User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-20-2007, 11:11 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default FUEL Mileage HELP

I'm looking at picking up a single axle Mack (CH612F) w/ a 48" sleeper! I'm looking at pulling a 4 car trailer with this unit and I'm wondering how much I'd save on fuel by going with a single axle truck.

I'm guessing that a normal tandem axle usually gets about 5- 5.5 MPG's?? In going with a single axle and only pulling about 30,000lbs loaded.......would that maybe shoot that average up to around 8/9 miles per gallon???

Also.....I know Macks are tough to break....but...do they work out well as a highway truck too??? My old dump truck could take a beating and never failed me...but I don't have experience with them going Coast to Coast!

Now that I'm still thinking.....I know the tranny and gears will make a difference, and the one I'm looking at is as Follows...

2001 Mack CH612F E7 Motor with a 10spd trans.......Rear is a 3.90 ratio. With that basic info........is it possible to push the mpg up to around 8/9 + ???? It's got 443,000 miles on it and they are asking $24,000. That seems like a decent price considering the mileage on the rig. Thanks for any info I get from you guys!!!

Chop
Old 08-21-2007, 12:21 AM

Assuming that's a 10spd overdrive, I think that combo should have a pretty good chance of getting 8 mpg or better if you don't get crazy with the right foot!

IMHO, if I was going to haul 4 cars cross country, that Mack sounds like a lot better choice than one of these p/u haulers. Should hold up much better too.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:20 AM
Senior Board Member

I don't think Mack makes a Ch612F I've heard of a Ch612 though.
Old 08-21-2007, 01:28 AM
Rookie
Default Hey Guys

Ok......First off....it is only a Mack 612. I'm sorry for adding that F on the end! Here is the model/idea that I'm looking at getting!!!!

http://www.truckpaper.com/listings/d...B9C27E7D37C14D

I know what ya mean about these dullys pulling these trailers. The ass is always on the ground unless they have airbags.....and then if they do it seems they take corners at a dead stop so they dont roll the damn thing over.

My main concern is Getting into what I'm looking at with small costs for the first year or 2. Once I see how fast I can load my trailer each way....or get on with brokers, or whatever else I can find......Id rather have a setup that I can actually profit with only 4 cars. I have no problems seeing that I can load 4 cars in a 100 mile radius of each other on both east and west coast. The biggest thing is the fuel for only running that many cars. If I can get 8 + MPG then I can do it enough to see how thigns work. If I find that I can load 6/7 cars pretty easy/fast, then after the first year.....I'll upgrade to prolly a FL Century and a 6/7 car EZ-Load trailer!

Thanks for all your thoughts and I WANT MORE OF THEM> I don't care if they are good or bad experiences, or ideas......I just want to hear personal thoughts and opinions without expecting lashing out from me or you! lol....Good luck right? ANyways.....keep the thoughts coming guys.....

And if ANYONE has more info on these Mack Trucks pull a 4/5 car trailer Coast to Coast then PLEASE feed me all the info you know .......I'm finding some good deals on Macks, but just want to make sure they will hold up running 600 miles a day!!!

THANKS AGAIN!

CHop
Old 08-23-2007, 12:20 AM
Board Regular

My FLD120 single axle 41" sleeper flattop was originally set up with a headrack and pulled a three car trailer as a "Big Shot". I was told it was getting 8 MPG at 64 MPH (governed speed). I'm getting 8.25 MPG pulling a 53' van at 55 mph with avg 20k loads w/ aprox 33% deadhead. I removed the headrack and put on an air deflector from a junker we had
Old 08-23-2007, 12:25 AM
Rookie
Default Thanks for the reply

You said that your getting 8.2 mpg with only going 55mph?? That would almost make sense, only going 55 ! I would think you might drop to 7 or there abouts if you was to run 64/65.

I'm trying to get a "rough" figure of what a single axle truck would get. If I can pull between 8 and 10 mpg and only need to haul 4 cars at a time. I'm trying to get something that isnt a huge motor that has the power to pull 20-30K down the road and up the mtns with a small bed for me to lay my head in! I dont need it to be comfy.....just enough to be dot legal and a place to rest my head on my way to and from CA and FL.

Thanks for your reply !!! Be safe!!

Chop