User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2007, 10:58 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default My last day at Con-way Freight

Hey all, Today, Sept 25, was my last day at Conway, I told my boss i quit.

Now, the reason i quit was because i am going to continue my education, i am only 22 so its not to late to go back.

I love driving truck, and got a city position at a local small LTL co. that gives me a 7:30 start, so i can go to school at night.
Now, i tried to get this with Conway, but we all know its like pushing a boulder, it just don't work. They couldn't give me a start time in the city, But they could force me on linehaul.

But i am really excited, i have always loved school and feel i can make a difference when i am done. I feel its better to start now, then in 5 years when i am married with children.

I worked for Conway for 10 months, and have learned alot.

But like i said the main reason was for school and because they wouldn't help me out with my schedule.

See you on the boards.

Matt
Old 09-26-2007, 03:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Did you give your notice or quit on the spot? Hopefully you gave notice as Con-Way would be a good fall back company or one to continue your transportation management career(I believe that's your major).

Old 09-26-2007, 01:06 PM

yes, i gave notice, but not 2 weeks,

but the manager was still upset..... but oh well, The current plans are for transportation degree, but that could change after the 2 years to get my general ed. done.

we'll see.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:41 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

first tip, never leave on bad terms. you should have given at least 2 weeks.
Old 09-26-2007, 05:51 PM

no post
Old 09-26-2007, 06:07 PM

damn. first you quit to continue your education, now you are disgruntled...that means angry, you will learn that in college. are you angry for an excuse to not give notice and make it easy for you to quit, or are you angry for real. i run with alot of conway drivers in the buckeye, that is ohio, you will learn that in college too...during bowl time, and they seem to be very happy.
Old 09-26-2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jedfxg
damn. first you quit to continue your education, now you are disgruntled...that means angry, you will learn that in college. are you angry for an excuse to not give notice and make it easy for you to quit, or are you angry for real. i run with alot of conway drivers in the buckeye, that is ohio, you will learn that in college too...during bowl time, and they seem to be very happy.
I always intended to continue my education, and my GOAL was to go to school part time and work at conway. But the manager wouldnt work with my schedule... so after 2 months of job searching i found a job that fit my schedule, and unfortunately did not have enough time to give a notice, but i didnt want to risk not finding a more flexible job.

I apologized to the manager for what happened, but it done and over.

Like i said, if conway was more flexible then i would be still working there. The only reason i am disgruntled is because, i had a 7:00 start time (flex board) and the manager gave me 2 day notice to tell me that i must go to night linehaul... THAT is was got me angry..

I am sure some drivers are happy there... But i want more out of my career, and i dont see it driving with conway.

And please dont put me down or refer to me as a retard, just because i am breaking away from driving, to go to school. i know what a buckeye is.

I grew up in the country, worked on a farm in high school, bought everything i have now. and am going to pay for my tuition also.
Old 09-27-2007, 08:20 PM
Board Regular

Your making a good choice Matt. I'm 22, have a CDL and I'm in my senior year of college but haven't started driving yet.It is getting harder and harder in this country anymore to find a job if you have no high school or only a high school education.College is not as bad as you think when you first start because you'll be nervous and the work will seem overwhelming but by the time your a junior you pretty much have it easy. Your right it is easier to do now than it is when you get older. No one can take away your education and no matter what you decide to do later on it is good to have that degree to fall back on. Go get the degree then get right back into the drivers seat. It will be hard starting school because you''ll still have the driving bug in your system but just tough it out and get your diploma. Good luck!
Old 09-28-2007, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungZ.W.
Your making a good choice Matt. I'm 22, have a CDL and I'm in my senior year of college but haven't started driving yet.It is getting harder and harder in this country anymore to find a job if you have no high school or only a high school education.College is not as bad as you think when you first start because you'll be nervous and the work will seem overwhelming but by the time your a junior you pretty much have it easy. Your right it is easier to do now than it is when you get older. No one can take away your education and no matter what you decide to do later on it is good to have that degree to fall back on. Go get the degree then get right back into the drivers seat. It will be hard starting school because you''ll still have the driving bug in your system but just tough it out and get your diploma. Good luck!
thanks for the advice, it feel good to know that there are others in my shoes.
Old 09-28-2007, 04:28 AM
Senior Board Member

Matt,

Go to college, have fun, live life, get laid, and screw what any "know it all" on this board has to say. You will not regret it. I certainly do not.