User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-22-2007, 02:13 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)

Have your tried contacting Canada Border Services Agency I believe they have a web site with a section for sending them questions for replys by email. I believe the address is [email protected] they should email you back however it may take up to 30 days for a reply.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:17 PM
Senior Board Member

First your company needs to set up a bunch of things before you can even think about crossing the border.

First the Canadian side:

Canada does not require advanced notification, and overall is easier to get across. First, you need some PARS stickers. I do not know how to get them, but it's best if your company contacts canadian border services and asks questions. I get them through my company.

You arrive at customer with your PARS stickers and load up. Most customers will allow you to fax from their site.

With the Canadian side, you need to fax the customs document as well as the BOL, unlike the US side. You will recognize the customs document because it has a value on it. You affix a PARS barcode to the front page.
Put a "number only" sticker on the remaining pages.

Make sure before you fax, that the pages are suitable for faxing. I find "carbon copy" pages to be terrible. You'll need to copy it first, make sure it shows up, and fax the copy. Also, say you have 3 pages total, make sure you make a copy of every page! Sometimes Canada customs computer system will be down, and they need a copy. Make the copies into their own seperate paper clip. Hand them both bundles.

On the top right corner, I put how many pages (1/3, 2/3, 3/3 or whatever), usually it's 2 or 3 pages.

Somewhere on the front page, you need to put which border you're crossing. It's important to remember that you do not need to fax to the specific border crossing. What you need to do is inform the broker where you're crossing, and when. I also put a callback # just in case one of the pages don't go through.

A couple hours later, give the broker a call. Some brokers use national call centers now. When they answer just simply say "I'm calling for a PARS number". They'll ask you what number, and say if it's in or not.

If it's in, you're set up for the border.

Now crossing into the US is a totally different ball of wax. I'll get into that later.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:06 PM
Board Regular

well, I went to Canada and made it back alive. Thanks for all your responses.

The reason I questioned the procedures (which I do know how to do if your company is set up), but have no clue on how to do this without pars, without a Canada carrier code, since we just applied for all that.

It all went well, and if I do have to go again, we will be set up next time.