User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-29-2007, 02:00 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default I hate doctors...

I went in on Monday for my DOT physical. Because I'm 39 now and a smoker, the doctor suggested I have a full physical. Fine. No problem...

Well, the physical was him checking me over, urine screen, blood work, EKG, breathing test and x-rays. My blood pressure was perfect (110/70), breathing test was funny - the lab tech that gave me the test said that there was no way I'd been smoking for 20 years now.

Anway, we get to the EKG. She hooks me up and does the quick test, which lasts about, what, 90 seconds. She pulls the paper out and says I'll be right back. She comes back and says "we need to do some additional blood work" and proceeds to fill up 5 or 6 more vials. She then says I need to schedule an appointment for a heart monitor. Of course by now I'm starting to freak out. She says "Oh, there's nothing to worry about. This is normal." Is it? So, now I have to go in next Tuesday to get hooked up to the heart monitor for 24hrs. She wouldn't say anything else about it.

Also, during the exam I told the doctor I'd been having trouble with my knees. Not severe pain, but constant mild pain. Got the results from that one today - Rheumatoid Arthritis in both knees and it's starting to show in both ankles and both shoulders.

I'm just glad I run an auto-shift - the constant shifting was killing my shoulder and knee in the stick I ran before.

So, for now he's got me on Naproxen for the pain. He said I'll probably have to go see an orthopedic surgeon to find out how bad it really is.

Ain't life grand?
Old 08-29-2007, 02:12 AM
Senior Board Member

I hate doctors too, but for a different reason. I have a sinus infection that will not go away. Must have had it for the last 2 1/2 weeks because that is when my headache started, which still has not gone away. Doctor is unable or unwilling to prescribe me anything to provide me with any relief but at the same time gripes about all the OTC medications I am taking just to cut it in half. :roll: :roll:
Old 08-29-2007, 02:23 AM
Board Regular

I too agree about going to Doctors. I have wicked asthma usually breath at about 59-63%. The average person breaths at 85-100%. The new associate of my usual Doctor saw me yesterday and told me that I was brething at 70% I almost stood up and hugged him. He said, you know that isn't good don't you? I said for me it's excellent. He had the funniest expression on his face. Well 11% improvement since the last test seems pretty darn good to me.

On another note... Well probably go into that it's a female thing. I guess I don't want to hear about prostate stuff so I won't go into any gynecological stuff. Sure you guys will appreciate that huh? 8) :roll:
Old 08-29-2007, 02:26 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
I hate doctors too, but for a different reason. I have a sinus infection that will not go away. Must have had it for the last 2 1/2 weeks because that is when my headache started, which still has not gone away. Doctor is unable or unwilling to prescribe me anything to provide me with any relief but at the same time gripes about all the OTC medications I am taking just to cut it in half. :roll: :roll:
the problem with the medicine for sinus infection is that you cant go outside while taking it, I had to take it a few years back and I ignored the warning to stay in, I got extremely sick and turned yellow.t..he doctor said, " I told you so" thats probably why he doesnt want to give it to you. if you can stay home, then tell him. if not you just have to tough it out (which aint easy)
Old 08-29-2007, 02:26 AM
Board Regular

Sorry for the typo [brething] in the last post and bad grammar. Shucks hate it when I mess up. I should have run it through the spell checker. I knew right before I hit the submit button-I screwed up. OOPS!!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Old 08-29-2007, 02:31 AM
Board Regular

Have you ever tried Benadryl? It works like a charm for me. However, it makes some people drowsy. Also, some of the best Prescribed Sinus medication is Singulair. Good luck.

I've had a sinus headache for several days now also but it's stemming from severe stress along with going from 100 degrees in Georgia to 60 degrees in Pennsylvania to 90 degrees in Missouri to 60 degrees in Colorado. That sure can throw our bodies off big time!
Old 08-29-2007, 03:39 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: I hate doctors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malaki86
I went in on Monday for my DOT physical. Because I'm 39 now and a smoker, the doctor suggested I have a full physical. Fine. No problem...

Well, the physical was him checking me over, urine screen, blood work, EKG, breathing test and x-rays. My blood pressure was perfect (110/70), breathing test was funny - the lab tech that gave me the test said that there was no way I'd been smoking for 20 years now.

Anway, we get to the EKG. She hooks me up and does the quick test, which lasts about, what, 90 seconds. She pulls the paper out and says I'll be right back. She comes back and says "we need to do some additional blood work" and proceeds to fill up 5 or 6 more vials. She then says I need to schedule an appointment for a heart monitor. Of course by now I'm starting to freak out. She says "Oh, there's nothing to worry about. This is normal." Is it? So, now I have to go in next Tuesday to get hooked up to the heart monitor for 24hrs. She wouldn't say anything else about it.

Also, during the exam I told the doctor I'd been having trouble with my knees. Not severe pain, but constant mild pain. Got the results from that one today - Rheumatoid Arthritis in both knees and it's starting to show in both ankles and both shoulders.

I'm just glad I run an auto-shift - the constant shifting was killing my shoulder and knee in the stick I ran before.

So, for now he's got me on Naproxen for the pain. He said I'll probably have to go see an orthopedic surgeon to find out how bad it really is.

Ain't life grand?
Well, obviously there was something showing on your EKG. They should have been honest. I can't see why they wouldn't tell you. Very strange. I worked in EMS for several years and there could be a myriad of issues that can show up. Some are serious and some are not. I would hope that he would have sent you to the ER if it was something serious. But having responded to hundreds of 911 calls at doctors offices, I've come to realize not all doctors are real bright. I wondered where they went to med school sometimes.

Oh, quit smoking. It's never too late to stop. Smoking is without at doubt the worse thing you can do to yourself.

Old 08-29-2007, 04:07 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
I don't hate doctors, just tend to avoid them at all costs :wink:

If your stomach/mouth/nose is strong enough taking straight garlic cloves (minced)will make a lot of headway into that sinus infection :wink: If you can't take it straight (like me), you can mix it with honey, yogurt, or just about anything that will dilute it enough. Makes a world of difference on just about any illness
Old 08-29-2007, 11:44 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: I hate doctors...

[quote="greg3564Well, obviously there was something showing on your EKG. They should have been honest. I can't see why they wouldn't tell you. Very strange. I worked in EMS for several years and there could be a myriad of issues that can show up. Some are serious and some are not. I would hope that he would have sent you to the ER if it was something serious. But having responded to hundreds of 911 calls at doctors offices, I've come to realize not all doctors are real bright. I wondered where they went to med school sometimes.

Oh, quit smoking. It's never too late to stop. Smoking is without at doubt the worse thing you can do to yourself.[/quote]

The best I can figure is that they want me to do the test before the doctor says anything about it. I guess they think it'd worry me. Ya - like telling me not to worry won't make me worry.

As far as the quitting smoking - I know it's bad for me.
Old 08-29-2007, 04:01 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
A bad tooth can cause a sinus infection.