User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2007, 01:10 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default State funded driver training

OK, I finished driver school last week and am just waiting for orientation to start. I went to a community college and paid for the entire thing myself. (not a huge financial burden, but still a lot for being out of work for 6 weeks.)
There were 11 students in the class and in addition to myself I know for sure that one other student paid out of pocket for the training.

Of the remaining 9, one who was being funded by WIA was a guy in his mid-late 40's who got laid off from the only job he ever had in his life. He went to work for that company part time in high school and full time after HS and was laid off 20 something years later. Very good use of WIA money, that is exactly why that program is around.

That leaves 8 students, most of whom I believe were WIA funded, receiving unemployment or welfare, Pell grants or some other free money mechanism.

Of these 8 newly qualified CDL holders I think 1 has a pre hire. He did very well in school and presents a neat appearance. He WILL NOT remain employed for any length of time in my opinion. He was absent or tardy 7 times in 6 weeks in total violation of the school absentee policy. I am not sure why he was not expelled.

Seven remaining. These incude:

2 convicted felons, 1 a distribution of cocaine charge, the other I think involved a weapon and is still on parole.

1 misdemeanor concealed handgun charge. (How is that a misdemeanor?) This guy is funny, he got a bunch of prehires that were all taken back after his records check and he don't think that's fair.

2 with multiple or recent DUI/DWI convictions.

1 with 2 reckless in the past 3 years.

And finally, 1 weird little dude who will probably drive the wheels off someones truck and make over 3000 miles per week and not care that he doesn't remember where his house is.

The main point of all this rambling is: WHY ARE PEOPLE WHO CAN NOT GET A JOB DRIVING A TRUCK GETTING FREE TUITION AND LIVING EXPENSE MONEY?
Old 10-28-2007, 02:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Government beurocracy at its finest.

Pretty much what happened is the government did not do any kind of background check before issuing the money for the course.

Some of these people though may end up driving local hauling garbage and a few will probably land jobs making $30/hr working for some construction outfit. Jobs most of us would kill for and would stick with for years and years but these morons will most likely blow it within a few months.
Old 10-28-2007, 02:25 PM
Board Regular

The State labor dept does not qualify them for a CDL, that is the job of the DOT., RMV., or the DMV. Granted there are some like that. I am not saying they will turn thier live around if givin the chance.
On a side not why does migrant workers that never pay unemployment INS. get funding to stay? Why not give them a ticket home? I saw that when I was in the Unemployment office the sign siad ""If you are a migrant worker you don't nesisary have to pay Unemployment to qualify for funding"" Yes it was also in spanish! :roll:
Old 10-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Government beurocracy at its finest.

Pretty much what happened is the government did not do any kind of background check before issuing the money for the course.

Some of these people though may end up driving local hauling garbage and a few will probably land jobs making $30/hr working for some construction outfit. Jobs most of us would kill for and would stick with for years and years but these morons will most likely blow it within a few months.
Won't make $30/hour here. Very economically depressed area. Unemployment rate in county is 6%, twice the state average. Dump truck drivers are lucky to get $12-15 and won't come close to a 40 hour week.
Old 10-28-2007, 05:48 PM
Rookie
Default Re: State funded driver training

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B
The main point of all this rambling is: WHY ARE PEOPLE WHO CAN NOT GET A JOB DRIVING A TRUCK GETTING FREE TUITION AND LIVING EXPENSE MONEY?
I suppose you would rather have them living off welfare than trying to make their lives better by going to school and possibley doing something good with their lives....

I also suppose that you dont have any skeletons in your closet. Whether or not they have certain problems with their driving record or criminal record is basicely not for you to judge. If they can't get a job because of their records, than its up to the school to help direct them into an occupation that best suits them.

Your problem is that these guys,because of their backgrounds, shouldnt get funded by the state. Than what should they do??? What is you suggestion?? Stay unemployed??? Stay on welfare?? I guess in your "judgement" these men are burdens to society and should be put out or their misery??? rather than try to better their lives and the lives of their families.
Remember Jesus said on the sermon on the mount "Judge not lest ye be judged" Matt.7:1

Old 10-28-2007, 06:05 PM
Board Regular
Default Re: State funded driver training

Quote:
Originally Posted by whthorse
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay B
I suppose you would rather have them living off welfare than trying to make their lives better by going to school and possibley doing something good with their lives....

I also suppose that you dont have any skeletons in your closet. Whether or not they have certain problems with their driving record or criminal record is basicely not for you to judge. If they can't get a job because of their records, than its up to the school to help direct them into an occupation that best suits them.

Your problem is that these guys,because of their backgrounds, shouldnt get funded by the state. Than what should they do??? What is you suggestion?? Stay unemployed??? Stay on welfare?? I guess in your "judgement" these men are burdens to society and should be put out or their misery??? rather than try to better their lives and the lives of their families.
Remember Jesus said on the sermon on the mount "Judge not lest ye be judged" Matt.7:1
I didn't claim to be the judge, the judge that sentenced them was the judge and the jury that convicted them was the jury. So take your hypocritical, fake, Christian only when it suits you crap and stuff it.

What they should do is go to a job training program where they CAN GET A JOB when finished. Like hamburger college.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:28 PM
Rookie

You are a judgemental ASS...

Yes you did judge these people just by their backgrounds and you also have judged me. Who the hell do you think you are? I sure hope that when you go to your 1st interview you get someone just like you who judges you with the same blindness that you judge others and denies you the job simply because of your attitute and not by your skills. I personally wouldnt hire you. As an employer, I wouldnt even let you take a road test. You are nothing more that a 2 bit steering wheel holder who doesnt have what it takes to be a REAL PROFESSIONAL TRUCK DRIVER. It doesnt take a spotless record to be a Real driver. Real drivers are good people with a lot of heart and doesnt look down on the less fortunate, but will be the 1st to help out someone in need.

YOU SIR ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO BE A REAL DRIVER!!!!!!!!
Old 10-28-2007, 06:31 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whthorse
You are a judgemental ASS...

Yes you did judge these people just by their backgrounds and you also have judged me. Who the hell do you think you are? I sure hope that when you go to your 1st interview you get someone just like you who judges you with the same blindness that you judge others and denies you the job simply because of your attitute and not by your skills. I personally wouldnt hire you. As an employer, I wouldnt even let you take a road test. You are nothing more that a 2 bit steering wheel holder who doesnt have what it takes to be a REAL PROFESSIONAL TRUCK DRIVER. It doesnt take a spotless record to be a Real driver. Real drivers are good people with a lot of heart and doesnt look down on the less fortunate, but will be the 1st to help out someone in need.

YOU SIR ARE NOT GOOD ENOUGH TO BE A REAL DRIVER!!!!!!!!
Wow, you really need to move out of Happy Valley.

Hey moderator, he swore at me can I get a ruling here?
Old 10-28-2007, 06:32 PM
Senior Board Member

Let's get this thread back on topic and stop the pi$$ing match ASAP.
Old 10-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Now I will add my $.02

At the CDL school I teach at we get WIA students as well as private pay and trucking co. students. I would have to say that 90% of the WIA students could not get hired on with any trucking company because fo their driving history and/or crminal background. We cannot refuse to take them as we are a state licensed school. About 20% of them are only there because they can still draw a check as long as they are attending school. The bad thing is that the people that send these students have NO screening process.

That is MHO,

Ridge