User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-02-2007, 07:32 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default cb interference problem

weird problem. so I have a new CB, new coax, but still older antennas. anyway this is a company cb in a 2006 Freightliner XL daycab.

there is no static interference at all when the ignition is off. as soon as you turn the ignition to the on position the needle jumps all over on the radio. but like I said, when it is off no problems at all cb works great. I have to turn the dynamike around halfway down to lose the interference when the key is on. when its off though the dyna can be all the way up and i get no problem.

its kind of annoying, cause turning the dyna so far back I can't pick up much at all. any idea what this could be?
Old 09-02-2007, 07:58 PM
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

well dynamik is like mic gain. it is for transmitting, not receiving. look to the ground on radio, and anteannas.
Old 09-02-2007, 10:39 PM
Senior Board Member

im not a cb pro nor do i like using them, but does your cb have a proper ground
Old 09-03-2007, 07:57 AM
Board Regular
Default Re: cb interference problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by stanger92
weird problem. so I have a new CB, new coax, but still older antennas. anyway this is a company cb in a 2006 Freightliner XL daycab.

there is no static interference at all when the ignition is off. as soon as you turn the ignition to the on position the needle jumps all over on the radio. but like I said, when it is off no problems at all cb works great. I have to turn the dynamike around halfway down to lose the interference when the key is on. when its off though the dyna can be all the way up and i get no problem.

its kind of annoying, cause turning the dyna so far back I can't pick up much at all. any idea what this could be?
RF Gain controls the attenuation / level reduction from the antenna in RX into your radio, that will help. However, what you are experiencing is under the broadest of terms: Radio Frequency Interference [RFI], which can be caused by ground loops, or unshielded impulse voltage from things like your truck's computer, fuel injectors, sensors, motors, alternator, regulator. The list just goes on and on as to what's happening in your truck when you turn the key.

My advice to you is, if the truck does not belong to you, is look to see where your radio is pulling power from... are the lines going to a fuse on the block, most likely if the power lines are already installed in the radio box... you're best bet would be to ask your mechanic to run the lines directly onto the batteries. This will avoid ground loop issues which can damage your radio.

If you don't want to go that far, consider getting new antennas, I'd say steel whips as long as you can with a very well build coil like a Monkey Made or a Wilson, and go with the dual-antenna & dual-harness 75-ohm coax line.

And lastly, if you just want to get rid of the hash, turn down the RF Gain and deal with the shorter listening radius you will experience.

Good luck!