User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2007, 04:15 AM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Young man looking at the future

Hello everyone. Im 19yrs old and getting ready to go towards my goal of a CDL. Ive always wanted to have a career in transportation, and I already know how to drive a tractor(thanks to relative). I have heard the ups and downs of this career, but i'm kinda confused. 4 instance, people have told me this is a growing career, guaranteed stability, etc. Then I hear people say trucking is getting worse and worse. I dont need the speech about going to college and warnings to turn away from this field. I know I want to do this. Im one of the people who understands im just an avg guy. SOmebody has to do these "average guy" careers. please just let me know how do you succeed in this industry. Thanks!
Old 06-13-2007, 05:16 AM
Senior Board Member

Well saying you want to be a truck driver is a pretty broad statement. Are you going to be local? Over the road? The latter excludes you from a normal family life. Keep that in mind.

It's the stubborn SOB's that refuse to adapt to todays trucking that are suffering. These old coots are still buying a new truck every 3 years, a big wind catcher, with their favorite "big cat engine" and wonder why they're having a tough time making money.

But you won't worry about that. Be a company driver for a good 3-4 years before buying your own truck. But I do recommend buying your own truck.

Above all, you MUST find a good company. I've only been with one company, and they do not have forced dispatch. I call and tell them when I want to go out. I advise you to try to find the same.

Also, knowing someone in the business would really help. The help here(although good) will not be enough.

You need to have an unreal amount of patience.

Good luck.
Old 06-13-2007, 06:05 AM

thanks for your input man
Old 06-13-2007, 11:44 AM
Senior Board Member

Things out here are changing, some for the better, some for the worse. As in anything else in life, it is all a matter of perspective. Federal Regulations, traffic patterns and trying to choose a good company that will treat you with respect are all issues. The love of open spaces, seeing places that most people do not even know about, since of freedom are all pluses in my book.

There are those out there, that no matter how you slice it are miserable and discontent, and those of us that are happy and apply our knowledge and desire to do well wish they would change careers. But since that is not going to happen, we just brush it off and go about our own success.

Being only 19, you will be limited to driving Intrastate until you turn 21. That will be when your opputunities will increase and be able to see all 48 and Canada. With some luck, good attitude, a will to learn and be taught you could more than likely land a job local to get some experience before trying for a interstate position. Most companies that play by the rules will more than likely still require you graduate from a driving school or go through their training program.

Anyhow, I need to get off to orientation Day 3. Good luck with your future. Keep us up to date.

Horseman
Principles are, without question, the fastest way to what I want."
Author Unknown

OOIDA
Old 06-13-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allan5oh

It's the stubborn SOB's that refuse to adapt to todays trucking that are suffering. These old coots are still buying a new truck every 3 years, a big wind catcher, with their favorite "big cat engine" and wonder why they're having a tough time making money.

Good luck.
EXACTAMUNDO!

i also recommend getting your own truck----eventually. But i first recommend that you learn how to fix one.

Alright, here are the main problem areas in trucking as i see them. Now, if you decide to go local, the following will generally not apply. You can make good money local and still have a fairly normal home life.

1)Where are you going to sleep? How are you going to sleep? And, will you get enough sleep?
Sounds simple, but have seen a truckstop after say 5PM? And the noise. Have you tried sleeping with all the noise? Maybe you should ride-along with your relative and try it out.
In addition, as you may know, trucking is a 24/7 operation. This means your schedule might be unpredictable. Which means your sleep patterns will be unpredictable. Can you handle it?

2) Will you get enough miles?
Let's face it, we get paid by piece-work; The more miles we do, the more we get paid. Can the company supply you with enough work(miles)? Or will they have you sitting alot? If so, i hope you have found a company with a decent delay/layover pay system.

Many will complain, but it's what YOU make of it. I've got three cars and rent a fairly large and nice place in a nice area. And, last year this time i had over 20K in the bank. I was not able to do that with any previous type of job i've ever had.

BTW, i don't feel that this is an "average guy" job. You can make 50, 60, 70K+ in this field and that's certainly above average.
Old 06-13-2007, 05:42 PM
Senior Board Member

Get your experience and either get into either a local position where you are paid by the hour, (or if you just can't get away from the road) get into a specialized segment of the industry, such as hauling chemicals or over-dimensional freight.

Unfortunately, even the highest mileage paying general freight companies still pay $0 for when you sit for the most part, validating the old saying, "If the wheels aren't turning, you aren't making money."

U.S.M.C. '89-'95 0351 (Assaultman), '95-'99 6531 (Aviation Ordnance)...IYAOYAS!
U.S. Army '00-'01 67S (OH-58D Crew Chief/Repairman)

"Pain is weakness leaving the body."

"Nobody ever drowned in their own sweat."