Old 08-30-2008, 12:39 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
So, in your own words and thinking, we shouldn't lock up ANYONE for LIFE when they kill someone else, let alone as many as he did. Hell, get Ted Bundy out of prison - it was an accident that he killed people.

What about the families of those he killed? Sorry, if I was a father to one of the students killed and I just found out that the MURDERER was release after that short of time - well, I'd be doing some target practice on his ass.

Hate to disappoint you....but Teddy was turned into worm bait by Florida many many moons ago!

I'd be shocked to hear that they buried him in a box!!!
Ok - so bad example there, but you knew what I was getting at. I just couldn't think of any other serial killers off the top of my head.

As far as the punishments listed, ya - I'm pretty sure I would NEVER do anything against the law in those countries.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7
Its called punishment and part of the idea is to deter others from committing the same crime. 1 year for a serious violation resulting in 5 deaths is a slap on the hand. What if he had been drunk instead? Would you still think a year is enough?
Why would he? It would still be an accident in his eyes...
Old 08-30-2008, 12:51 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
Hell, get Ted Bundy out of prison - it was an accident that he killed people.

What about the families of those he killed? Sorry, if I was a father to one of the students killed and I just found out that the MURDERER was release after that short of time - well, I'd be doing some target practice on his ass.
Murder and Death in an Accident is 2 different things. Serial killers not an accident, it intentional. did the Driver go out with the intent to kill? No, he did a stupid thing and drove more than the law allowed and fell asleep. What get me is the double standards. If he was driving a car and fell asleep at the wheel oh it was just an accident but since he was driving a Truck it was MURDER there for adding to the term Killer Truckers that Atlanta love to use....

Plus Ted Bundy is Dead.... Put to death.
Old 08-30-2008, 12:59 PM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastie
Murder and Death in an Accident is 2 different things. Serial killers not an accident, it intentional. did the Driver go out with the intent to kill?
He intentionally drove beyond what he is legally allowed to drive. At that point, it is no longer an "accident". It is INTENTIONAL.

Quote:
What get me is the double standards. If he was driving a car and fell asleep at the wheel oh it was just an accident but since he was driving a Truck it was MURDER there for adding to the term Killer Truckers that Atlanta love to use....
So you are saying that truck drivers shouldn't be held to a higher standard than the rest of the public? And here I thought you had to get training, and a special license to drive a CMV, indicating very clearly that there is some higher standards involved...... :roll:

(BTW, it is arguments like yours which help employers and shippers to keep rates and wages down. After all, there's no higher standard, is there?)
Old 08-30-2008, 01:07 PM
Senior Board Member

http://www.wboy.com/story.cfm?func=v...&storyid=36317

This is a story about a drunk driver in a car that killed 5 people. He received 41 years for it.

Why so long? After all, it was only an ACCIDENT...
Old 08-30-2008, 01:15 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:
Murder and Death in an Accident is 2 different things. Serial killers not an accident, it intentional. did the Driver go out with the intent to kill?
He intentionally drove beyond what he is legally allowed to drive. At that point, it is no longer an "accident". It is INTENTIONAL.
Did he go out aiming for them? Saying I am out to kill these people? No. Did he say I want you to die tonight? No. Did he have a motive to go out to kill them? No. So was it intentionally? No So if it was not intentionally it was an Accident.

I am not saying he was right for him to drive beyond his hours, but the problem I see is even if he was still with in his hours and fell asleep and would gotten the same sentence. There a driver here from where i live is looking at the same thing, yet he did not fall asleep but passed out, went through the median and killed a girl, he only been on the road 45 minutes. Yet he faces the same sentence. He did not know of the medical problem till then, yet he may face prison time. Was his Intentional? No, but facing the same.

What I am saying is All should have a high Standard in driving, You can kill a person just as easy in a car as you can in a Big Truck....
Old 08-30-2008, 01:22 PM
Senior Board Member

So now you're saying that someone with an unknown medical problem is the same as someone who drives almost 2x the legal hours and falls asleep at the wheel is the same thing?
Old 08-30-2008, 02:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangetxguy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowman7
Its called punishment and part of the idea is to deter others from committing the same crime. 1 year for a serious violation resulting in 5 deaths is a slap on the hand. What if he had been drunk instead? Would you still think a year is enough?

See......Islam has this covered quite nicely.

Crime; Murder, Drugs or Rape.....Beheading.

Theft; Removal of offending hand.

Vandalism; Caning. 400 beats. Property owner gets first 50!!!

Now.....wouldn't that deter some crime??
There ya go making sense again! But we're far too 'civilized' to treat CRIMINALS that way. We have to give them cable TV and a free college education. Then we wonder why so many keep ending up back in there and why our prisons are so over crowded.

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-30-2008, 02:23 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Quote:

Quote:
What get me is the double standards. If he was driving a car and fell asleep at the wheel oh it was just an accident but since he was driving a Truck it was MURDER there for adding to the term Killer Truckers that Atlanta love to use....
So you are saying that truck drivers shouldn't be held to a higher standard than the rest of the public? And here I thought you had to get training, and a special license to drive a CMV, indicating very clearly that there is some higher standards involved...... :roll:

(BTW, it is arguments like yours which help employers and shippers to keep rates and wages down. After all, there's no higher standard, is there?)

You have to get training to drive a car also! Then the state gives you a SPECIAL license. Its not a fishing, hunting or dog license! Held to a higher standard, bull crap! Everyone who gets into a motor vehicle should suffer the same responsibility!!!!! Car or truck no difference!!!
Old 08-30-2008, 02:25 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydad
You have to get training to drive a car also! Then the state gives you a SPECIAL license. Its not a fishing, hunting or dog license! Held to a higher standard, bull crap! Everyone who gets into a motor vehicle should suffer the same responsibility!!!!! Car or truck no difference!!!
x2

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug