User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-23-2007, 11:39 AM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Another religious/political/stupid law thread

Why is Polygamy illegal? Think carefully before you answer.
Old 08-23-2007, 12:40 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

If it wasn't, we could probably catch up to the Muslims. Heard a story the other day about one that had some 20 wives and was shooting (pun intended) for 100 children. He was pretty close to it. :shock:

Old 08-23-2007, 10:37 PM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Another religious/political/stupid law thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fozzy
Why is Polygamy illegal?
Because the Polygamist's are so dam greedy. If it isn't enough to talk your wife into letting another woman move in. They should just be happy with that!

Or.... because the Democrats got jealous and decided since they can't talk their wives into letting them have another wife, no one is going too.

Seriously I don't have a clue. But if states are going to let 2 men get married or 2 women get married they should let a man have 2 wives. I guess I could just google it and see, but what fun would that be?
Old 08-24-2007, 12:16 AM
Board Regular

Why on earth would you want two wives?
I can't seem to get rid of the one I have now! :?
Old 08-24-2007, 01:08 AM
Senior Board Member

Well here's my take on it.. having laws against polygamy is basically archaic and of course illogical on the face of it. This is one issue where I side with the religious loonies!

As I've stated before, for the most part, heterosexual pedophilia is legal in this country in a lot of states. All a pedophile needs is permission from the parents or a priest and they can marry and have sex with a child.

Now lets create a scenario.. One man has a wife and a mistress or even several. Say that these people create offspring. This is still not legal and of course, happens quite commonly in this country. We have seen an explosion of out of wedlock births and to do that, these people are not simply going out to the movies. These people could all move into the same house and share the bills. This would not be common, but it would still be VERY legal.

Now lets talk about the equal protection under the law that this country is or was founded on. If this man wants to marry and takes care off the offspring under one roof instead of having and supporting families all over the place.. this guy goes to prison for being a freak or loonie?
Old 08-24-2007, 03:36 AM
Board Icon

Quote:
Originally Posted by continental
Why on earth would you want two wives?
I can't seem to get rid of the one I have now! :?
Whoooo. :lol: :lol:

That aint even right. :P

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 08-24-2007, 05:31 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Well here's my take on it.. having laws against polygamy is basically archaic and of course illogical on the face of it. This is one issue where I side with the religious loonies!

As I've stated before, for the most part, heterosexual pedophilia is legal in this country in a lot of states. All a pedophile needs is permission from the parents or a priest and they can marry and have sex with a child.

Now lets create a scenario.. One man has a wife and a mistress or even several. Say that these people create offspring. This is still not legal and of course, happens quite commonly in this country. We have seen an explosion of out of wedlock births and to do that, these people are not simply going out to the movies. These people could all move into the same house and share the bills. This would not be common, but it would still be VERY legal.

Now lets talk about the equal protection under the law that this country is or was founded on. If this man wants to marry and takes care off the offspring under one roof instead of having and supporting families all over the place.. this guy goes to prison for being a freak or loonie?
Poligamy wasn't ever a problem. That is until Joseph Smith and his band of crazies invented their little fake religion and really pissed people off. Then it was off to Utah where they would reproduce faster than a dog in heat. When the US Govt said they would remove Smith by force if they didn't stop poligamy, the "church/cult" suddenly heard a message from God that they should stop poligamy. How conveniant. :roll:

Old 08-24-2007, 12:30 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Quote:

Poligamy wasn't ever a problem. That is until Joseph Smith and his band of crazies invented their little fake religion and really pissed people off. Then it was off to Utah where they would reproduce faster than a dog in heat. When the US Govt said they would remove Smith by force if they didn't stop poligamy, the "church/cult" suddenly heard a message from God that they should stop poligamy. How conveniant. :roll:
It really doesn't matter why and this is really not even relevant when the standards of today are entered into the equation. When the majority can get away with common law polygamy, then another man ought not go to prison for it.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:58 PM
The Bat Cave
Board Icon

Quote:
Poligamy wasn't ever a problem. That is until Joseph Smith and his band of crazies invented their little fake religion and really pissed people off. Then it was off to Utah where they would reproduce faster than a dog in heat. When the US Govt said they would remove Smith by force if they didn't stop poligamy, the "church/cult" suddenly heard a message from God that they should stop poligamy. How conveniant
Actually, there's nothing factual in that statement at all. Simply overblown hate propaganda. While there seems to be religious bashing on a lot of other boards, we try to keep that to a minimum on this board, whether you're talking Catholic, Mormon, Moonie, or whoever. Thanks for understanding.

Regarding your post, Joseph Smith never made it to Utah. He was killed in Illinois. Mob rule killed many men that had joined the church, to the point that there were few of them left. Murder is murder, no matter how you look at it and most of the murders left behind wives, mothers, and children. :cry:

The Mormons fled to Utah and settled there and that's where poligamy took hold. They never stopped it under threat from the government. They stopped it when there was no longer a 20 to 1 female to male ratio.

Hope that cleared things up.

Old 08-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Senior Board Member

When you look at the recent history of polygamy, it has been undertaken by less than savory individuals. David Koresh and his Branch Davidians and Warren Jeffs, Colorado City, UT, who was on the FBI's 10 Most Wanted list are two that pop into my head.

Polygamy these days can usually only be seen in occult-like, compound environments. Young girls are forced to marry and have sex with much older men. Failure to comply results in severe and illegal punishments. Human rights abuses are prevalent in polygamist compounds. There have been many women who have escaped from their polygamist captors and have told their stories of physical and sexual abuse.

IMHO polygamy is very dangerous for the women and children involved.