User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2008, 03:16 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What is a good Camera system for Trucks...?

rank posed the question on another thread. I don't know know, but have been collecting some notes.

Some key specifications still need to be defined, such as field and depth of view.
Also, low light, no light conditions.
Loop back, for when the storage device is filled.

Many more...

Some notes:
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/
There are many on-line merchants who are not as honest as their web site might claim.
Topic List: Shooting from a car
http://camcorderinfo.resultspage.com...=Q&ts=v2&w=car

Panasonic DR-S150 .. all solid state, OIS, 10X optical zoom and records is all to SDHC cards. The quality of video is quite impressive for the camera and a recent 2 hour ride at SP recording setting fit on a DVD with such quality I was totally amazed.
Though it has OIS I would still shock mount it to get rid of the small tiny shake/bumps when you hit potholes and such.

I know of several other pilots using a Canon Elura 100, but I guess they have been discontinued...

But you should still look for a mic in port because many camera mics can't handle loud engine noise. OIS (optical image stabilization) is a good idea, as well as a camera with good colors and high zoom so you can see things on the ground.
I recommend a Panasonic GS80 because I know it would perform in those conditions, although it doesn't have an analog to digital passthrough.

HD doesn't like fast motion, so shots perpendicular to the track may look terrible relative to lower resolution SD. Long shots down the length of the track though reduce apparent motion and could work well in HD.

Use a miniDV (Canon ZR850) to record my track days with a tailor made headrest bracket mount, it works beaut.

In all the people that record their track days, 99.99% use miniDV as it's more eliable.
Link Has Links to Other Threads.
http://www.camcorderinfo.com/bbs/t138353.html

The 720p progressive scanning format with its high speed capability to shoot at 60 frames per second is regarded by ABC, FOX and ESPN as the best high definition for the fast action sports.

So the only affordable alternative to the Panasonic HVX200 is the Samsung high definition video camera whichs costs $800 and offers progressive scan 720p video.

? about Samsung (Poor quality reports in reviews & forums) frame rate...

Canon HV20??
If you can afford HD go with the HV20, seems to be a killer camcorder for its price.

Sony DCR SR290 ?
Liberals - Relentless, Vile, Sniveling, Whining, Lying, Vitriolic Complainers.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:19 AM
Board Regular

More notes:
AIPTEK may have a questionable quality of product.

Here's my camera system based on Sony Super HAD CCD 480 TV lines bullet camera and Archos 604 multimedia player/recorder.

I bought the bullet camera package from Sports-camera.com. The package contained e.g. a fixed and a velcro mount, battery holder, microphone and some cables. Details here:

http://www.sports-camera.com/helmet_...ucts_PAL%20top (Mine is the Pack #3)
http://www.sports-camera.com/helmet_...ckage_includes (package contents)

The camera came with a 4.3mm lens that gives 78 degree viewing angle. I also ordered an additional 3.6mm lens with 92 degree angle. I haven't tested that one yet, but I think the wider angle of view might be better. Now you don't see the apexes in the tightest corners before you hit them.

Archos 604 records 640x480 at 30 fps which should be enough for most purposes. It records the video on a 30GB hard disk as MPEG4 encoded AVI so no conversion is needed to view the recordings on a computer or even when uploading them to youtube.
http://www.archos.com/products/video...global&lang=en

Archos' hard drive should stand vibration well, but I have had some issues.. I had the Archos upside down (to enable easier cabling) in drivers side map pocket with some bubble wrap around it. Initially all my recordings failed as the device had shut itself down due to vibration I think (safety precaution?). I turned the Archos 180 degrees, and I haven't had any problems since. Well, only one trackday and autocross tested so far...
Old 08-11-2008, 03:22 AM
Board Regular

more notes:
hard drive recorders shut-off spontaneously on the track due to the vibrations and g-forces. The same thing happends to the DVD based recorders. Get a Mini DV recorder for best results.

THE RECORDER

Home video has relied on cassette tapes for a long time. The problem is that they involve a lot of moving parts, which can get shaken up badly inside a race car. The Mustek PVR-A1 is a no-moving-parts solution that records MPEG-4 encoded video files to a SD memory card and is about the size of an Apple iPod. It also has a screen, so you can see that your cameras are aimed correctly, and also review your laps right there at the track. It also has a rechargeable battery for when it's out of the car, so you can show other people your laps and exciting off-track excursions.

A $50 SD card holds 3.5 hours of video, and goes right into a $5 reader for the laptop, which means no cables, encoding, or other nonsense when you want to get the videos into the computer.

It's the bargain of my package, at about $95 through Amazon.com.

But this is a world that's changing and improving at a startling rate. Since I bought my Mustek recorder, I've learned about a better option: the Aiptek MPVR Digital Camcorder. (Note: Questionable Quality)
It functions as a standalone video camera, but also has an AV input, and -- importantly -- it can record at the much better 640x480 resolution. The Mustek PVR-A1 could only record at 320x240.

PICTURE-IN-PICTURE

The View-2.com box by RCD Video allows you to combine two incoming video streams into one image. You can have an inset box -- a picture in the picture that shows, in my case, my hands and feet in the cockpit, linked in real time to the larger image of the track. You can change the size and location of the box in the frame, and you can also do half-split frames (horizontal or vertical) if you want to do a front-rear setup. It's a little pricey at $289, because it's not really a consumer item. It's not cheap, but I think there's a real value to being able to see what you're doing (in addition to what the car is doing) in a lap video -- and it's a pain in the neck to post-process two different recordings together.

CAMERAS

I found a cheap source for Sony 1/3-inch CCD HAD bullet cameras, and there's an annoying problem with them that finally pushed me to buy a more expensive model. Many bullet cameras seem to be engineered for low-light photography, which makes them 'bleach out' too readily in bright light use -- like when you're driving at the track. I've finally concluded that the cheap cameras are fine for the cockpit-based camera (since there's less light in the car), so this one is a good choice for that.

But I just found a better solution for the outside-the-car camera. It's a 530-line high-resolution camera with a 1/3-inch latest-generation SuperHAD (whatever that means) Sony sensor. Out of the box, it is less prone to the 'bleaching' effect, and it's capable of high enough resolution so that you could record to DV tapes and have a DVD-like image. But what it also has that's unusual is a wired remote control that you can attach to it which allows you to digitally zoom in or out, and pan or tilt on the digitally zoomed image. That's cool, but it's not all that crucial to lap videos. But the Super-HAD camera also allows you to manually adjust the camera's iris up or down in steps to compensate for a too-bright sky (or a too-dark day, or anything else, really). The iris still responds automatically to incoming light level changes, but the steps allow you to change the range that it's opening or closing the iris within. When you power the camera off, it reverts to its normal settings.

It's $209 for this camera, and another $25 for the remote control. But the manual control the remote gives you is unique among the bullet cameras I've seen, and it holds the settings even after you unplug the remote. This retailer also includes all the stuff the other guys typically nickel and dime you for. You get an AC adapter, a 25-foot video and power cable, a 12V battery adapter, the RCA cables to connect it to a digital recorder or VCR, and a BNC-RCA adapter. I also got an extra lens for $20. It came with a wide-angle 3.6mm lens. I also got a 2.9-mm one that's even wider. I can switch them pretty easily without compromising the camera's weatherproof-ness.

I include the quarter to show relative size. And if I had to do it again, here's a picture of the Aiptek camera with its better resolution.

MICROPHONE

You also need an $8 microphone. It's something you can get at Radio Shack, as well. I have the mic tucked down between the roll bar and the side of the car, down along the B pillar. It's inside a piece of foam, which cuts down on wind noise.

It's worthwhile to make the trip to Radio Shack to put together some 12V power lines from the cigarette lighter or other power source with plugs for the cameras and the recorder.

SOURCES

Here are online web pages for sources for the camera and recorders:

SONY Super HAD CCD Color Bullet Style Camera (VC-805)
$53.95 ea.

http://store.yahoo.com/webtronics/sosuhadccdco2.html

NEW Color High Resolution / High Density Sony 1/3" Super HAD CCD
Weatherproof / Outdoor Bullet Camera with Swivel Mounting Bracket
and 3x Digital Zoom (using optional RMT-3X / 3XL remote controller) M.S.R.P. $299.95
Eyespyvideo.com- Only $209.95

http://www.eyespyvideo.com/color/wea...oof/cc-5hr.htm

Mustek PVR A1 Personal Media Center Recorder
Currently unavailable. None on Amazon.
Pros: price, compact design, great features (with drawbacks)

Cons: clunky interface, has a mind of its own, POOR battery life, poor build quality
The PVR-A1 appears very close in features and form factor to the Audiovox PVR1000.

Aiptek MPVR 6MP MPEG4 Digital Camcorder with 4x Digital Zoom Price: $127.99
Questionable Quality
http://digitalcamera.town-art.com/pr...000AV14J0.html
Old 08-11-2008, 03:31 AM
Board Regular

more notes:
'Safety Vision'will be pricey.
The recorder just kept looping therefore no need to reset it.
It would save all your events until you deleted them manually.
The record plays back on your laptop.

A wide screen monitor, would also be nice.
M-Peg in the recording mode is like having thousands of high resolution pictures saved to your hard drive.

Winter is hard on cameras... You need waterproof cables with sealed connections

http://www.safetyvision.com/
http://www.ts2net.com/

Avoid DriveCam:
http://www.drivecam.com/
It is a cheap unit, designed to monitor the driver.
Old 08-11-2008, 03:41 AM
Board Regular

There you have the extent of my notes.

I haven't taken the time to distill everything down, to decide on any particular system.

If some one had the motivation, and time, they could probably find a good system from a couple of hundred to several thousand dollars.

If some one puts all this together, it would be nice if they would let us all know the result.

Or, offer the dealer a volume deal, for a good discount, for anybody here, that would be interested in the same system.

My own target is up to about $1,500, give or take a little, here or there.

There are still questions:

Where do you mount the cameras?
Inside, outside, both?

Some are Not Durable. How do you know whether it will hold up, on the road.?

I think I got most of what I've collected.

there are Several Pages in the forums, at Pelican Parts Technical:
http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=296768