User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-01-2008, 07:19 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffTheTerrible
Is it true that they've closed the Eden terminal?
last i knew it was still open but it was only for beer runs. they won't let anyone park there nor is the shop open.
Old 07-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syncrosonix
i've heard too many variations of stories about dsw and how they've come to exist. i don't know what's the truth. i'm wondering if they're in the same boat as "roads west" is to knight refrigerated.
The story I heard was that DSW stands for 'Digby Southwest', and that the guy was married into the Digby family, but got divorced, and was separated from Digby as a result. The validity of the story, I don't know, but I do remember that DSW drivers were treated more the same as lease ops or drivers for small fleets leased onto Swift, and they did have the "Leased to Swift Transportation" sticker on their trucks. The terminal in Tucson is very real, though. I've had to take on fuel there a couple times before, but I'd usually try to pass it up if I had enough fuel to make it to my destination, because the place had no showers.

[quote][color=blue]i've never been to the eden terminal, nor have i heard anything about it.[/color[/blue]

Eden was the North Carolina terminal. Kinda crappy compared to the other terminals, but the mechanics there did a real good job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeshock

last i knew it was still open but it was only for beer runs. they won't let anyone park there nor is the shop open.
Yeah, they did have some sort of dedicated beer run out of there. They also had a dedicated flatbed fleet to haul chassis from Freightliner in Gaffney to Thomas Built Buses in Hi Point. There was also an OTR flatbed fleet out of Eden, which I ran for. The last time I saw the terminal (I was driving past on my way to VA), they had actually paved it, which must've been a shock to everyone who had anything to do with that terminal (especially for those who've had to be towed out of the infamous 'Lake Hewitt'). The terminal manager's son was in charge of flatbed operations out of Eden, and he was a great guy to work for.. one of the few high points of my time with Swift.
Old 07-03-2008, 01:01 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat
I've seen DSW at every terminal in the country, but usually see most of them either in Memphis or phoenix.
DSW also has their own terminal in Tucson.. crappy little place... They're actually an entire company which is leased on with Swift, and not a subsidiary company of Swift.

The DSW yard in Tucson was actually one of my favorite places. Always relatively empty with lots of parking in the dirt lot behind the building.

My only problem with that yard was all the military jets and other aircraft that have a flight path right over the place.

As for having no showers....unless it's changed since the last time I was there..they had 3 showers down the hall from the washing machines.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:09 AM
Senior Board Member

They actually manage to keep them working now? :shock:
Back in '04, they never seemed to be.
Old 07-03-2008, 02:25 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajritter04
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by matcat
I've seen DSW at every terminal in the country, but usually see most of them either in Memphis or phoenix.
DSW also has their own terminal in Tucson.. crappy little place... They're actually an entire company which is leased on with Swift, and not a subsidiary company of Swift.

The DSW yard in Tucson was actually one of my favorite places. Always relatively empty with lots of parking in the dirt lot behind the building.

My only problem with that yard was all the military jets and other aircraft that have a flight path right over the place.

As for having no showers....unless it's changed since the last time I was there..they had 3 showers down the hall from the washing machines.

i have/had no idea where their terminal is located. it's located in the flight path of the jets coming and going from davis-monthan afb?
Old 07-03-2008, 02:32 AM
Senior Board Member

Lemme see.. if you're headed west on I-10, there's that one truck stop in Tucson... for a westbound driver, it would be the exit before the one for the truck stop, and then you'd turn north at the top of the ramp. You wouldn't have very far to go - you can see it as soon as you get to the top of the offramp.