User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-01-2007, 01:57 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default 12v radios

Can I use a 12v radio in my truck or is the truck system 24v? Im going to try and put an in-dash nav unit in my 99 international. The navigation unit im trying to hook up has wires that goes to the reverse lead, parking brake and a speed pulse cable. So I would like to know if I can access these wires from my truck? Has anyone out there ever hooked up an in-dash navigation unit? Do I even need to hook up all those wires? Thanks
Old 09-01-2007, 02:29 PM
Senior Board Member

Modern trucks are usually 12v neg ground, just like a car.

As far as hooking up an indash unit, if this is a company truck I suggest not splicing into any wires. The company may view this as tampering/altering company equipment and fire you.
Old 09-01-2007, 02:53 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: 12v radios

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4GIVEN
Can I use a 12v radio in my truck or is the truck system 24v? Im going to try and put an in-dash nav unit in my 99 international. The navigation unit im trying to hook up has wires that goes to the reverse lead, parking brake and a speed pulse cable. So I would like to know if I can access these wires from my truck? Has anyone out there ever hooked up an in-dash navigation unit? Do I even need to hook up all those wires? Thanks
From about the mid 70's to the present, all class 8 trucks have used a 12 volt negative ground system.

If you're not confident about hooking things up properly, have it done professionally.
Old 09-01-2007, 04:40 PM

The truck is mine. I used to installed car stereos years ago for a living and still do it for some friends from time to time, so I feel confident about trying it. But where can I go if I find out I cant do it? I just wanted to see if anyone has put in a aftermarket stereo system in there truck. Ive never dealt with truck stereos, but it seems like its not much different than car audio. Thanks for the quick replies!!
Old 09-01-2007, 05:12 PM
Board Regular

If you use to do install in cars then you shouldnt have any problems. I threw an aftermarket in my Freightliner in about 10 minutes after i went and got an adaptor from best buy so that i wouldnt have to do a bunch of splicing to the trucks wiring.