User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-07-2007, 02:41 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Any Guru comments about US roads NOW open to Mexican Trucks?

This should turn the whole industry upside down, as well as our roads which will be supporting fire-bomb trucks with no additional taxes.

Just like illegal aliens: all benefits go to cheap-azz Industry while the tax payers will foot the bills for roads and illegal alien benefits.

Trucking will be the last of good middle class jobs sucked out of the USA that will go to either China for marked up poor quality goods, or illegal aliens entering FL in loaded cruise ships daily.

Good job GW and Jeb Bush!

Seems to me newbies may never taste successful wages and veterans have their days numbered before they will have to accept lowered wages.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:51 AM
Board Regular
Location: Time and again after 8 hours work like another blue collar worker. Got My life back. Good bye CPM.

Your right wages will go down for truckers... thats a no brainer. But if your CEO your looking great....
Old 09-07-2007, 03:21 AM
Board Regular

LAREDO, Texas - Dozens of truckers rallied at Mexican border crossings in California and Texas Thursday to protest a pilot program to allow up to 100 Mexican trucking companies to haul their cargo anywhere in the United States.

Carrying signs reading "NAFTA Kills" and "Unsafe Mexican Trucks," a few dozen protesters circled in the heat for two hours at Laredo's port of entry on the U.S.-Mexico border.
"What do we want? Safe highways. When do we want them? Now!" they chanted.
The U.S. Transportation Department said no Mexican trucks had arrived under the program as of late Thursday afternoon. But 38 Mexican firms were poised for U.S. permits, said Melissa Mazzella DeLaney, a spokeswoman for the Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration, which regulates truck safety.
The Teamsters union, Sierra Club and watchdog group Public Citizen sued to stop the program, arguing there won't be enough oversight of drivers, but a federal appeals court ruled the Bush administration could move ahead.
Government lawyers said the program is a necessary part of the North American Free Trade Agreement and the trucks would meet U.S. regulations.
Near San Diego's Otay Mesa border crossing, dozens of truckers led by the Teamsters mixed with anti-illegal-immigration activists. Business was uninterrupted, said Lt. Hector Paredes of the California Highway Patrol, which inspects about 3,000 trucks a day at the crossing.
"We're already inspecting Mexican trucks and will continue to inspect them the same way," Paredes said. "These trucks already haul product from Tijuana to San Diego. Now they will be able to go beyond San Diego."
Critics such as Teamsters organizer Hugo Flores doubt that Mexican drivers will be held to the same rules, such as the length of work shifts and drug testing.
"There are no means to regulate these guys. Bush has opened up highways to unsafe trucks," Flores said at the Laredo protest. "I don't want them sharing the roads with my family."
NAFTA requires that all roads in the United States, Mexico and Canada be opened to carriers from all three countries. Canadian trucking companies already have full access to U.S. roads, but Mexican trucks can travel only about 20 miles inside the country at certain border crossings.
The one-year pilot program is designed to study whether opening the U.S.-Mexico border to all trucks could be done safely.
The government says it has imposed rigorous safety protocols in the program, including drug and alcohol testing for drivers done by U.S. companies. Additionally, law enforcement officials have stepped up nationwide enforcement of a law requiring interstate truck and bus drivers to have a basic understanding of written and spoken English.
Besides the safety issues, Flores said there are also concerns about job security and pollution from emissions.
"Now they're trying to export all our driving jobs to Mexico," Flores said. "That's one less American job."
At a Petro truck stop near El Paso along Interstate 10, reactions to the program were mixed.
Carlos Moreno, who has been a truck driver for nearly four decades, said he doesn't begrudge anyone trying to make a living.
"There's enough for all of us," said Moreno, an El Paso resident.
But he is concerned that some of the drivers from Mexico can't read highway signs written in English. "You can always tell in construction zones," he said.
Omar Nunez, a 34-year-old driver from Pecos, said he worries that freight prices will drop as shippers turn to Mexican trucking companies that may offer cheaper services.

"As it is, I'm barely making it right now," he said.
Among those most concerned were a group of drivers gathered at the Flying J truck stop in Edinburg, Texas. Much of their business has come from picking up loads that Mexican drivers previously had to leave at the border.
"That's my business," said Gerald Fernow, 36, from Flatonia, Texas. "What am I supposed to do? I'm screwed."
___
Associated Press writers Alicia A. Caldwell in El Paso, Lynn Brezosky in Edinburg and Elliot Spagat in San Diego contributed to this report.

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 09-07-2007, 04:32 AM
Senior Board Member

I think if we really apply ourselves, we can start at least 10 more threads on this same subject and say the same things over and over and over and over........
Old 09-07-2007, 07:45 AM
Board Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheepdancer
I think if we really apply ourselves, we can start at least 10 more threads on this same subject and say the same things over and over and over and over........
Doesn't that show you how concerned drivers are? I'm sure you get the same "comish" regardless who you recruit. For that reason, and we already know your stand point, you may remove yourself from any further discussion on this topic, if you don't like it. :wink:
Old 09-07-2007, 10:17 AM
Board Regular

ddog, Nafta was implemented Jan ,1, 1994, Bill Clinton was president,
. As you can see below the opening of the borders were part of the
Nafta agreement . "Partial access 1995,full access in 2000" . Although
full access was not opened until 2007, the plan was in place from the get go. I am not a GW fan but the facts are that Bill Clinton signed the agreement. This is the info I came up with , if you find that it is wrong
please let me know . Darin

INVASION USA
Mexican truckers to hit
U.S. roadways next year
Transportation secretary vows to release
1-year, NAFTA pilot plan by December

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: September 1, 2006
1:00 a.m. Eastern

© 2006 WorldNetDaily.com

Under the North American Free Trade Agreement – NAFTA – the borders were to open partially to truckers from both countries in 1995. Full access was promised by 2000. Because of the restrictions on Mexican trucks, the Mexican government has imposed limits on U.S. truckers.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by continental
Quote:
Doesn't that show you how concerned drivers are? :
It shows that a good portion of the drivers on this forum don't know how to use the search engine.
Old 09-07-2007, 11:53 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Any Guru comments about US roads NOW open to Mexican Tru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddog
This should turn the whole industry upside down, as well as our roads which will be supporting fire-bomb trucks with no additional taxes.

Just like illegal aliens: all benefits go to cheap-azz Industry while the tax payers will foot the bills for roads and illegal alien benefits.

Trucking will be the last of good middle class jobs sucked out of the USA that will go to either China for marked up poor quality goods, or illegal aliens entering FL in loaded cruise ships daily.

Good job GW and Jeb Bush!

Seems to me newbies may never taste successful wages and veterans have their days numbered before they will have to accept lowered wages.

:roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 09-07-2007, 12:41 PM
Senior Board Member

It is impossible for them to use the search engine, impossible for them to simply view the page to see that there are at least to threads started on the subject and of course REALLY impossible for them to separate the issues of illegal immigration and legal workers.
Old 09-07-2007, 02:46 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by continental
Quote:
Doesn't that show you how concerned drivers are? I'm sure you get the same "comish" regardless who you recruit. For that reason, and we already know your stand point, you may remove yourself from any further discussion on this topic, if you don't like it. :wink:
What in the world does this subject have to do with recruiting? American companies will never hire mexican drivers. THESE ARE MEXICAN COMPANIES USING MEXICAN DRIVERS TO HAUL MEXICAN FREIGHT.
Im sure recruiters down in mexico are busy right now. But that has nothing to do with us.

If you are going to let your paranoia get the best of you and you really truly believe that 5 years from now american truck drivers are only going to make 15cpm because of this, why dont you start looking for another career? If you are 100% sure all this negative stuff is going to happen, wouldnt that be the smart thing to do?