User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008, 10:49 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Vehicle weight, Jake Brake and Stop lights!

I know I am going to get some smart remarks on this. But, I am very curious to where or who was the fool that dreamed up these Laws.
1. Vehicle weight limit for speed in Ohio. Sign says on highways no vehicle over 4 ton empty or non commercial buses can go over 55? Back motor coaches pulling a vehicle weight a lot more than 4 ton. But they can do the legal speed of 60/65? Why, over 4 ton and non commercial?
2. Jake brake restrictions, Out in the middle of nowhere between Carroll,Ohio and Lancaster, Ohio is the steep hill. At 79,900 it is pretty hard to slowed down just using your brakes. There is to family houses off to the right of the highway quite a distance from the highway it's self, located down on a valley. In my belive it is a lot more dangerous not to use your jake due to the steepness, then a little noise, (my jake is very quiet due to company policy.
3. I travel to a refinery to get oil and through this residential put of a fairly large town. This one light that I make a left turn at has a fairly large white line for the traffic to stop at due to the wide turn that a tractor and tanker has to make. If a vehicle has crossed the line even 2 foot your not going make that turn due toa telephone pole on the right side right on the corner of the street. The other week I was pinned in due to a vehicle crossed this line a vehicle length. I blocked traffic from all directions due too, I could not go forward or backwards. A city officer arrived on the seen and noticed what was wrong due to the vehicle over the line. Once everything was cleared where I copuld go forward to get straighten out, the officer had me to stop along the street. This is what he said? Well, it looked like to me (officer) that you was making a turn against a red light. He did'nt give me a ticket, but any fool could see what the main problem was. The lady in the vehicle should have got a ticket for being over the stop line at light. (Why Not)
Old 08-09-2008, 11:14 AM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

I can sum it up in two words, what my Boss would say to me.

:evil: Duh!..............OHIO!

Old 08-09-2008, 12:04 PM
Senior Board Member

2 - I know that exact hill you're talking about. I run my engine brake anyway. Hell, I can barely hear it inside the cab. I doubt the people living 1/2 mile off the road will hear it.

3 - I've had that exact situation elsewhere. The police wrote the people who crossed the white line a ticket for running a stop sign. But, the idiot in the car who crossed the line was getting mouthy with the cop.
Old 08-09-2008, 01:03 PM
Board Icon

#1, Few run the lower speed limit down on Rt. 32 in Ohio, particulary the locals. I've been sitting on 65 in my car and had covered wagons driving away from me or pacing me.

#2, We have several local laws and nobody abides by them due to the steepness of the hills. Have yet to hear of anyone getting a ticket for running the jakes anyways. Blame those signs on the fools who think their monster 10 inch stacks sound cool with the jakes on high and so they let them woof every chance they get.

#3, Chatham, VA has an intersection like your saying except it is for trucks making a right turn onto Rt. 57. As for the cop you experience, musta been Roscoe P Coltrane. Bet the light also turned green while you were sitting there. I had one this past Tuesday where my lead pilot car went thru a 3 way stop ahead of me in order to stop traffic on my right. I was making a hard right hand turn that was blind, I could not see oncoming traffic from the right due to a building and had a telephone pole right against the curb. He pulled around to block the left turn lane up and a lady stopped, then drove around him in the right hand turn lane for her side right as I started my turn. She was trying to make a left turn and her I was sitting there blocking everything up. We got it figured out rather quick and went on our way. Best thing to do is just stop and let the cars get out of the way.