User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-16-2008, 06:13 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Please Count!!!

Next time you are running by Palm Springs, CA. could you please count the number of windmills there???

My 8 year old granddaughter is coming to visit this summer and want to be able to tell her how many there are. I go by there a couple times a week and my eyes end up rolling around in my head after i get to about twenty.

Peace Out 8) 8)
Fuelman
Old 05-16-2008, 06:32 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Using Google Maps satellite imaging, I count a total of 29.

There are 10 of them (5 on each side of I-10) west of Date Palm Drive.

Between Date Palm Dr and Raman Rd, I count 19 more (18 on the south side of I-10 and 1 on the north side).

Looks like there might be a couple more west of Monterrey, but I can't tell very easily on those as they look to be smaller.

Amazing what you can see in CA while sitting in IA.

Old 05-17-2008, 05:04 PM

There are actually maybe 2 to 3 hundred. It can be really distracting when the wind is blowing and they are all spinning. Don'nt stare for too long!!!

Peace Out 8) 8)
Fuelman
Old 05-17-2008, 07:02 PM
Senior Board Member

Fuelman is right. There are much more before date palm. When you past the CA111 exit, there are too many to count. I think they stop at date palm but begin before the rest area at the bottom of the hill. Date palm is the exit for the Pilot?(I could be mistaken.)
Old 05-18-2008, 06:56 AM
Board Icon

Yes, there are hundreds in the Palm Valley, and another hundred on Tehachapi Pass. Several more hundred across the plains of Oklahoma, and more, still, west of Amarillo in Texas!

They provide little actual electrical power, and are an eyesore for anyone who loves the scenery that we truckers USED to be able to see! :roll:

Soon, the whole expanse of Western America will be covered by them, and there will be NO MORE beautiful sights to see! No more mountain vistas, no more open plains! I am SICK of them! Our poor excuse for a govenment has traded the beauty of this country for a minimal "experiment" to quiet the environmentalists!

We are sitting on MORE oil than all the countries in the World combined, but we can't drill for it! Why? Environmental concerns. Yet, we can ruin the beauty of this country by putting up these abominations!

It's enough to make a diehard OTR driver take a LOCAL job! :shock: :lol:

I want my country back! I want an uncluttered view of the sunset! I want these stupid windmills to go away! The day these eyesores come CLOSE to providing the energy they CLAIM to supply, and gas prices come DOWN as a result, is the day I will eat my hat!

And WHY do they have to be RIGHT NEXT to the freeway I'm travelling on? What?...... there's NO WIND 10 miles north or south of the freeway?? Give me a BREAK!!!! :roll: :roll:

"Come to Palm Valley and see.....windmills!" What a GREAT advertising slogan! :roll:

In the last 20 years, the biggest threat to our cities and farmlands has been FLOODING...... that means lots of rain.... and rivers out of their banks into flood plains! A few well placed dams would make better use of our "lowlands" and supply the CLEANEST form of energy on the planet.... HYDROELECTRIC power!

But, will we harness this renewable and constant form of power? NO! Because it would displace a few thousand land owners! the SAME landowners who wouldn't allow a refinery or a nuclear plant "in their backyard!"

Funny thing is..... about 60% of ALL land in America is owned by the government, and administered by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) but somehow is UNAVAILABLE for nuclear plants, refineries or dams! :roll:

This is YOUR land.... you pay taxes for it! But, you won't force your representatives to USE it for your benefit! You'd rather pay through the nose for energy produced at windfall profits from oil purchased from the countries that support the terrorists you have been taught to fear!

All the while, accepting "feel good" measures by the government to "explore" alternative energy sources like WIND, at the cost of the landscape of what USED to be one of the most beautiful countries in the World!

The "amber waves of grain" and the "purple mountain majesty" are disappearing faster than we can send jobs overseas..... and we remain silent!

As a country, we can't provide our troops DYING in Iraq with proper body armor or armored vehicles ON SCHEDULE, but we can erect a windmill eyesore in a few weeks! :shock: :roll:

WE continue to hold prejudices against a black woman whose husband is running for president, because she said she has never been "proud" of her country in her adult life, even though she grew UP in a society with "white only" drinking fountains, yet we do nothing about an energy policy that bankrupts the lower classes for the benefit of the rich.

Well... "I" grew up in such a prejudiced society, and "I" am ashamed of my country! But, NOT so much because of its prejudices, but because of its STUPIDITY!

I don't "abide" ignorance well.... and this country is FULL of it! And we seem to "reproduce" it faster than we can produce the energy needed to support it! And those of you who don't agree with me, can "fire up" your mega consumung pickup trucks and SUV's and go to your local polling establishments and VOTE for MORE of the SAME!

And then put your name on one of the thousands of windmills I see every day! Because YOU are the CAUSE of these eyesores!

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.
Old 05-19-2008, 02:23 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Then I must have only been able to count the big ones. A couple of them, it was pretty easy to see what they were, so I ended up counting the shadows.

Of course, there's not telling how old that satellite image is, either. Could be a lot more since the last posted sat image.

Old 05-20-2008, 02:34 AM
Senior Board Member

We were just looking a the satelite images of the port in Baltimore today trying to count the cars that came off the ships. I think it was Baltimore. There are a crap load.