User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-11-2008, 12:25 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default First accident. Not my Fault

I currently have a little over 500,000 miles under my belt no accidents, no moving violations and so on. I was very proud of this. But alas on Sunday in Los Angelas a man and his wife decided they wanted to try and drive their Eclipse under my truck.

Was westbound I10 in East LA going to deliver, in the 2nd lane minding my business, just checked all mirrors, good to go, when bam, looked in drivers mirror and see blue eclipse spinning out towards center divider and blue smoke everywhere. After checking all mirrors and throwing on the flashers and turn signal went for the shoulder. Stopped and he had hit me in the fuel tank and battery box. Dented both fairly bad, thank god no leaks, so was still driveable. I called 911 and the other driver came over and told me he was sorry he lost control. But when the trooper showed up he stated we just touched. The trooper was real good, he knew what happened by the damage on the car and my truck, and went back to talk to the other driver. Trooper told him a witness called in and described the accident. That is when he admitted fault. So I am at least off the hook. It is stated in the accident report who caused it.

Oh yeah one more thing, the truck he hit was a new 2008 Pete 388 with only 20000 miles on it. I guess I need to go back to driving older equipment again. This was the first brand new truck I have driven.
Old 04-11-2008, 02:06 AM
Senior Board Member

yikes; glad nobody hurt.

My husband had his first accident a couple weeks ago; a car started spinning in front of the truck that was in front of hubby; 1st truck hit the brakes, hubby tried not to, but the trailer started coming around (he had 3 cars alongside him) so he tried to go for the shoulder/straighten out and still clipped the truck in front of him. The dude in the car never stopped- he left; the trooper put the blame on my husband saying he was following too close, even though the other driver stuck up for him and said he wasnt 'too close'. Then today he calls to tell me that as he was driving up a ramp, a car came flying down at him, going the wrong way obviously; he had to stop as the dude went flying by him.
Old 04-12-2008, 12:31 AM
Board Regular

If your husband didn't have time to stop properly then he was driving too close. I agree with the trooper. A tractor-trailer combo should be at least 6 seconds behind the next vehicle. You may say people will just cut into that space and they might however in a situation like this your husband would not have been involved directly in this accident. We all live and learn though so let this be a good learning experience.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyykatt
yikes; glad nobody hurt.

My husband had his first accident a couple weeks ago; a car started spinning in front of the truck that was in front of hubby; 1st truck hit the brakes, hubby tried not to, but the trailer started coming around (he had 3 cars alongside him) so he tried to go for the shoulder/straighten out and still clipped the truck in front of him. The dude in the car never stopped- he left; the trooper put the blame on my husband saying he was following too close, even though the other driver stuck up for him and said he wasnt 'too close'. Then today he calls to tell me that as he was driving up a ramp, a car came flying down at him, going the wrong way obviously; he had to stop as the dude went flying by him.
Old 04-21-2008, 02:48 AM
Board Regular
Default First accident. Not my Fault

Retirednavysnipe,
I read you comments & the police POV & it sounds like it will be considerd a non-prevenable accident, which in this cause there should'nt be any comments on Ur Drivers abstract. & if there is it would state that it was non-preventable.Due to drivers admission & Police report. Hope that helps 8) :!:

Quote:
Smart Like Einstein Rich Like Donald Trump 8) :idea:
Old 04-21-2008, 06:12 AM
Senior Board Member

If at all possible you need to obtain and keep a copy of the police report for your own records. Also you will need to be sure to list this on any future applications to trucking companies that you submit.

From your description it should not effect your employment chances anywhere in the future so long as you do not "forget" to list it.