User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2007, 05:15 AM
Rookie
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default CB Radio,Laptop,&CellPhone

Hello my father is an otr driver he has been getting well bored or sick with trucking. Hes at a better company they pay more better trucks and so on the only downside is hes not home everyweekend not a big deal but its not every weekend. The company does give them cell phones but he can't talk much cause the company watches the mins. So he just wants to get his own cell phone so he can call us as much as he wants. He can do that on his own. But me and my mother were talking about what we could get him for a birthday present and a x-mas present. Mom said we should get him a lap top, I said hes always wanted a galaxy cb radio. I was wondering what a good laptop is we wanna possibly get wireless internet so it has to be able to do that. i wanna know what the price range is on a laptop. Another thing is how much the best strongest galaxy radio is. He has a cobra 148 sound tracker with a striker antenna the cb is getting some years on it and its just time for a new one.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:37 AM
Senior Board Member

Laptops will run you anywhere from about $700 for a low end decent one to over $2000 for a top of the line. Toshiba makes a pretty decent product as does Dell.

Many Laptops come with a wireless card built in anymore that will allow you to access wi-fi signals. If he would rather get online virtually any time then you can go with service through a cell phone company which will require a special card that the service provider can provide. To make things easier make sure the laptop comes with a PMCIA card slot.

While there are some free wi-fi service available at some locations, most truck stops charge to access the internet which is around $20-$25 per month. The cell phone provider service is around $50 per month.

As far as the Galaxy radios goes you need to be careful with them. If you get a 10 meter radio and convert it to CB use there is the chance that he could run a foul of the FCC and face fines and confiscation of the radio. Galaxy does make regular CB radios however. I have never had one of that brand and could not begin to tell you if they are worth anything.

As a final note on the cell phones, make sure he goes with a family plan and gets at least 2 phones (one for him and one for the house). This way he can call home and you can call him whenever you want and it will not cost you any extra or use any plan minutes. Sprint and Verizon seem to have the best Nationwide service with Cingular coming in third.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:41 PM
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uturn2001
Laptops will run you anywhere from about $700 for a low end decent one to over $2000 for a top of the line. Toshiba makes a pretty decent product as does Dell.

Many Laptops come with a wireless card built in anymore that will allow you to access wi-fi signals. If he would rather get online virtually any time then you can go with service through a cell phone company which will require a special card that the service provider can provide. To make things easier make sure the laptop comes with a PMCIA card slot.

While there are some free wi-fi service available at some locations, most truck stops charge to access the internet which is around $20-$25 per month. The cell phone provider service is around $50 per month.

As far as the Galaxy radios goes you need to be careful with them. If you get a 10 meter radio and convert it to CB use there is the chance that he could run a foul of the FCC and face fines and confiscation of the radio. Galaxy does make regular CB radios however. I have never had one of that brand and could not begin to tell you if they are worth anything.

As a final note on the cell phones, make sure he goes with a family plan and gets at least 2 phones (one for him and one for the house). This way he can call home and you can call him whenever you want and it will not cost you any extra or use any plan minutes. Sprint and Verizon seem to have the best Nationwide service with Cingular coming in third.
Thanks all that info is a big help. has for the cell phone..where i live we would have to go with cell one cause they are the only ones who has a signal in our area. him and my mother would have to figure out the cell phone arangement.