User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Board Regular
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Driving Under the Influence Of Text Messaging

The recent loss of 5 Fairport NY young women who died in a SUV/ Truck collision on NY 20 may have been the result of the Junior Driver/Restricted license Drivers text messaging. There was a text message received & sent from the drivers cell phone near the time in which she swerved into the on coming conventional going west bound. There were 120 feet of skid marks left on the roadway from David Laferty's truck trying to avoid the crash. I have come to find out recently that it is'nt unusual for Teen and young inexperienced drivers to text message while driving. This ways an unfourtunate considerable avoidable loss. My Heart go's out to all those involved .
Old 07-14-2007, 01:39 PM
Senior Board Member

I can believe it. Kids eat text messaging up. A friend of mine's daughter ate up $700 in text message fees one month. He was fit to be tied, and I think he had to take his daughter to the ER to get the phone extracted from her nose. (kidding)

That accident was a terrible tragedy. Another one. There sure seem to be a lot of depressing stories about these days.
Old 07-14-2007, 02:19 PM
Board Regular
Default Driving Under the Influence Of Text Messaging

Silvan, Ur right about the fact that there is alot of depressing (sad) tales currently. one dies down and there is another horrid incident right behind it. just as bad I've followed this catastrophe since it happened and drove by the site of were all the Girl's died. I seen the vehicles on the Buff,NY news and both vehicles were extremely damaged from the crash and rusulting fire. I'am very concerned about the fact that it is considered " cool" to text while driving by kid's. The girl's were going 60 mph at the time of the collision.David pulled as far as he could to the right. any further he would been driving into the adjacent homes. of the area
Old 07-15-2007, 01:24 AM
Senior Board Member

In NC it is illeagel to drive and use a cell phone if you are under 18.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Board Icon

Doesn't matter if your over 18 or not, cellphones are a distraction. I've seen grown adults who could not drive a lick, get beside them and they are on their cellphone.

In VA, they just banned the use of cellphones for the under 18 group while driving.

This bothers me as my wife likes to Text while driving. I tried it one time and decided to never try it again. I have so ripped her for doing it. I am not going to be paying for someone else's vehicle to get fixed because she was texting.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:22 PM

Research has shown cell phone usage while driving is worse than drugs or alcohol.

So the next time you're forced to choose between drinking a 6 pack and smoking pot or calling home while driving, go for the 6 pack and the pot, it's safer.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:14 AM
Senior Board Member

I heard in the news a long time ago, that there is a device that will interfere with cell phone calls... Maybe people on the roadways will have to buy them, just to keep them safe from the vehicles surrounding them... :roll:

The car manufacturers are to blame here as well, for building vehicles with electronic accessory capabilities. Instead they should be building vehicles for one purpose only, to get you from point "A", to point "B", and back again. Leave the gadgets at home... If you need to call for an emergency, they should install an emergency call button, and that's it...

It is one thing to listen to your vehicle radio, it's another when you have to fiddle with gadgets that really don't belong in a vehicle in the first place... If anything the auto manufacturers should be more concerned with building safer vehicles, and for those of us in harsh weather areas, vehicle that won't rust away before the engine wears out... That would be a better improvement.

Heck, I bought a new stereo radio for my vehicle a while ago, with all this crap built into it, like MP3, and other things I don't use, just so I could get a radio with a CD, cassette deck combination... :x

Really don't need to have to pay more for stuff I won't use, just to get the stuff I will use... :roll:

Gone are the days of keeping things simple... :roll:

Old 07-22-2007, 05:33 PM
Rookie

In Washington state it's now illegal to text while driving, and eventually (I think next year) it will be illegal to talk on the phone while driving if you're not using a bluetooth or other handsfree device.