User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-09-2007, 03:09 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Mexican trucks development

I haven't seen anyone post this but there's been a vote:

http://usgovinfo.about.com/b/a/217610.htm

Apparently they've voted to severely scale back on allowing Mexican trucks into the US.
Old 06-12-2007, 11:02 PM
Senior Board Member

No, they haven't if you read the article.. its still 100 trucking companies in a pilot program. The only place that the program was ramped up is in the minds of the normally uninformed and the insta-bigots.
Old 06-13-2007, 12:04 AM

I was keeping up with this on OOIDA. The original program was going to allow an unlimited number of trucks into the US from those 100 companies. Now they are suppose to be limited to 1000 trucks from each company, but that is still 100,000 trucks.

Also the rules were suppose to stiffen the rules on the Mexican trucks as if that is going to happen. The best I can hope for is that they need to be able to speak english and understand our road signs. That they would have to follow US HOS rules. That this doesn't make truck drivers pay to start to spiral downwards.

To tell you the truth, I rather these Mexican truck drivers come work for US companies. That way they would be earning average US wages and not 10 to 20 cmp that could drag down US wages. They would make more to send to their families. They would have to follow HOS rules, and under tougher standards with better trucks. But they would still be taking jobs away from American truck drivers though.

From the impression I'm getting is that Mexican trucks are worse than the older beat up trucks that are barely allowed on the roads, and would have to be retired in a few months.
Old 06-13-2007, 01:02 AM

If you look at the text of the legislation you'll see they've prevented the Secretary of Transportation from granting access to Mexican trucks outside of border areas except for the pilot program. That means Bush's plan to automatically grant unlimited access after one year is history.

Also the 1,000 truck number is the total number, not a per company number.

They've also mandated the the Secretary of Transportation study the impact of such things as effects on public safety and compliance of the Mexican companies with our HOS laws and truck safety laws.

There's 4 versions of the bill:

http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/query/z?c110:H.R.1773: