User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2008, 08:40 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Odd question

I have an odd question for y'alls. I got to thinking about this last night, as you all know I'm thinking about selling my pick up truck and buying a diesel pick up. Well instead of a diesel pick up I was wondering if I could buy a class 8 tractor and register it as a personal vehicle or recreation vehicle? I figure I'd make about $1500 a month if I get the job and I was thinking about living out the truck instead of at home. Seriously though it's just an idea and I'm always thinking of some crazy ideas! :lol: Atleast I'm using my mind for something good instead of evil. 8) :P
Old 04-23-2008, 08:57 PM

I am not sure on this one, but down the road from my mothers house there is a Truck sitting on the side of a neighbors house that is labeled "for personal use" or something of that effect. He has a 48 dry van that he made into a camper. But other than that I have no idea.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:11 PM
Senior Board Member

from illinois dmv
Quote:
A recreational vehicle is defined as "Every camping trailer, motor home, mini-motor home, travel trailer, truck camper or van camper used primarily for recreational purposes and not used commercially nor owned by a commercial business" (625 ILCS 5/1-169). A motor home, mini-motor home, or van camper displaying Recreational Vehicle (RV) license plates must contain at least four of the following six equipment items: 1) a cooking facility with an on-board fuel source; 2) a gas or electric refrigerator; 3) a toilet with exterior evacuation; 4) a heating or air conditioning system with an on-board power or fuel source separate from the vehicle engine; 5) a drinkable water supply system that includes at least a sink, a faucet, and a water tank with a an exterior service supply connection; 6) a 110-15 volt electric power supply. If a van does not meet the RV equipment requirements, the applicant should purchase either passenger or B-truck license plates, depending on the design and use of the vehicle (625 ILCS 5/1-145.01).
that would seem to disqualify your idea the way i read it.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:15 PM
Senior Board Member

Maybe I'm thinking wrong or way too much but I figure it would be cheaper to fill up two 150 tanks than a 30 gallon since I'm only gonna be running a lil over 200 miles a week. I was thinking about getting one with a sleeper so I can live in it instead of living with mom or finding a place to rent and just have a home on wheels. Sure would beat paying rent along with utilities.
Old 04-23-2008, 09:46 PM
Senior Board Member

oh you can do it, just you won't be able to get cheaper plates for it. you'll save money come tax time though. :wink:
Old 04-23-2008, 10:37 PM
Senior Board Member

All I'd have to do is just put for personal use on it and with it being registered as commerical vehicle would I still have to get ifta stickers and just a basic bobtail insurance along with th $700,000 coverage or was it $1 million. I figure it would be cheaper in the long run in my opinion.
Old 04-23-2008, 10:38 PM
BANNED
Default Re: Odd question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L
I have an odd question for y'alls. I got to thinking about this last night, as you all know I'm thinking about selling my pick up truck and buying a diesel pick up. Well instead of a diesel pick up I was wondering if I could buy a class 8 tractor and register it as a personal vehicle or recreation vehicle? I figure I'd make about $1500 a month if I get the job and I was thinking about living out the truck instead of at home. Seriously though it's just an idea and I'm always thinking of some crazy ideas! :lol: Atleast I'm using my mind for something good instead of evil. 8) :P
I hope your " future " employer gives you a drug test.....

another silly fantasy post from a teenager....
Old 04-23-2008, 10:41 PM
Senior Board Member

I didn't say I was going to do this now, I planned on waiting until tax time and have a cushion of money. I may be a teenager but I'm not a stupid or dumb one! :roll: :wink:
Old 04-23-2008, 11:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
class 8 tractor and register it as a personal vehicle or recreation vehicle?
You could probably register it as a RV, but you would not be able to use it in any sort of commercial venture. (haul cargo of any kind with it)

If you could and did register it as an RV then no, you would not need to have it registered with IFTA, file fuel taxes, pay heavy use tax, etc.
Old 04-24-2008, 12:20 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Odd question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double L
Well instead of a diesel pick up I was wondering if I could buy a class 8 tractor and register it as a personal vehicle or recreation vehicle?
I also am prone to flights of fancy with my imagination at times. Is it possible? Sure! You would likely not need "bobtail insurance" but just regular average RV insurance and that would be alot cheaper. I believe you have to do some stuff to it to make it an RV, check your state DMV site for a definition of RV. You might have to throw a sink in it or a stove or something to prove it is an RV.

Should you do it? NO! Absolutely not. I'd suggest you go and buy yourself a nice brand new Honda Civic. I picked one up a year ago, 17,000 bucks. It has every option you can imagine and gets 40mpg as an added bonus and will likely last me a very long time. Fuel ain't going anywhere but up, might as well plan ahead.

If you decide to ignore my advice and get the Class 8 RV anyways I will personally drive out there and wave my finger in your face and shout profanities. :lol: