User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-13-2008, 12:52 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default "We're all profesionals here." Really?

Tell me if any of this makes sense to you:

This happened today around 5pm. In Maryland on I-68 exit 22 there are 2 truckstops. One is an older truckstop that's been there for years. Sharing the parking lot is a Burger King. On the opposite side of US-219 there is a Pilot that's been there about 6 months.

I decided to stop for a quick burger at BK. About 2 miles before I got off the interstate, I could hear people bitching and complaining about the parking at the Pilot (I know, what's new there). I exit the interstate and go into the truckstop's lot. People are now really going nuts over at the Pilot because a driver was having a hard time blind-siding into a spot (gotta love Pilot).

The truckstop I'm in is MAYBE 15% full. There was room for probably 50 more trucks in there. I get on the radio and tell people if they're wanting a place to park, come across the street. I go in, have my burger, use the restroom and come back out.

Well, I'm not sure if it was the same driver trying to blind-side in or not, but apparently things are STILL screwed up. Trucks are backed up clear around the building and out onto US-219. And STILL, this lot is empty. Again, I tell people to come across the street.

As I was leaving, one driver said something along the lines of "C'mon now - We're all professionals here."

Ok - you may be a professional driver, but you're definitely not a smart driver.
Old 08-13-2008, 01:20 AM
Senior Board Member

I know exactly where your talking about. I've stopped there quite a few times. Grantsville is a nice little area. Used to deliver to Guys Tire in the alley down there all the time back in my tire slingin' days.
I aint been down there in about a year. I think they were just starting constructin on the Pilot and it looked like they were startin to put some windmills up too.
It's especially nice down there in the fall/winter. There are all kinds of cool little season shops open on Rt 40. I usually take the wife down so she can spend all my money. Anywho, we're all professionals here.

Adapt and overcome.
Old 08-13-2008, 07:23 AM
Senior Board Member

Of course instead of someone getting off their lazy butt to help that driver who was trying to back in and having trouble all anyone close wanted to do was sit their and whine. That pretty much sum it up?
Old 08-13-2008, 08:00 AM
Senior Board Member

Come on now, it's the main nightly entertainment at a pilot! :P Although there are still those out there that will help a driver out, I remember one time I had to pick up a loaded off another driver who broke down at a t/s, and it just so happened that the damn t/s at the time was an ice rink. I was trying to back my empty in so I could drop it, but my drives got stuck on a slick spot, my trailer blocking the entire back row while I was trying to get it to move, after about 15 minutes of fiddling around and the penut gallery bickering away, someone came over and helped me get unstuck. Hey I learned a valuable lesson in tight quarters on ice that night!
Old 08-16-2008, 02:17 AM
BANNED
Senior Board Member

You know what driver, i have asked myself a same question before while i was in the SAME area of Grantsville..

Every time i go thru i stop at that BP on the left for a quick BK, always has room..