Old 07-07-2008, 12:54 PM
Board Icon
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDiesel
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Is it safe: Yes, is it the safest way to go, no.

No matter what trucks do or don't do, no matter how fast they can or can't go you will hear complaining from the 4 wheelers. The trucking industry is in a no win situation when it comes to making the general public happy.

Uh..... Mr. Mom... When was the last time you actually drove a CMV ???
And how is THAT relevant?? There are several posters on this site who are "retired" from trucking. Do they somehow immediately forget everything they ever knew about trucking on the day they park it? :shock:

Must they also surrender their right to give opinions at that same time?

If so..... just WHEN is it that YOU plan to retire? :lol: :lol:

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:21 PM
Senior Board Member

Like me who REMEBERS WHEN Scheinder was at 55 Swift at 57 JB at 58 Transport America at 62. Those days that if fuel keeps going up WILL BE HERE again. Back then we called the Drag race when JB pulled out to pass Swift or Swift pulled out to pass the great Pumpkin. The LTL's were all at 59 or less. Try having a truck that ran the speedlimit out west or across TX at 65 when they were a split speed and then having to pass those companies. Yes I may not have driven in almost 8 years however I still have kept current on the DOT regs Big Diesel. Back then you did not need a CBI from hell for a Haz-mat Endorsement you took the test passed it and got it. BTW guys that was less than 10 years ago when all those companies were that slow.
Old 07-07-2008, 05:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by ironeagle_2006
Like me who REMEBERS WHEN Scheinder was at 55 Swift at 57 JB at 58 Transport America at 62. Those days that if fuel keeps going up WILL BE HERE again. Back then we called the Drag race when JB pulled out to pass Swift or Swift pulled out to pass the great Pumpkin. The LTL's were all at 59 or less. Try having a truck that ran the speedlimit out west or across TX at 65 when they were a split speed and then having to pass those companies. Yes I may not have driven in almost 8 years however I still have kept current on the DOT regs Big Diesel. Back then you did not need a CBI from hell for a Haz-mat Endorsement you took the test passed it and got it. BTW guys that was less than 10 years ago when all those companies were that slow.
Since you claim to be current on today's regs..... What is the regulation for " Driving in to a lake with a super-secret haz-mat load ????"

I cannot find that regulation in the little book or the web.....
Old 07-08-2008, 03:00 AM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

Several studies have been done that found that variances between trucks and 4 wheelers are more dangerous than if all traffic traveled at the same speed. It has been several years ago, but I believe the American Automobile Association was one of those agencies which did a study on this. In addition, I believe Ontario or one of the Canadian provinces did a study with the same conclusion. I think Virginia also did a study which supports the other two. That is one reason why I was really surprised that Canada would push for split speed limits between trucks and cars. From a safety standpoint, it doesn't make any sense. There must have been a lot of palms greased to get it passed.

From the carrier's point of view, several have lowered the speed on their company trucks. It is their right since it is their property. If they lower the speeds too low then they will present a hazard to traffic. I think all vehicles should be able to do the speed limit in every state in which they travel. Of course, that is one reason several of the large carriers want to force all companies to limit their trucks. They want to minimize the dissatisfaction with the lower speed limits. If all trucks are traveling at the same speed then there would be no reason for drivers to switch to companies who have faster trucks.