User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-14-2008, 01:46 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Wow. A great prank pulled on me at the Petro in Jackson, MS

Yesterday morning at the Petro in Jackson, MS I got up and pre-tripped the truck. I then walked over to the store to get a drink and a bite to eat. When I came back I happened to glance at my air lines.

I noticed they were swapped red-to-blue. I missed that on the pre-trip.

Now, obviously they weren't like that when I drove from Houston to Jackson.

I swapped them and kinda chuckled. Had I not noticed I would have jerked around a bit and may or may not have figured it out before getting the shop to look at "the stuck trailer brakes." I think I probably would have figured it out because I've reversed them myself before.

At least I was in a good mood. And it's better than someone pulling your fifth wheel release at night- something I always check because I have seen that happen at a truck stop.

Every day is an adventure, right?

-p.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:03 AM
Senior Board Member

A few of the many reasons I do not like staying at truckstops (but they are a necessary evil).
Saw the results of the pins being pulled from the container on its chassis. The truck had left the T/S making its turn onto the road. The container fell off onto its side into the street. Pathetic individuals at the T/Ss.
Very good pretrips needed when you stop at T/S for ANY length of time.
Old 08-14-2008, 02:56 AM
Senior Board Member

i've had that happen a few times. other times, some jackasses pulled the tandem bar. another time i caught some lard ass trying to crack the locks on the trailer i was pulling with some high-value stuff in it, some mexicants trying to jack the tail lights from my trailer, and once found my air lines on the glad hands had been cut. that one really pissed me off since it was a very time sensitive load going to hill afb in ogden, utah.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:41 AM
Board Icon

This is one of the reasons why I never set my trailer brakes, and every time I move the truck, I check the 5th wheel.
Old 08-14-2008, 07:41 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
This is one of the reasons why I never set my trailer brakes, and every time I move the truck, I check the 5th wheel.
Yup!!!

Trailer brakes are NOT meant for parking. That's why it's usually stamped right on the knob!!!
Old 08-14-2008, 08:00 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotSteve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev.Vassago
Yup!!!

Trailer brakes are NOT meant for parking. That's why it's usually stamped right on the knob!!!
Well, no, that's not correct. The reason that is stamped on the knob is because you aren't supposed to use only the trailer brakes for parking.

But if you don't set the trailer brakes, you'll notice very fast if someone is messing with your air lines, when your trailer brakes suddenly pop from your truck losing all its air.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:32 AM
Board Icon

That and it will make a loud hiss sound that you should be able to hear in the sleeper. The fool messing with it will take off with that loud hiss going off knowing they've just been busted.
Old 08-14-2008, 09:39 AM
Senior Board Member

I know if I hear that sound even a few trucks away I'm getting out and chasing someone if need be.
Old 08-14-2008, 11:50 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I got into the habit of not setting my trailer brakes because of the chance of shoes freezing to the drums in winter. Don't set them, and they roll free. But I have woke up a couple of times to the sound of air hissing. And, for my pretrip, I ALWAYS take my blue line off and put it back on again. I also hold my hand under it when I do. Seems that someone has figured out you can put a quarter in and block the air when you apply the brakes. You can be close to panic when you step on the brakes and the trailer does nothing. But, it's a simple matter to take the blue line off and hold one hand under it to catch the quarter, then put it back on.

Another one I've seen is a quarter in the red line. Then, either the kingpin is pulled, or the trailer tandems have been pulled. With the quarter in the line, the trailer does not release the brakes, and you either pull out from under the trailer, or you pull the trailer off the tandems. I've seen both, and I've seen the trailer fold in half when it came off the tandems, and I've seen the landing gear fold up when it hit the ground.

I like the button to pull the pins on the tandems on some of the new trailers. Great safety feature. Apply air to the trailer, and the button automatically pulls in and the pins come out. But, I've also found where someone cut open a 1/4 inch lock-washer and dropped it over the shaft for that button, and it keeps the button out when you apply the air.

If you set both buttons when you park, before you apply air, take the glad-hands off and put them back on again. If you have that handy air operated set of tandem pins, check the button before you apply air. Run your finger around the shaft of the button and make sure there's nothing in there. It'll save a whole lot of problems.