User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-16-2007, 01:01 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default "RexRambler The Return"

I'm not certain, if I really want to do this, but here goes anyway. I am considering returning to trucking. I have held my CDL since 1991. I have a long enough history in trucking to say it has been a career.
Do to situations beyond my control, I find I need to return to trucking. So with that being said, I have a question.

Is there a company out here in "Trucker's Land" which gives consideration and accommodation to a person who has an extensive background in trucking, yet, has not been active in the last 2-4 years?

I have submitted my online application here at CAD, and was quite impressed with the speedy responses, however I also take into account the need to acquire warm bodies behind the wheel, so I really don't allow the flood of offers to flatter me all that much. (wink)

I hold a certain amount of trepidation in returning to trucking, yet I am surprised to discover that as well I feel excited. I do dread the grueling process of pre-employment screening, and the Q&A sessions. As of now, I have spoken with perhaps 5 different companies whom I personally found their recruiters to be inadequate in their reproach.

The standard approach to the applicant / trucking company seems to be give work history and then set a date for orientation. Yet it seems as if my recent history may be a point of contention.

For the last few years I have been attending college, and working on my personal music. I run a modest recording studio, and dare call it my personal business.

Thus I do not have W-2 forms, and such. I have transcripts from the school I attended. I have a membership or association with BMI and Songwriters Guild Association membership, and a an official website from which I publish my music from. I have sustained myself through my songwriting and performances and the occasional recording sessions of various independent artists. I also have my certifications for substitute teaching, and that's pretty much it.

So far the companies who have responded to my application, seemingly dismiss this, and focus on my proving unemployment, and the fact I do not have recent driving experience. Very frustrating to say the least.
Old 10-16-2007, 03:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Nevermind
Old 10-16-2007, 08:47 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
Nevermind
Agree 100%!!

You son is in our prayers & meditations, Fozzy!!
Old 10-17-2007, 12:46 AM
Senior Board Member

He's in Kuwait right now "acclimating".. for a couple of weeks. Then its off to the big show,,
Old 10-21-2007, 02:15 AM
Board Icon

Jeez..... talk about hijacking a thread! :roll:

I don't have much to tell you, Rex, that you don't allready know. But, with your experience, (which I assume was COMPANY,) I'd look into SMALLER companies that will put you OTR with only a minimum amount of "retraining."

OR, I'd ask one of them to help you LEASE/buy a truck and have a bit more freedom.

BOTH of these options have been afforded drivers who applied to MY "small" company.

You are probably wasting your time asking questions on this board. You need to be asking questions, face to face, with non "mega carriers" in your area!

I'm sure YOU are concerned about Fozzy's son, as I am. But, somehow, I don't think that was your question.

TRUCKIN' AIN'T FOR WUSSES!!!

"I am willing to admit that I was wrong." The Rev.