User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2008, 05:18 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default New Forum Member

Howdy!

Thought I'd introduce myself here, I'm Dave. The name says DaveFromColorado, but I'm actually located in MN (southwest of Minneapolis, in the metro area)

I just got my class A a couple weeks ago, but that's it, just the class A - no real instruction. I'm planning on going to school for Heavy Equipment Mechanics Technology, starting in the fall of '09. I've been an auto mechanic for years, but I'm getting tired of the same garbage coming in for water pumps, intake gaskets, and ball joints. It's low pay, unappreciated work. if I'm gonna be unappreciated, I'd rather be earning better money doing it.

Since learning that school for me wouldn't start until '09, I've decided that I'm going to get the "full instruction" for truck driver training, so I'll have a full skill set, and maybe even some road time, so when I do go to school for mechanics, I'll have a leg-up over the other students. I've talked to LOTS of people, and have found that most new mechanics have no OTR, or real driving experience - I'm looking to give myself an advantage over the other mechanics.

I've been reading the forum for about a week here, and I've found that most people here don't seem to like the dump trucking companies, however, I was hoping to get in with one of these. For a few reasons. First, most dump trucks run locally. Secondly, dump trucks seem to break down way more often. (Driver? Underpowered for the loads, or maybe the severe abuse those things are driven under) So why would I want to drive something known to break down ... I also know that most dump companies like to keep repairs in-house, if I get in with a good company, and express my goals of wanting to go to school, they might (just maybe) allow me to learn some of the basics of working on these things, and driving a machine with a higher than average failure rate will certainly allow me access to one (or more) broken down machine to help work on, and learn on.

Anyhow, there's my li'l life story.

Drive Safe!

--Dave.
Old 02-25-2008, 06:25 PM
Board Regular

when I did dumps....our breakdowns happened because we ran hard....and the company was cheap :roll: . I crack on dump companies because Fredog supports em so much (hes not such a bad guy from MHO) and I enjoy teasing dumpers, but they are a good bunch of guys. Good luck with your schooling and career choice.

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 02-26-2008, 02:05 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phantom433a
when I did dumps....our breakdowns happened because we ran hard....and the company was cheap :roll: . I crack on dump companies because Fredog supports em so much (hes not such a bad guy from MHO) and I enjoy teasing dumpers, but they are a good bunch of guys. Good luck with your schooling and career choice.

And all along I thought you guys picked on the dump drivers because of the "size" thing... :wink: :wink: :wink:

Welcome Dave and much luck in your endeavors. You will find a ton of info here, some very useful, some not, and some very amusing. 8)

Reb

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln