User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2007, 04:55 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Pass on the Information

November 30, 2007 PrintSaveE-mailSize: +/–Washington truckers win overtime case Truckers who are based in the state of Washington have won a major court victory on overtime pay.

The Columbian newspaper reported that a state Supreme Court ruling was upheld on Monday, Nov. 26, when the U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear an appeal in the case.

The state court ruled earlier that truckers who log more than 40 hours a week are entitled to overtime pay. The decision opens the possibility that other drivers could file similar suits and force trucking companies to re-examine driver compensation.

The court awarded nearly $10,000 in unpaid overtime to trucker Larie Bostain of Vancouver, who had filed suit against his former employer, Food Express Inc. of Arcadia, CA.

“I would speculate that there will be a number of Washington-based carriers right now saying ‘Oh (insert your own four-letter word here),’ ” said OOIDA Executive Vice President Todd Spencer.

Despite the reality that many companies may not be too thrilled at this point, Spencer speculated that this court decision will likely have a silver lining in terms of its overall impact on trucking.

“For the more than two and a half decades that we’ve been involved in deregulation we keep seeing a significant degradation placed on the value of a driver’s time,” Spencer said. “Their time has always had a tremendous value, but because it has not been recognized as such by trucking companies, shippers and receivers, the work week for the driver has constantly been extended.”

Spencer said the hours-of-service regulations are intended to be the maximum permissible hours worked. But what has happened is that those limits have evolved to be the industry norm.

“The result is that a driver’s time ceases to have value, and the occupation becomes one that many people see as not a valuable occupation,” Spencer said. “That’s why we have this tremendous driver turnover and retention problem.”

Spencer pointed to ongoing issues with drivers’ abilities to comply with HOS regs and enforcement across the board.

“Trucking has evolved into likely the most inefficient industry in America in terms of utilization of human driver resources. ... This decision (in Washington) might encourage more efficient utilization of drivers’ time,” Spencer said.

“It will be a win-win for everyone – drivers and the companies they work for.”

By Land Line staff :twisted:
Old 12-01-2007, 05:05 PM
Senior Board Member

They didn't say if those drivers are paid hourly or by the mile/percentage. It'd be nice to get paid for the 30+ hours overtime we put in week after week.
Old 12-01-2007, 05:45 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

the best news in trucking in ten years...

Train more drivers. Train youself out of a job.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:35 PM
Senior Board Member

It will be very surprising if this decision is not appealed to the federal level. For the most part truck drivers are exempt from federal wage and overtime laws. :cry:
Old 12-01-2007, 10:49 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I can understand this if the driver is paid by the hours. I doubt if it will fly if a drive is paid mileage. On mileage the driver is paid on performance. I don't see how this will work on mileage.
Old 12-01-2007, 11:31 PM
Senior Board Member

all my truckin jobs ALWAYS paid OT after 40. Expect for VENEZIA thats one of the reason i left after 3 weeks.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 12-02-2007, 03:42 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
It will be very surprising if this decision is not appealed to the federal level. For the most part truck drivers are exempt from federal wage and overtime laws. :cry:
According to the OP the U.S. Supreme Court refused to hear an appeal.
Old 12-02-2007, 12:27 PM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

[quote="Colts Fan"]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Is trucking going to be a real job some day? Should we be treated as normal in the eyes of society? Are we someday going to be paid for all hours of our work. According to one magazine, if companies continue to put in more electronic devices for driver compliance, this may back fire in the companies faces and may be forced to pay drivers by the hour.
Old 12-02-2007, 01:35 PM
Senior Board Member

The text of the Washington law was clearly written to apply to local drivers, not leaving the state of Washington. The plaintiff in that case drove over 60% of his miles outside Washington. That state court is clearly legislating from the bench (by a hearty 5-4 margin as well). What they feel like the law should be is irrelevant. There is an explicit law on the books and these people are not legislators. Explain to me how the following passage leaves any room for interpretation:
Quote:
WAC 296-128-012 Overtime for truck and bus drivers. (1)(a) The compensation system under which a truck or bus driver subject to the provisions of the Federal Motor Carrier Act is paid shall include overtime pay at least reasonably equivalent to that required by RCW 49.46.130 for working within the state of Washington in excess of forty hours a week. To meet this requirement, an employer may, with notice to a truck or bus driver subject to the provisions of the Federal Motor Carrier Act, establish a rate of pay that is not on an hourly basis and that includes in the rate of pay compensation for overtime. An employer shall substantiate any deviation from payment on an hourly basis to the satisfaction of the department by using the following formula or an alternative formula that, at a minimum, compensates hours worked within the state of Washington in excess of forty hours per week at an overtime rate of pay and distributes the projected overtime pay over the average number of hours projected to be worked.
As mentioned before, long haul drivers are intentionally left out of overtime laws and this was clearly the case in Washington as well. Further to that, trucking companies had operated under guidance from the state department in charge of their industry (title escapes me at the moment). That department had consistently advised companies that, like the law says, hours worked within Washington were the only ones subject to the rule.

On the woulda, coulda, shoulda part... I'm not naive enough to think that we would suddenly see a huge spike in pay if overtime were mandated. Our pay, largely falling in the $40-60,000 range, is a budgeted cost of doing business. Companies, when their hands are forced, don't just suddenly become benevolent donors and decide to operate at a loss. They would either (a) cut the base wage in order to make the pay come out roughly equal after overtime was added in, (b) limit us to 40 hours, effectively cutting our wages, and hire more people or farm out more work to railroads (c) give us the raise and then pass on 100% of the added costs to the end consumer, crippling our economy and saying "the feds made us do it", or (d) some combination of the above.

(The preceding statement has not been evaluated by the FCC.)
Old 12-02-2007, 01:55 PM
Senior Board Member

uturn, that is true but apparently state's wage and hour laws can supersede federal law. i'm sure that's what food express thought when they told the driver that he wasn't going to get overtime.
Quote:
The Secretary/Treasurer is Joanna Keeney. She started working for the company as a part time job in 1983. For the first few years the main office was at home and she was the only office employee. When we moved the office out of the house in 1989 her part time job was up to about 72 hours per week. She now is responsible for all office operations in Arcadia including accounts payable, accounts receivable, health insurance and payroll.
maybe she wasn't aware of the law, afterall she is overworked! :wink:

a reference to that is here, the bottom of page 3, top of page 4

note on page 5 that washington state allows for double penalties, maybe that was why the award was so high.

gman,
i found an article relating to a case between a bakery and their driver/route salesmen that awarded overtime to them even though they weren't paid hourly but at a percentage. sadly now i can't find the damned thing. :roll: it does illustrate that overtime can be calculated without an hourly wage. i'll keep looking for it. ops: