View Poll Results: Is the law that requires speaking and reading English too severe for Mexican drivers?
Yes 1 4.17%
No 23 95.83%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-05-2007, 09:04 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/09/04/Dobbs.Sept5/index.html

To see the President of Mexico's latest speech and thoughts on immigration.

It is not Bush's fault entirely, ALL the politicians pander to the Mexicans. ALL the politicans are owned by coprorate powers. Corporate America must exploit the Mexican labor market to increase profits, finance their stock options, and provide a return to the large institutional investors. They care little for America, the American worker or their families, only themselves.
And it is not only in the trucking industry. So don't be too upset now that it very well may be your "ox that will be getting gored."
The Dems will be no better at protecting your livliehood, your family or the borders.
Old 09-06-2007, 12:33 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Ford95
Hey, the agreement says that US drivers must be able to speak Spanish when going into Mexico so tough luck for those who are turned around and sent home for not being able to speak English here. F them, don't need more idiots on the road who seem to not be able to understand road signs. We have enough of those already and they are American drivers thru and thru.
Yeah, like YIELD.

I agree with your position completely. Mexico is very one-sided about this sort of thing. They whine about our not having a guest worker program and blah blah blah, but if I wanted to go get a job in Mexico, they wouldn't let me work there. Same thing with the language issue. They want me to speak Spanish to enter Mexico, but they want to be able to enter the US without English. It's one-sided, and stacked in Mexico's favor.

Though you can make a real case that we are at least as bilingual a country as Canada already. The USA has one of the largest populations of Spanish speakers in the world, and we even have our own clearly distinct Spanish dialect. We don't have the same level of official bilingualism as Canada, but a good case can be made that we should.

And, for the record, hablo español, et je parle français aussi! So I can talk to these people well enough even if they don't speak my language. I would hesitate to enter neither country, except that Canada is too damn north, and Mexico is too damn south.