User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-06-2007, 02:10 PM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Identity Theft

Since we are on the road so much, I want to make sure that my credit is protected. Does anyone know where I can find out a plan that would protect me while I am out here? There is so much of this going on. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2007, 03:55 PM
Senior Board Member

http://www.lifelock.com/

They used to advertise on XM.
Old 08-06-2007, 10:51 PM
Senior Board Member

life lock is for someone who wants to throw away $10 a month, when you can do it yourself. although i do applaud them for being upfront and honest about it on their website.

the problem with putting "fraud alerts" on your credit report is that the 3 major bureaus may not abide by them. the ultimate lockdown is a credit freeze. and of course that has disadvantages, one being only for certain states, another being convoluted to implement, and as the bureaus like to tout, time consuming to remove since we all need to have our credit history available to anyone 24/7. :roll: a little planning is all you need to make it work. for example don't start it if you plan on looking for another job or switch cell phone providers.

before you do anything get your free credit report here
Old 08-07-2007, 02:16 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

You could subscribe to a credit monitoring service. That is what I do. Any time someone checks my credit they send me an alert. It will also send out a notice if my credit score changes. I believe I pay Equifax $79/yr for the service. This type of monitoring will keep your file open, should you need it, but will let you now if someone attempts to apply for credit in your name. If you have Internet on the road and check your email regularly, you will find out pretty quickly if someone is trying to use your identity.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:41 PM
Board Icon

That is what my wife has GMAN, she gets emails everytime we apply for credit somewhere. Unless she gives them the ok, the credit app will not be processed. It's like $12.95 a month and it does work. We went to get her a new car in her name only and Ford could not do it because of the credit thing she had so we had to put it in my name. Had something to do with her not responding to ok the credit app in a certain amount of time, so they blocked it from being processed.