User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2007, 11:38 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Everyone tellin me i made a BIG mistake.

I quit a job payin 19.10 hr to go work on tugboats I hated the tugboat job so i quit and now on monday am going to start a new job haulin dry bulk. It pays by the ton/cpm. In 2 weeks at my other company i would work around 95 hrs. and make 1906.83 gross. Bring home 1300. Thats not even workin 50 hrs a week. To make that everyone is sayin am going to have to work 12-14hr days. So i think i am a retard. For all you newbies out there some times the grass aint greener. I used to think i had it bad. But once i got lookin around i didnt have it to bad after all.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 08-19-2007, 12:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Any chance you could go back to the 19.10 an hour job??

:?: :?:
Old 08-19-2007, 01:18 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitshifter

They already replaced me. Plus i think they are going to go belly up with in the next year. They where not doing that good when i worked there. But i should have rode that out intill they closed up. But oh well you live and learn. I will make good money where am going but just putting in longer hrs. for it.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 08-19-2007, 02:12 AM

Did you work on a tug boat or a tow boat pushing barges on the river?
Old 08-19-2007, 02:47 AM
Senior Board Member

yeah tell us about the tug boat experience,I always wonder what that would be like?

Old 08-19-2007, 04:26 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: Everyone tellin me i made a BIG mistake.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
So i think i am a retard.
Yup. You're a retard. The name is DuMass. You were pulling down more for two weeks take home than I used to, for close to the same hours, and I bet you never had to sleep in your honey dipper. Dumbass.

Your story sounds like mine on the hours. I did nurse mine to the bitter end, but I got laid off. Now I'm making more money to work a lot more hours, and my hourly rate has gone down from $16.80 to about $15.50 for actual hours worked. Either way I'm still making less than you used to for hauling sh¡t.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:47 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:

They already replaced me. Plus i think they are going to go belly up with in the next year. They where not doing that good when i worked there. But i should have rode that out intill they closed up. But oh well you live and learn. I will make good money where am going but just putting in longer hrs. for it.
You jumped ship ( no pun intended ) when the going was good, as you were prescient enough to see the storm clouds gather in the horizon. By your own admission, the company is about to go belly up. You were lucky enough to get a decent job hauling tankers, even if you wish to treat it as a stepping stone for jobs with better companies.

And how does that make you a retard ???? Mackman, you should give yourself a pat in the back for your career move, and a kick in the butt for wringing your hands and whining like an old woman.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:49 PM
Board Regular

Quote:
Quote:

You jumped ship ( no pun intended ) when the going was good, as you were prescient enough to see the storm clouds gather in the horizon. By your own admission, the company is about to go belly up. You were lucky enough to get a decent job hauling tankers, even if you wish to treat it as a stepping stone for jobs with better companies.

And how does that make you a retard ???? Mackman, you should give yourself a pat in the back for your career move, and a kick in the butt for wringing your hands and whining like an old woman.
Old 08-19-2007, 03:55 PM
Senior Board Member

Mackman, try getting on with some of the barge companies that run the rivers and intercoastal waterways. Usually you get hired on as a deckhand or tankerman trainee. Most of the companies keep you out 30 days with 30 days off. Average starting yearly salary is $36-40,000. Not bad for only working half the year. Then as you gain more experience and move uo your pay increases. Pilots are making $80,000 and up. They also feed you. Typically you will work 12 hours on and 12 off or 6 on and 6 off.

Old 08-25-2007, 09:40 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg3564
Mackman, try getting on with some of the barge companies that run the rivers and intercoastal waterways. Usually you get hired on as a deckhand or tankerman trainee. Most of the companies keep you out 30 days with 30 days off. Average starting yearly salary is $36-40,000. Not bad for only working half the year. Then as you gain more experience and move uo your pay increases. Pilots are making $80,000 and up. They also feed you. Typically you will work 12 hours on and 12 off or 6 on and 6 off.
Am not into the whole tugboat barge thing i try it didnt like it at all. Yes there is alot of money to be made doing it. I was a deckhand making 215.61 a day 6hrs on 6 off. &days on &days off. Around 40k a year stating out. But it just wasnt for me. I was made to be a driver.