User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2007, 10:56 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Is There Such A Thing As Freight Prep Services?

Hello all. This is Class B’s first post.

Does anyone know if there are any businesses that offer “freight prep’ services? I know some The UPS Stores offer this service on freight up to 150#, if one brings the item(s) to their location.

Can one find this type of service for heavier “off-site” items, in the lower 48?

I sometimes would like to bid on an item that is offered on eBay, but because the item is somewhat heavy, and would have to be shipped as freight, the seller only offers the item as a local pick-up to bidders. Therefore, I cannot place a bid. Either the seller does not have the means to place and strap the item on a pallet, and/or he does not want to get involved in the whole shipping process.

Many times, there are no bidders in a 7 or 10 day listing, and the seller re-lists the item repeatedly. The re-listing is free for the seller when there are no bids.

Of course, the winning bidder would have to arrange and pay for the freight shipment, but that is not the hard part.

Secondly, because the item is probably located where there is no loading dock, a truck with a small forklift would initially have to pick up the item to load it. That can be arranged also.

One item is a ship air horn, which would fit nicely strapped on the diagonal of a standard, or even a smaller, pallet. The weight of the horn and accessories is about 400#s. The other items are two used Bradley 54” diameter circular stone wash fountains. I do not know the weight yet, but I do not need any items shipped yet, I do not own them, I cannot bid on them.

Whether it is for the items mentioned above, or future items, does anyone know how to solve this paradox?

Thanks in advance to any responders.

Regards,

Class B
Old 08-05-2007, 04:16 PM
Senior Board Member

I would call a LTL company. I do know Conway will deliver and pick up the type of freight your talking about.
Old 08-05-2007, 10:50 PM
Administrator
Site Admin
Board Icon

I delivered product to a company in Savannah, GA not too long ago who prepares products for shipment overseas. They do everything from smaller packages to large boats. They have an interesting operation. 8)