User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2008, 04:09 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

I agree, I think several things have taken place to drop courtosy

1. parents bring children up diferently, every generation, not just the newest one
2. cell phones. That trucker on the side of the road can usually call road service, or qualcom there dispatcher instead of thumbing a ride to the closest ts to get someone to tow them to the ts, etc.
3. the whole help others metality is out the window, you don't know who you can trust these days.

I still flash over and "thank" hose that flash me over, but that don't relieve me of my duty to make a judgment call and look for that rouge 4 wheeler or decide if that trucker might decde they need a new hood when comming over or backing into a spot at the t/s
Old 07-22-2008, 04:19 AM
Senior Board Member

As an east coaster, and especially the north east, very few people are friendly, and you add that to the traffic conditions, and you have a brew of unfriendliness. Not personally how I am, but just the way it is.

As far as 'flashing' people over, I always just flashed my marker lights, it's visible, but not blinding, although not every truck has that capability, it is what I always did. Yeah I believe you should be able to know if you are far up enough to safely come back over, but it is always nice to get the courtesy, and don't just 'blindly' go over either, always look first. I was going down 95 once, and a JB lease op was passing me, the back end of his trailer was up to my hood, and a little car came up on me and switched over to the passing lane, and flashed me to let me know he was passing, and the JB driver must of thought I was flashing him and decided to try to come over into me, luckily there was a nice bit of shoulder for me to go over on and give him an ear full of air horn.
Old 07-26-2008, 10:27 AM
Board Regular

Well as usual, certain people have to take posts to the extreme. All I was saying is that the courtesy of trucking has gone downhill. Now if your that incompetent and dont realize theres someone behind you ESPECIALLY at nite and you run into them trying to switch lanes even though you were flashed well thats your fault. Me personally, even during the day I know when there is/isnt someone behind me. When someone flashes you to come back in the slow lane, theres no law saying you have to go back into the slow lane. It's almost like a christmas present, "it's the thought that counts" and basically thats where the courtesy comes in. So thats all I'm sayin is that it would be nice to have more courteous drivers out there to make it a pleasant drive, but I know not everyone out there enjoys their job or life and thats the way it is.

Now the other thing I was talking about "flashing" another truck to come back into the slow lane, well I meant to turn your headlights off (for a split second) and then turn them back on so then no ones feelings are hurt, the guy you flash doesnt get blinded and you dont lose track of where your going because you turn your lights off for too long. I personally NEVER flash my high beams to another truck passing because I know it's bright and I dont like it myself so I dont do it to others. So in closing I just wanna say, if its your trucking lifestyle to flash other drivers that pass you back into the slow lane well then keep on doin it, if its not then hey dont do it, whatever makes you happy then keep doin it, but honestly theres no reason to make up some scenario just to make it sound like your tryin to cause a crash or something when honestly your just being courteous!!
Old 07-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Board Icon

Wimpy, we're not making up scenario's, these incidents do happen in reality and they happen very often.
Old 07-26-2008, 02:51 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy
Well as usual, certain people have to take posts to the extreme.
Quote:
All I was saying is that the courtesy of trucking has gone downhill.
Now if your that incompetent and dont realize theres someone behind you ESPECIALLY at nite and you run into them trying to switch lanes even though you were flashed well thats your fault. Me personally, even during the day I know when there is/isnt someone behind me. When someone flashes you to come back in the slow lane, theres no law saying you have to go back into the slow lane. It's almost like a christmas present, "it's the thought that counts" and basically thats where the courtesy comes in. So thats all I'm sayin is that it would be nice to have more courteous drivers out there to make it a pleasant drive, but I know not everyone out there enjoys their job or life and thats the way it is.

Now the other thing I was talking about "flashing" another truck to come back into the slow lane, well I meant to turn your headlights off (for a split second) and then turn them back on so then no ones feelings are hurt, the guy you flash doesnt get blinded and you dont lose track of where your going because you turn your lights off for too long. I personally NEVER flash my high beams to another truck passing because I know it's bright and I dont like it myself so I dont do it to others. So in closing I just wanna say, if its your trucking lifestyle to flash other drivers that pass you back into the slow lane well then keep on doin it, if its not then hey dont do it, whatever makes you happy then keep doin it, but honestly theres no reason to make up some scenario just to make it sound like your tryin to cause a crash or something when honestly your just being courteous!!
Quote:
All I was saying is that the courtesy of trucking has gone downhill.
Truer words were never spoken!!
Old 07-26-2008, 02:53 PM
Board Regular

I hate everyone and make sure no one is able to pass :lol:

Actually, like I've seen others say, I'll back it off if another truck is trying to pass, but can only go 1-2 mph faster. When passing or being passed, I'll wave and I shut my lights off when flashing. Its just a courtesy thing, not trying to tell someone that I think they need help driving their truck.

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 07-26-2008, 03:03 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom433a
I hate everyone and make sure no one is able to pass :lol:

Actually, like I've seen others say, I'll back it off if another truck is trying to pass, but can only go 1-2 mph faster. When passing or being passed, I'll wave and I shut my lights off when flashing. Its just a courtesy thing, not trying to tell someone that I think they need help driving their truck.

you are a true professional sir... keep it up, there aint many left
Old 07-26-2008, 04:38 PM
Board Icon
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimpy
Well as usual, certain people have to take posts to the extreme.
With respect, I don't understand this statement, wimpy.
What I see is everyone is in agreement with you...and added more dimension to your thread.

I pointed out there are those who have turned this courtesy into something far from courteous.
Gman pointed out, there are those who don't wait for the courtesy, or maybe missed it for whatever reason.
Vavega pointed out, this courtesy can be dangerous at certain times.
I thought there was good input by everyone.

It is also a matter of common sense. It is a huge courtesy when offered because of low visibility. It is not necessarily a lack of courtesy, the rest of the time.
There may be many reasons why it is not always offered....even if one of the reasons is, someone is just not in the mood to extend any courtesy.

Although I do agree with your sentiment, I don't agree with your level of priority.
I believe there are far more important acts of courtesy, although, the loss of simple courtesy is felt
...just not always necessarily a measure of lack of proper courtesy or regional dysfunction.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:39 PM
Rookie

That is obe thing that urks me for another driver not waiting for me to flas him :P
Old 07-27-2008, 12:22 AM
Board Regular
Default good points

Good point about that sportscar passing on the right but the thing is that fool passing on the right can do it at any moment another driver flicking his lights off and on has nothing to do with it. I've had TRUCKS disappear in my mirrors at night. Flicking your lights is just to let the other driver know you're far enough ahead to move over.. i think it's a pretty basic assumption that you're still going to check your mirrors if you're competant. If not then you dont need to be in that truck.

Having said that have those of you complaining about "this generation!" being so bad considered that you're the problem? If i see someone on the side of the road in my car i pull over. If in my truck i help if i can but most of the time theres nothing you can or should do.. a repair truck is already on the way. I've sat in traffic when i got home at 7am for 2 hours behind an elderly lady broken down at a stop light while the tow truck came. If i see someone stranded and walking for gas i pick them up. If i see someone in bad shape walking i try to offre them a ride.. with obvious exceptions for people who look far from trustworthy. Thats courtesy and MOST of you dont practice it. You ogle when you pass someone thats about it. Or you talk smack about them. You dont help. How many of you have given some guy on the side of the road a buck on the chance that honest to god he's a person just like you come on hard times? Thats what Truckers USED to be like. Too many of you are so fixated on greed and fear to help. If you want it to change it starts with You as i eventually realised.