User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-06-2007, 11:36 PM
Senior Board Member
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default TUGBOATS SUCK!!!!!!

Well as most of you know i stop drivin to go work on tugboats. It aint that bad of a job but it is boring as hell. When i mean you do nothing you do nothing at all for 22hrs out of the day. I was out for 7 days Now am on my off time 7days off. I go back on Monday for another 7 and i dont want to go. I talked to a guy about driving a tri axle so most likely i will be back behind the wheel. I kinda missed drivin and all its bullsh*t. Well atleast i can say i tryed tugboats. Now i know i will always be a driver it just seems like the only job that fits me.

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 07-06-2007, 11:44 PM
Senior Board Member

Oh and one more thing they dont have chrome pipes. What type of diesel dont have chrome pipes :lol: But the boat does have v-12 detroits that blow alot of black smoke. :P

"All the coolie carriers suck. Log 70, work 80-100, paid for 50." - the Great ColdFrostyMug

Old 07-07-2007, 01:35 AM
Senior Board Member
Default Re: TUGBOATS SUCK!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mackman
I was out for 7 days Now am on my off time 7days off. I go back on Monday for another 7 and i dont want to go.
If you stay at this tugboat thing you should change your username to "Wet Dweller". :lol:

But seriously if you were working local, driving a triaxle previous to this oceanic adventure, then this tugboat thing appears to be a step backward in terms of "quality of life".

As a triaxle dump driver, even if you work long hours, at least you go home and sleep in your own bed each night.

How does the money compare? Evidently it's not much better than the triaxle pay, or you wouldn't be b*tching.

On the other hand, if you had been a dweller, then this tugboat job would have definitely been a step in the right direction, as it allows for hometime after 7 days, instead of 4, 5, 6, or more weeks away from home, as is customary in dwellerland.

:wink:
Old 07-07-2007, 04:00 AM
Board Icon

Well, Mackman, I wish ya the best of luck. I'm sorry to hear that being a sea captain on the tugboat didnt pan out for ya. Just follow your heart, and do your best. Remember, dont burn any bridges. You might want to go back to your boat tugging. :P

Best of luck, bro.

http://watsonsysco.com/
Old 07-07-2007, 05:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Thanks guys the money aint to bad its a day rate of $215.61 a day. If i would stay at this tug boat thing i could make alot more money then a driver. If i get a AB which is a upgrade from a deckhand i can make are 295.00 a day. I could do that with only 1 year exp. But heart is in trucks not boats. It is a cool job but not one that i would want to do for the rest of my life. So am going to go back out and just look for a good drivin job in the mean time.

Old 07-07-2007, 12:17 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Thanks guys the money aint to bad its a day rate of $215.61 a day. If i would stay at this tug boat thing i could make alot more money then a driver. If i get a AB which is a upgrade from a deckhand i can make are 295.00 a day. I could do that with only 1 year exp. But heart is in trucks not boats. It is a cool job but not one that i would want to do for the rest of my life. So am going to go back out and just look for a good drivin job in the mean time.
Not too mention...working the "boats" can be a seriously dangerous job at times...

Been there...done that. And yes...I've seen lost limbs and lives.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:52 PM
Board Regular

Mackman, you tried my brother did barges and he says the same thing....it sucks, but you did try. I won't even go on a lake in a boat, let alone a river. I need good solid ground under me.

When a white army battles Indians and wins, itis called a great victory, but if they lose itis called a massacre.Chiksika, Shawnee
Old 07-09-2007, 02:50 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveP
Quote:
Not too mention...working the "boats" can be a seriously dangerous job at times...

Been there...done that. And yes...I've seen lost limbs and lives.
Um, err.... I would do that job if I got the chance..... Can't be anywhere near as dangerous as what we do.... Heck, over 42,000 people die on our roads every year.....and I'll bet alot more truck drivers die than tugboat hands.

I normally live on a boat that is bluewater capable....I like the water. There's nothing like being out on a really crappy day and living to tell about it....13 to 15 foot seas in 50 mph wind on a 33' sailboat.... Yeeeha! 8)

Remember: The "truth WILL set you free"! If it doesn't "set you free"....."it will trap you in the cesspool of your own design".

They lost my original "avatar"....oh well.

Old 07-09-2007, 03:02 AM
Board Regular

Where do you run the tug Mackman? Up and down the Delaware river?
Old 07-09-2007, 04:27 AM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitman
Where do you run the tug Mackman? Up and down the Delaware river?
Yeah up and down the delaware and Schuylkill river mostly but we did go down to Baltimore MD. I hread we will also go up to NY Harbor alot but havent been there yet. Well am leaveing 2marrow for another 7 days so i will be back on next monday to give an update with pics if you guys want to see them.
I need to get back in trucks where am home so am just going to pan this out intill i get my hazmat and then i think am going to try to drive for SUNOCO. Thats my plan as of now but it changes alot. 2marrow i might want to fly planes :lol: lol.