User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2008, 01:48 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Convicts wanting a driving job......

Over the time I have been here on this board, several convicted persons have come here to ask about a second chance. Or third. Or more.

I'm just curious about what makes being a truck driver so appealing to convicts. The convictions themselves spread the range of the law, from drugs, to stealing just about everything, to assault, and even murder.

They come asking for advise, then wonder why some have a negative view towards them. Now, of course, some of the "mistakes" of the past makes it hard for them to retain work. Well, it should. Your "mistakes" should cause you problems that those of us "law biding citizens" don't have. Hey, that's the way it is.....you decided to break the law of the land.
    If your answer is anything but "no" to all of these questions above, you got to rethink your place in this world.

By committing your crime, you put yourself where you are...now you get to live with it.

Now some convicts have done very well, despite the "mistakes" of their past. But I believe they worked hard to get there.

And you should, too. Don't expect others not convicted of felonies to cut you a break.

And don't cry here when we don't. :wink:

Deja moo. It's when you feel you have heard this BS before.
    '

Old 01-19-2008, 02:47 PM
    Senior Board Member

Maybe because of things like this...

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...e.3302abf.html

(Here's the article for those of you who can't open the link...)
    License a blessing for some

Ex-con says prison program gave him sense of worth, made him productive citizen

08:23 AM CST on Sunday, December 10, 2006
    By HOLLY BECKA and GREGG JONES / The Dallas Morning News

Jeff Ramsey earned his commercial driver's license through the Texas prison truck-driving program while serving a seven-year sentence for aggravated robbery. Paroled in 2005, he now drives a big rig for a Dallas-area moving company.

Mr. Ramsey says truck driving has been a "godsend," and he counts the commercial driver's license he earned in prison as one of his proudest accomplishments.

"When I got my CDL – I really haven't felt like I've accomplished much in my life, and it still almost brings me to tears because I really felt like I was worth something when I got that," he said. "When I walked out of prison, I had something to show for it instead of maybe a tattoo or something like that."

Mr. Ramsey, 33, said drugs and alcohol put him on the path to prison. Behind bars, he was looking for a way to get his life on track when he signed up for the prison's popular truck-driving school.

The list to get in the program "is so long, sometimes it's three and four years before your name can get pulled up on that," Mr. Ramsey said. "So with a lot of prayer and some patience, I put my name on that list, and lo and behold, I got called up for it."

Four days a week for six months, Mr. Ramsey and his classmates at the Wynne Unit spent five to six hours a day learning how to drive a big truck, he said. They studied mechanics, map-reading and road safety. Former state troopers teaching the class also served as mentors, he added.

The inmate students learned how to shift gears, back up and maneuver the big rig in the prison's gated parking lot. With those skills mastered, they were allowed to take spins around the prison's perimeter road.

Finally, "after the instructor felt like we were ready, we'd actually get on the highway and start training," Mr. Ramsey said.

Mr. Ramsey was still completing his sentence when he earned his commercial driver's license in 2004. In his final months behind bars, he drove a truck for the Texas prison system, delivering produce and other goods to units around the state as a guard followed in a separate vehicle.

Mr. Ramsey said his work as a truck driver since leaving prison has enabled him to become a productive citizen. His record is clean: no accidents or tickets as a commercial truck driver, according to state records.

He lives in Dallas with his wife. He takes pride in his professionalism, and he's devoted to the moving company that hired him when he was released from prison.

"I'm going to bust my tail for these people because they've given me a chance," Mr. Ramsey said, declining to name his employer.

He bristles at the suggestion that convicted felons shouldn't drive big rigs.

"If they're still doing alcohol or drugs, then they have no business behind the wheel of an 18-wheeler," he said. "But just as a convicted felon, clean and sober, I think I do. I think what I'm doing is good. I'm paying my taxes; I'm doing everything I'm supposed to be doing."

That some should be rich, shows that others may become rich, and, hence, is just encouragement to industry and enterprise.
    Abraham Lincoln

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." -Abraham Lincoln
    Old 01-19-2008, 03:47 PM
    Senior Board Member

Nice Cluggy,

For some reason when I read this post all I could hear was Queen,

Another one Bites the Dust.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNQRfBAzSzo .

I should point out that I do believe in second chances and hope that people make the the best of them and learn their lesson after that. I think I am just hearing queen today. :P
    Old 01-19-2008, 04:39 PM
    Board Icon
    Tagged: 1 Thread(s)

There are undoubtedly criminally minded people who prove their path with repeated offenses. These people deserve the discrimination, and show no signs, outside of lip service, that rehabilitation is even hopeful. Yet, there are many who are caught up in the system who can turn their life around, and I feel we should offer these people a chance.

Anyone can make mistakes, and rough lives can put you in a bad situation. Many of the so-called “law abiding” commit crimes all the time, and just have not been caught. Fact is, we all commit crimes, or at the very least, we all have it in us to find ourselves on the wrong side of the law, with given circumstances.

Big crimes are usually crimes of passion, or committed by unstable/despondent people, or done by plain outright wicked and evil criminally-minded. But…small crimes are also destructive to society. Have you ever driven 15-20 mph over the speed limit? Ask any EMT how picking up the pieces of shattered lives this simple little crime can cause. We could list volumes of how small crimes can evolve or even be a link in the chain to much larger crimes.

Anyone who gets the felony tail, serves their time, but faces a lifelong label. They have to work hard to find their way in society. Maybe that is exactly what is best for them. If they face the challenge, they can become better people than some of the so-called law-abiding folks. They cannot afford any mistakes, or the “revolving door” will get them. The State brands its felons and considers them State property, and keeps tabs on their herd. They want you back in the corral area. You only get free range, long as you fight hard for successful rights to roam free. If someone goes 7-10 years free, they should be offered a fair chance to be a part of a normal society.

I also get tired of the self-pity felons who come here with excuses and bad attitudes of how life treats them. These people do not feel they deserve the bed they’ve made for themselves. It’s a lack of character, to not be able to accept responsibility for their actions. Mistakes are one thing, but if your mistakes brought you to Court and the judicial system convicts you, Justice is served. Time now to stop the innocent me and oh poor me crap. These types want sympathy, and most refuse any hard work or character necessary to better their lives. They are just another crime waiting to be caught, and have the excuses already polished and ready for that.

What some of these babies need to understand is there are many people who have life much harder, with no criminal history. We all for that matter have to work hard in life to achieve our hopes and dreams, and at times have people find faults in us. I have no respect for a felon who whines and cries like a baby, and they get little support from me, once I find that is their thing. On the other hand, and to end on a bright note.. I believe in offering paths to rehabilitation, and providing ways for people to right their wrongs and build their lives up strong.

Old 01-19-2008, 07:03 PM
    Silly Goose
    Senior Board Member

Just to chime in, we, as citizens trust one another to keep the law. When someone breaks the law, our trust in them is broken. Once that trust is broken it is very hard to get back, if ever.

A small example is if we are lied to by our spouses or friends. Do we find it in our heart to forgive them? and do we trust them again or will there always be a small linger doubt there?

To those who are trying to turn their life around, I commend you.
    Old 01-19-2008, 08:53 PM
    Board Icon

One thing to point out as well; our judicial system does make allowances for the person who gets caught up in a mistake. First time offenders almost always get probation, or in more serious offenses, probation with sentence suspended upon successful completion of the probation period.
    Then they can have their record expunged from public files. Their case is only made open to law enforcement and the courts.

If you have a felon tag that has stuck, you probably continued to act like a criminal...and look for others to blame in your own mind. Sooner or later, society expects you to make some tough choices. Straighten up, or be a real tough guy and go back to prison.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:14 AM
    Rookie

I agree wholeheartedly! I mean this profession already has a bad enough name with the general public. Do we need to be a haven for criminals too?
    Old 02-05-2008, 07:24 AM
    Default Glass houses.

Johnny Cash sang a song written by Chris Kristofferson it is on his American recordings cd and one of the lines in the song is “I thank you lord that you’ve made my freedom so complete that I’m no slave to whistle wall or street”. The open road can be a prison if you are not in touch with yourself. Some go to the big house and gain a new prospective and a new philosophy. One thing for sure you will learn patience if you are in jail for a streatch.
    I can see many similarities in transportation OTR and prison in that both are confining yet serving and untraditional when compared to the lifestyles of the average American. Both are away from those that they love; both are loathed, both are lied to all the time and face many disappointments and all too often are misunderstood. Ever think the reason a lot of fools go back to prison is they could not earn enough to pay the bills transportation provides a place to live and good pay compared to local jobs. I have a good record no felonies I am lucky not getting caught at the things I did and I have been framed for things I didn’t do.
    An idle mind is the devils workshop and that might be why the former criminal now wants to work here to be occupied all the time because this job is a full time occupation.
    My ex wife use to say only poor people and fools go to jail. That is so true I have seen people do things get caught that would land a poor fool in the slammer for life yet they walked because of influence and a good attorney.
    I have to pay taxes again this year and one less fool in jail is better off for all of us he is earning a wage that is far better than costing thousands a year just to house feed and medicate him.
    I’m glad to see there are those out there that have never made a mistake reality is many of you have never been caught. A friend of ours is a cpa but she has a record for felony theft they were under age on a beer run and someone forgot to pay cause it was illegal to buy alcohol let alone drink. Imagine having to explain that all your life as a professional.
    Old 02-05-2008, 03:48 PM
    Rookie

Everyone has skeletons in their closet. Is it fair to judge everyone as a bad person because they went to jail?...I don't think so. People make mistakes.I do belive that there are some really evil people around,and I think each case would have to be looked at before considering them for a CDL. I don't want evil people out here anymore than the next person,but to assume that one bad apple spoils the bunch isn't right...
    Old 02-05-2008, 04:10 PM
    Senior Board Member

Unless you live in California...we have this 3 strike law rule. It's Physcotic. almost anyone can get a 3 strikes, after that it's 25 to life. Think Twice before stealing that candy bar!!! lol.