrong. So do it my way or else.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

It worked he never ever had an accident himself or a student.
Old 09-11-2008, 03:37 PM
Board Regular

Sounds good, alot of info and anything I learn off this website I always take it with me on the road and it helps alot, I have been out there OTR for 5 months and its great and no wrecks,cargo claims nothing just smooth sailing, so keep it coming, I'm like a sponge and I can take what ever is advised to me. Thanks.
Old 09-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Senior Board Member

Outside of all the stock advise you will get about driving within your abilities, keep this in mind....
....not only are you out here driving YOUR truck, but, you are also "driving" everybody elses vehicles. By this I mean.....:
Constantly be aware of your surroundings. Be aware of what the other vehicles are doing. Most of the 4wheels and some of 18s will be driving beyond the limit of themselves and the vehicle they are driving. When they are near you or passing you, do not allow the pass to be prolonged, slow down and assist in the pass if necessary. If the other vehicle is driving beyond there abilities you do not want them spinning out while alongside you or close in front of you. There will be nothing you can do to change there driving habits. So just try and stay out of there way.
Allow for a lot more following distance as well. Nothing says Holy Chit, like when you hit the brakes and realize that you probably wont get stopped in time to prevent a rearend or if you hit the brakes to hard and the trailer brakes traction and starts to Jack around you. You need plenty of room around your sides/front and rear...although you dont have as much control on your azz end...,But you do have control of the front and sides.
Old 09-11-2008, 05:26 PM
Senior Board Member

Ice is the worst, last winter Ihad already decided to shut it down at the next safe place as I topped a hill and saw a couple of cars off the road on the way down, OH CHIT! black ice. I got slowed down to 15mph and then started slideing and trl started comeing around. At the bottom was a state trooper and a couple of people standing by a tangle of cars. I was pumping the brakes and every time the wheels locked it seemed like I gained speed :shock: . About the time I decided there was no way around this I hit the air horn and people where scattering :lol: (it's funny now)I did manage to stop with trl at almost 90 angle to the road and my front bumper a couple of feet from a mini van. All this happened in 5th gear and still took a couple hundred yards to stop!!
Remember!! you never can go to slow, and NEVER be the fastest truck on the road
Old 09-11-2008, 05:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Some Quick Tips
Old 09-11-2008, 06:36 PM
Senior Board Member

vail pass has the winter crap happening whenever there's a thunderstorm in the lower elevations. i hit this last month:

the loveland pass area had ice on the roadway. it made for a fun time going down the hill. saw a couple of trucks that had gone into the guard rail on the right side of the road, cars spun out, swifty kept moving, and got to the destination without a problem.
Old 09-11-2008, 07:10 PM
K-Mart Secret Shopper
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix
the loveland pass area had ice on the roadway. it made for a fun time going down the hill. saw a couple of trucks that had gone into the guard rail on the right side of the road, cars spun out, swifty kept moving, and got to the destination without a problem.
Coz Swifty rocks...

Humphry Davy