User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-21-2008, 07:09 AM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default What happened to the Luv???

So I'm sure this has been posted before but let me re-iterate on it. First of all not at all bagging on you east coast drivers but.... it seems that the more east you go the less courteous truck drivers seem to be. What I'm re-iterating on is when you pass another truck and you wanna get back in the slow lane, I personally appreciate it when the truck I pass flashes or turns his/her lights on/off to let me back in. It just seems that truckers aren't as enthusiastic about being friendly to each other, especially out on the roads.

Now I understand that fuel prices are up and Flying J sells syphnoning hoses, economy is going to sh*t, our present and future president suck, it's hot and humid, stupid drivers are born everyday, you may not be getting good miles but honestly thats no reason to be in a bad mood all the time. When your out on the road be a part of the brother/sisterhood of trucking and give that truck that passes you a wave and flash him/her back in when they pass you, it's only courteous and believe me if your NOT trying to lose weight you surely wont lose a lot of weight by unsticking your sweaty forearm from that arm rest and flick your lights switch. Trust me I'm not always in the greatest of moods but when I'm driving I try to put all my problems aside and enjoy the ride and the scenary, when your down in the dumps or you think your job sucks just think of all the thousands of people that would love to be in your shoes and they cant whether it be because of a disability, age, etc, etc. so you really dont have it that bad, it can always get worse. Sorry for such a long message but when I first got my CDL and started with.......yes Swift, I was like a 5yr old at Disneyland, I waved at every truck that passed me which was pretty much everyone except Swift and I flashed my lights to let them back in and was as courteous as I could be to all drivers truckers or not. Thanks.
Old 07-21-2008, 12:00 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Unfortunately, there are all too many drivers who don't wait to be flashed. I just drove back to the house from Florida and lost count as to the number of drivers who cut back in front of me before I had time to flash them. Some cut it so close I thought I would lose my hood. :?
Old 07-21-2008, 01:24 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMAN
Unfortunately, there are all too many drivers who don't wait to be flashed.
there are also many of us who don't want to be flashed no pun intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy
you may not be getting good miles but honestly that's no reason to be in a bad mood all the time. When your out on the road be a part of the brother/sisterhood of trucking and give that truck that passes you a wave and flash him/her back in when they pass you
while you think flashing is courtesy wimpy, i think it's an unsafe practice and i won't do it. it has nothing to do with being an east coast driver, or how courteous or friendly you are, it has all to do with giving up part of your job as a driver to someone else.

just as you have made assumptions about why someone won't flash you back in, you make assumptions when flashing. how about a scenario like this.......... a little sports car you've held up in the left lane, who's so close to your bumper you can't see it, whips out to pass you on the right, just after i flashed you clear. you move over on him, and i now have no way to tell you that it's not clear.

i flash you, you hit him, and you get to look really stupid saying to the cop. well she flashed me in! :?
Old 07-21-2008, 03:08 PM
Senior Board Member

I flash the lights and wave just out of habit. But Vavega makes a valid point as well. I can't argue with what you all said so far.
Old 07-21-2008, 08:15 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

There is also a breed of driver out there who I believe deliberately hit you right at the time you are looking into your right mirror with the dim to BRIGHT lights. They don't flicker the light either. They do a burn your retina to raisins long flash...to make sure they blind the crap out of you.
Personally...I don't need another driver helping me drive. I have come to the point I just as soon they drive their own truck, and let me drive mine. I'm plenty friendly and courteous enough in many ways. I also use common sense. There are times, and you can tell when...a little help is nice. But bottom line...if you can't pass with out someones help...don't pass.

If you feel you MUST help me...its turn the lights OFF briefly/and back on.
NOT dim/... B-R-I-G-H-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T-T....dim. :roll:

There are times I wonder if I'll get my front bumper back as well ...if I'm able to raise that steering wheel holder on the CB...and if I can have a conversation in English.

There are plenty of ways to be courteous. I even slow down a tad bit, when I see someone is struggling to get around me. It's no big deal for me to get back up to my cruising speed, once someone has cleared me comfortably. I won't fight over the road for anything. Especially 1 mph or a need to be in front. It's a long road.

I won't disagree that the common courtesy has been slipping away, along with common sense...and road rage has become an everyday occurrence.

Old 07-21-2008, 08:23 PM
Board Icon

With so much traffic on the road here on the East Coast your better off not paying attention to a driver flashing you back in. As vavega stated, too many cars see that tiny hole and go for it at the same time your coming over after being flashed. They think the flash is for them not for the truck in front of them. Best off clearing yourself over here if you want to avoid merging into a car.
Old 07-21-2008, 10:40 PM
Board Regular
Default agree completely

What you said wimpy. I dont think its just east coaast though. Trucking isnt easy and we all seem to need peopjle to take it out on
Old 07-22-2008, 12:43 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I see just as many discourteous drivers out West as I do in the East. I am not sure that it has anything to do with where you live or run. There are those who are not courteous no matter where you go.
Old 07-22-2008, 02:34 AM
Senior Board Member

what is love? baby, don't hurt me, don't hurt me, don't hurt me no more.... :rock:
Old 07-22-2008, 02:57 AM
Senior Board Member

I to tend to not flash...as GMAN said, "all too many driver who dont wait to be flashed". Most of the time the passing driver is on his way back before I would have a chance to reach for the switch.

I agree with Roadhog....my courteousy, extends to slowing a little if the passing driver is struggling to complete the pass on me.

Now here is the $100 question. Does the "flash" indicate that you have cleared my bumper, or, there is adequete safety gap between us and its now ok to come back? If a safety gap is established then you will have a parade of 4wheels (and probably some BBRs) cutting in and leaving the passing truck in the left lane.