User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-12-2007, 03:11 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Pull a gooseneck trailer

In about a year I will need to pull a gooseneck trailer, 14,000 lb GVW, in my private business and use. I wanted to get a straight truck with sleeper which would add about 2k to insurance but found I need the loading ramp on a gooseneck trailer. The Freightliner Sport Chassis looks like the ideal truck for my situation but I can not handle the price. I won't be using it everyday but maybe 1000 mile trip per month. It occurred to me that I could purchase a used, simple, older model, high mileage single axle semi truck in reasonable condition at a reasonable price, far less than a sport chassis. Do you think this makes sense, and what kind of problems do you think I would run into? Would it make a difference in regards to DOT whether I use a Class 6, or 7 or Class 8 semi truck? Do you think insurance on this set up be much different than with a straight truck?

Thanks