User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 01:26 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default fuelly

a web based way to keep track of your car's (sorry, no trucks yet) fuel mileage.

fuelly
Old 08-11-2008, 09:16 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I bought a 2008 Honda Civic Coupe (automatic) Memorial weekend. I've been watching the mileage, and it's giving me 38mpg with occasional A/C use. I haven't had a chance to get out on the highway with it yet. I'm sure it will do 40+mpg.

Old 08-11-2008, 09:39 PM
Board Icon

Tracking my fuel mileage has always been easy, but to be able to compare it to the economy of other cars would be handy when looking to replace the current one. You might be able to get a much better idea of what to expect from what you buy next.

And, http://carrunbywater.cn/ looks like somone went commercial with the "joe cell". Save 60% on gas with it? Sounds like someone has gone "used car salesman with that. Savings, yes, but I don't know about that much from one unit. Put the magnet on the line and get even better?????? :lol: :wink:

As far as tracking the fuel economy of the truck, that's been easy. I keep it all on DDL. Buy fuel, and enter the data. Tracks fuel economy of the truck, fuel prices in various states, and other costs as well. Can even get a good idea of the difference between mountains and flat ground too.

Old 08-11-2008, 10:40 PM
Senior Board Member

oh roadie, i am sooo jealous!

i'm waiting for the '09 pilot hybrid, that'll replace the '97 ford f150. have either of you heard of "chipping"? a friend sent me this link, but wasn't sure if it was legal as he thought it changed the emissions.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:12 PM
Senior Board Member

i bought myself a lovely yamaha r6. i don't pay attention to its fuel economy because i have yet to refuel it.
Old 08-11-2008, 11:40 PM
Board Icon

They say that the emissions are legal in all states. One of the ways to increase performance is to advance the ignition timing, and I'm sure they are doing that. Another thing to do is to lengthen the duration of the spark, and I don't think they have a way of doing that. But, by advancing the spark, if memory serves me right, you also produce more oxides of nitrogen which could be a problem. What I DO SEE....
Quote:
The factories tune for average drivers who might buy low-octane gasoline and lug the engine. Our calibrations are engineered for drivers who care about performance and use premium-grade fuel. Gains of 10 to 20 horsepower with 3 to 7 tenths of a second improvement in acceleration times from 0 to 70 mph are typical - some improvements are even greater. However, some applications can enjoy tuning specifically for regular fuel. You can check on these applications by clicking on Dodge, Ford, or GM to view our feature comparison charts.
Looks to me like they are catering to drivers that don't care about the cost of the fuel they use. More for "signing your name to the intersection in rubber" than fuel economy. I think I'd take a better look at the HHO unit in the link at "Fuelly". They claim a 60% improvement for a $40 investment. But, that may also increase your oxides of nitrogen by putting more oxygen into the engine.

Years ago, I had a 1947 Chevy. The vacuum advance was connected directly to the intake manifold. A '77 Ford LTD I had with a 400 cu in engine had it connected to the carb. When I changed that over to the intake manifold, the mileage went up from 16 to 33. Engine timing DOES make that big a difference. But, it was as part of the emissions control that it was put onto the carb. Today, you do need something like that to "fool" the computer with the timing. You're friend might be right about the emissions, though. Don't just take the company hype about the emissions. More and more areas are becoming emissions-aware, and in CA, especially.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:50 AM
Senior Board Member

I've been keeping track since 1999 with Excel.
Old 08-12-2008, 09:44 AM
Senior Board Member

I have a Mustang GT with a V8. When I get home after being on the road for a month I slam my foot to the floor for a week and get 12mpg.