User Tag List

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2007, 03:05 PM
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Default Pulling Hills...and does this bug anybody else ?

You have all seen this I'm sure...unless your a flatlander.
Drivers that make a Run at a hill and don't have the power to hold the speed. So they get hung out in the 2nd lane ( trucks right two lanes only ) without enough power to pass the slower trucks in the right lane..so both lanes become blocked with slow moving trucks.
Old 05-27-2007, 03:46 PM
floored
Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)

You must be talking about the grapevine going south on the I-5
Old 05-27-2007, 04:16 PM

No specific hill, but it happens on the Grapevine plenty I'm sure.
I have a hill on the fwy right by were I park so I see drivers doing this all the time.
Old 05-27-2007, 04:55 PM
Senior Board Member

You know not too long ago I was out west, I don't even remember where,
and this guy tried to get past me. Maybe we were coming off a slight incline where I was slowed down a bit anyway as I got moving again the guy that tried to pass couldn't get by me. I had it on cruise control and I was in the right lane so I just stayed at the same speed, but this guy next to me was holding up traffic (on I 10).

Anyway, I hear some guy on the cb call out to me asking if I would just let the guy over so he could move on, so I said no problem and slowed down to let him in. But man the guy on the CB made such a big deal out of it, thanking me and saying something about being the bigger man and how professional that was. But I was thinking that really slowing down for a minute doesn't cost me anything and to be honest I don't like being in a cluster of vehicles so it was just no big deal. But it made me wonder if people out there on a whole have that attitude that they don't want to let someone get in front of them. I mean this guy made such a big deal out of it like he was shocked that I did that.

Don't get me wrong, in my short time out there, I don't like people getting in front of me just to slow me down, if you are going to pass well stay ahead of me. But to let a guy in is really no big deal.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:27 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4
and this guy tried to get past me. Maybe we were coming off a slight incline where I was slowed down a bit anyway as I got moving again the guy that tried to pass couldn't get by me. I had it on cruise control and I was in the right lane so I just stayed at the same speed, but this guy next to me was holding up traffic (on I 10).

Anyway, I hear some guy on the cb call out to me asking if I would just let the guy over so he could move on, so I said no problem and slowed down to let him in. But man the guy on the CB made such a big deal out of it, thanking me and saying something about being the bigger man and how professional that was. But I was thinking that really slowing down for a minute doesn't cost me anything and to be honest I don't like being in a cluster of vehicles so it was just no big deal. But it made me wonder if people out there on a whole have that attitude that they don't want to let someone get in front of them. I mean this guy made such a big deal out of it like he was shocked that I did that.

Don't get me wrong, in my short time out there, I don't like people getting in front of me just to slow me down, if you are going to pass well stay ahead of me. But to let a guy in is really no big deal.
This happens to me all the time. Yeah, it's irritating to have to take it off cruise control, but it's the right thing to do.
Old 05-27-2007, 05:39 PM
Senior Board Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrick4

When I am passing on a hill I always check to make sure I am not going to hold up a fast truck. If I am holding up a fast truck I will back out of it and merge back to the right if I am not making any headway. For me there is no firm rule about passing uphill, it depends on my load and the trucks ahead of me.

I also see some of you owner operators come charging up the hill and pass me, but without enough power to climb the hill, or a heavier load than I have, and I will walk right past you a couple minutes later as gravity kicks in and my 475 Cat starts to purr.

Now I don't pass when climbing a hill if I don't have at least 5 mph on the truck ahead of me, but when I do I am not going to keep in the right lane just in case one of you faster trucks might come along, sorry. I have somewhere to be as well, and I don't want to be stuck behind a 61 mph JB Hunt anymore than you do. :wink:

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 05-27-2007, 06:21 PM
Senior Board Member

One time I watched a guy take 7 miles to make the pass. Dorks.
Old 05-27-2007, 06:49 PM

I had a lady trying to pass me for over 45 minutes on and off. I was light and had my cruise on 65 and no problems on the hills. She would scream down the hills then come up the hill and creep just a little behind me but losing like 1/2 mph. She held up lines of traffic over and over again. The last time she was right beside me and not going to make it again so she ran me into the breakdown lane.

She then bitched at me that she had her directional on so she had the right of way. I then kicked in all 550 horses and blew her off and also flipped her off as I passed. I then set the cruise at 66 so she couldn't do it again.

She then proceeded to have a complete hissy fit on the CB. I didn't respond at all and she got even more pissed. She said she was going to find me in a truck stop and cut my liver out.
Old 05-27-2007, 07:01 PM
Senior Board Member

I personally think that all of you who aren't governed at 65 should set your cruise at 66 or 67. That will keep us 65 mph trucks from becomming annoyed when you slow to 63.5 mph on a slight hill that doesn't faze us, but doesn't slow you enough to be passable.

Nothing is foolproof to a talented fool.
--------------------------------------------
The Road goes ever on and on
Down from the door where it began.
Now far ahead the Road has gone,
And I must follow, if I can,
Pursuing it with eager feet,
Until it joins some larger way
Where many paths and errands meet.
And whither then? I cannot say.

-- J R R Tolkien
Old 05-27-2007, 08:25 PM
Senior Board Member

The worst is when I'm pulling a hill 15mph faster than anyone else in the middle lane and some idiot jumps out in front of me because he's going 2mph faster than the slow truck. i've been guilty of left-laning around these people at 60mph :x